Home General Discussion

Does smoking in totally humidified B&Ms affect the exposed cigars on display?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Two of the three shops closest to me have cigars exposed to a smoke filled environment. I've never asked or even heard or read of this being discussed before so I'll have to ask it myself even if it may seem like a dumb question. Does smoking in in totally humidified cigar shops in any way affect the cigars that are exposed to the smoke?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a good question, and something I have wondered myself. Most B&M's I have been to have a separated room for the humidor, so only a negligable amount of smoke is around the cigars. But, I have seen a couple where it is just one large room, lounge, cigars and all.

I know old cigar smoke can get acrid and musty smelling... will the cigars in the shop start to taste like that too? I find the thought of other people blowing smoke all over cigars I'm about to put in my mouth slightly offputting.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good question. I never really thought about cigar smoke before. But my wife burns candles all the time and where I keep my humi's is just right off the kitchen with all its smells when cooking and it's never affected my sticks. But it might affect cigars left out in the open.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Very good question. I never really thought about cigar smoke before. But my wife burns candles all the time and where I keep my humi's is just right off the kitchen with all its smells when cooking and it's never affected my sticks. But it might affect cigars left out in the open.
    These B&Ms are totally humidified displays and lounge combined and I've wondered about the effects, if any.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when i toured factories in Nicaragua there was a sign in one of the factories (i wish i could remember what one) that said no smoking. we asked about it and they said it meant no smoking cigarettes because that would have ill effects on the tobacco. when we asked about cigar smoke they said that cigar smoke was no problem
  • StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    Kuzi interesting you say that. The B&M that I go to doesn't allow cigarette smoke. Is that the general consenses ?
    kuzi16:
    when i toured factories in Nicaragua there was a sign in one of the factories (i wish i could remember what one) that said no smoking. we asked about it and they said it meant no smoking cigarettes because that would have ill effects on the tobacco. when we asked about cigar smoke they said that cigar smoke was no problem
    Thats pretty interesting little tidbit there. I'm guessing its because of all the chemicals that are found in cigarettes but are leached out of cigar tobacco due to the curing process.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Off topic. Why did MVW rate this thread one star?
    Rhamlin:
    kuzi16:
    Thats pretty interesting little tidbit there. I'm guessing its because of all the chemicals that are found in cigarettes but are leached out of cigar tobacco due to the curing process.
    And cigarette smoke just plain stinks. Cigars at least have a nice aroma, before it gets a little stale. Much more penetrating of an odor from cigarettes.
    Rain:
    What do those stars do? I forgot they were there... i clicked it
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    What do those stars do? I forgot they were there... i clicked it
    As far as I know, it's just a way to rate threads.
    Stsepas:
    Kuzi interesting you say that. The B&M that I go to doesn't allow cigarette smoke. Is that the general consenses ?
    no cigarettes in the humidor at my B&M.
    Rain:
    cos he is a big jerk-face.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Mebbe he just got NMFS (Nervous Mouse Finger Syndrome), which is where your finger inadvertently twitches as you go over a link. I know it happens to me, on certain sites, when I see certain pictures.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But in answer to the question, though, I have never seen a place to smoke near naked cigars. Doesn't sound like a good arrangement.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I wonder if that's really the case or if theyjust let you guys touring smoke cigars ... Are the workers allowed to smoke cigars in the no smoking area?
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    I wonder if that's really the case or if theyjust let you guys touring smoke cigars ... Are the workers allowed to smoke cigars in the no smoking area?
    Good question, I'd be curious to know too ....
    I wonder if the policy varies between factories as well.

Because after all .... isn't the "reason" the DE Undercrown was created was that the workers/rollers were smoking too many LPs at the factory??

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

yup. a few were. not many. they were working way to fast to keep grabbing a cigar.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Stsepas:
    Rain:
    Didn't know I did, must of accidentally hit something, never rated before, LOL
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
    Rain:
    Fat fingers like "BORK"
    Rain:
    You too Gray?!?!?!
    kuzi16:
    Stsepas:
    Rain:
    LMBO??
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    I would imagine that a store that allows smoking inside would have a decent air exhaust system so everyone doesn't get smoked out. When you went into your b&m was the room just clouded with smoke?
    Actually at a b&m last night in Appleton, WI and there is a sign on the door absolutely NO cigarette smoking in accordance with state laws. But ok to smoke cigars, pipes, hookahs.
    asianbiker8:
    I would imagine that a store that allows smoking inside would have a decent air exhaust system so everyone doesn't get smoked out. When you went into your b&m was the room just clouded with smoke?

Yeah, It kinda was smokey. In fact the last time I was there the place was packed for an event but usually it's not too terribly bad. I prefer to smoke outdoors if at all possible but I like to go there and be sociable so I'll have to put up with other people's smoke when I do. But I've been wondering about all those cigars on display. I'm probably not refined enough to be able to tell any differences but I wanted to ask a larger audience. Common sense tells me it would affect the taste but I've never heard of it being discussed.
    Rain:
    Rain:
    You too Gray?!?!?!
    I told you I clicked it!! I didn't know what I was doing!!
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    Rain:
    You too Gray?!?!?!
    So, do I rate stars or not? LOL
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    Rain:
    You too Gray?!?!?!
    I'll give you 5*!
    Gray4lines:
    Bob Luken:
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    Rain:
    You too Gray?!?!?!
    I'll give you 5*!

:)