A forum for cigar lovers.

Welcome to Cigar.com Sign in | Join | Help
in

Habanos Cohibas

Last post 04-29-2013, 8:08 AM by blurr. 45 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (46 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous
  • Habanos Cohibas

04-24-2013, 11:59 AM

First post and dumb question.

I bought a box of 25 of these in the Dominican Republic (still here) for a friend, now a former friend. He doesn't want them now because he says they're too much money. I have no idea but I think I got a good deal according to others. The box is sealed with a stamp. The store won't take them back, or, rather they will with a 1000 peso ($40) penalty. My question is can I sell them in the US? Should I bite the bullet and pay the $40 penalty? I'm hesitant to dispute the charge because international credit card rules generally don't side with the consumer, at least that's my experience. I'll be back next week. Thanks, glenn
  • Re: Habanos Cohibas

04-24-2013, 12:07 PM

Pictures will help...... Welcome to the forum

04-24-2013, 12:18 PM

i say take the penalty and tell jackazz he owes u!
    Dr. M

Member-Redneck Mafia

04-24-2013, 12:18 PM

I don't know why you would not be able to sell them in the US. Might not be worth your time, though. Why not keep em and smoke em?

"Not for fame or reward, not for place or for rank, not lured by ambition, or goaded by necessity, but in simple obedience to duty, as they understood it, these men suffered all, sacrificed all, dared all -- and died." - Arlington National Cemetery

04-24-2013, 12:20 PM

• Joined on 04-18-2010
    • the commonwealth of PA
    • Posts 1,008
    • Top 200 Contributor
    Pictures will help definitely. If they are the Cuban type, definitely can't be sold in the US (legally ahem). Taking a 40 dollar cut on a box of Cohibas isn't much. Getting a good deal on cohibas, thats a bit in the "you may have fakes" category. Anyways post up some pics for us, so we can give you some suggestions. If they are of the "forbidden fruit" type, you won't have any trouble finding someone in the US to pay well above your cost to help you move them to a new home. Just can't do it legally, if you know what we mean.

----------------
    j0z3r:

How am I supposed to say no to this? Le Bijou AND EP Carillo. F*ck you cigar.com, stop taking all my money.

04-24-2013, 1:22 PM

blurr:
    Pictures will help definitely. If they are the Cuban type, definitely can't be sold in the US (legally ahem). Taking a 40 dollar cut on a box of Cohibas isn't much. Getting a good deal on cohibas, thats a bit in the "you may have fakes" category. Anyways post up some pics for us, so we can give you some suggestions. If they are of the "forbidden fruit" type, you won't have any trouble finding someone in the US to pay well above your cost to help you move them to a new home. Just can't do it legally, if you know what we mean.
    Yeah... I wouldn't raise too much of a fuss with credit card company's either (You are from the U.S., correct?) That's a good way to receive a letter from the U.S. treasury threatening you aka you're caught!

As mentioned, a U.S. citizen cannot legally buy, trade for, receive for free, sell, or have in their possession anything cuban, no matter where it is bought/received (Unless you're a Cuban/American who I believe there are exceptions for)

So be smart.

Don't Habano's have a verification code on the seal? You go to the Habanos web site, type it in, see if it's legit, and if the product that it links to that unique code is in fact the cigars you have in your possession. Instant verification.
    Lancero Lovers of America - Honorary Prez

-- Tony, "Give me those long and skinnies!" --

04-24-2013, 1:41 PM

The store came recommended by several people so I have to believe they're the real deal. [notwithstanding the penalty they want to charge.] A box of 25 cost $225.

I won't smoke 'em myself because I hear it's no good for my health. Haha, I just made a zillion enemies here. I just don't enjoy smoking. I'd give them away one at a time, but I don't know if I know 25 people that would appreciate them.

Can someone tell me if I got a very good deal or do you need more info? If I didn't get an incredibly fantastic deal, I'll incur the penalty. And how long will they last without fancy storage? Like I said, I'll give them away to appreciative people; I just don't know if I know that many people who smoke cigars. Offhand, I can think of 0, haha.

04-24-2013, 1:43 PM

Oh, I'd post pictures if anyone's interested and if someone could show me how to do so.

04-24-2013, 1:44 PM

Usually they are not the real deal in the islands, but you just may have lucked out. You would need to tell us the size or name of the cigars in question (unless I missed that somewhere) for us to tell you if you got a good deal or not. Look up the code to verify they are legit like grey noted above.

04-24-2013, 1:48 PM

I can think of about, oh...25 people off the top of my head that would appreciate a legit one ;)

"Not for fame or reward, not for place or for rank, not lured by ambition, or goaded by necessity, but in simple obedience to duty, as they understood it, these men suffered all, sacrificed all, dared all -- and died." - Arlington National Cemetery

04-24-2013, 2:01 PM

oh yeah, authentic Habanos come out with strict pricing from the manufacturer if the deal is incredibly good they are most likely fakes.

04-24-2013, 2:14 PM

gsusser:
    Oh, I'd post pictures if anyone's interested and if someone could show me how to do so.
    Photobucket.com - upload the image to photobucket and selsect the IMG code. Paste this code directly into the message on the forum. If you need more help PM me.

04-24-2013, 2:16 PM

I checked the Habanos site and I think got a raw deal, bummer. The code is 000003 394086. I got a response on the site to recheck the number. The box has the Cuban stamp that you see on the Habana site but also has a sticker that reads HABANOS and underneath DENOMINACION DE ORIGEN PROTEGIDA. Protegida = protected. Also on the stamp there is D.O.P. - that generally stands for dominican pesos. I don't see anything about the size of the cigar.

And yes, I'm from NJ which is arguably part of the US. So, I guess I won't find too many sympathetic G-Men.

Did I mention that I hate my boss?

04-24-2013, 2:24 PM

pictures please. close ups of the cigar band. picture of bottom of the box.
    www.blindmanspuff.com

04-24-2013, 2:26 PM

that code comes up as "Warning Non registered code for Habanos S.A."

userbarz.com
Page 1 of 4 (46 items)   1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML