Davidoff Nicaraguan Puro

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
i am going to have to try this.

Nicaraguan Havana-seed Rosado wrapper
Jalapa Binder
Estel

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kelner does the Avo's, right? I just started getting into those and I really like them.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I'll be interested to see what he can do with Condega and Ometepe fillers really. Plasencia is making top notch medium Nica's right now, so I don't see why Henke cannot. If it's overpowering crap, I'll pass...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    If it's overpowering crap, I'll pass...
    yup.

so many people associate nicaraguan tobacco with power. i would love to see this change. im getting very bored with cigars that are so strong you wobble when you stand up. i dont want to need to eat a a huge meal just so i can smoke a cigar.

the good news is that Davidoff is known for refinement, subtlety, and complexity.

the bad news is that Davidoff has been breaking from that tradition more and more often. i really hope they dont break tradition on this cigar. i fear it will.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    There is no telling, as some of the offerings from them and Zino loose the complexity when blended for power. Condega has an earthiness to it that can be terrible, and you can taste the volcano in Ometepe... It's not so much power, as it is finish. I have no problem smoking a powerful Habanos, because the finish will not burn my palate out. If the finish is good, I could care less really, as long as the power is not overshadowed by a terrible finish in my mouth. Plasencia/Manolo and Padron do a good job at this, and lately some stuff form DPG has as well, but very little. The tobacco is there, it just isn't being blended with the right stream of thought. Hopefully, Henke can follow suit of what Plasencia/Manolo are doing right now.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I'm always a sucker for Condega and Ometepe. I'm also always a sucker for a Rosado wrapper, though mostly Dominican Rosado (Fuente) but this sounds like a step in the right direction. Who knows though, could be garbage.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    I'm always a sucker for Condega and Ometepe. I'm also always a sucker for a Rosado wrapper, though mostly Dominican Rosado (Fuente) but this sounds like a step in the right direction. Who knows though, could be garbage.
    This is exactly what I was thinking!
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I smoked a prototype of this cigar in Toro size. It was given to me by my friend who is a senior marketing executive of Davidoff cigar. I met him couple times in Nicaragua while he was collecting some aged Nicragaun tobaccos for Davidoff. Davidoff Crown Series Emperor Limited Edition 2009 and 2010 blended with Nicaraguan Piloto ligeros tobacco. It received good response who enjoy full bodied cigar. My friend and Kelner always oppose the idea but the new Davidoff management are more into market share than original Davidoff cigar(mild to medium with complex flavors and aroma). I have mentioned that in some of my previous posts.

However though Emperor Edition is very good cigar but they are very expensive. the loyal Davidoff customer did not refuse them but the sells were slow. However, at the same time, Davidoff also realized that there is a market for strong cigar. They wanted to add a line with Nicaraguan tobacco with moderate price. The result is- Davidoff Nicaraguan Puro.

The cigar taste very different than any other Davidoff with more Nicaraguan chocolate, coffee and black pepper flavors with hints of mild floral aroma. it is very easy to detect the origin from its taste. Though the wrapper is 10 + years aged with seven years aged fillers but the Nicaraguan power is also there. Ometepe tobacco is the most expensive Nicaraguan tobacco. The origin of this tobacco is Cuban seed Criollo based. The Ometepe islands unique soil, temperature and humidity add some unique crispy, sweet and earthy taste. This is why Davidoff picked up this tobacco for the blend because Henke always love sweet and specially earthy flavor. Daniel Numez of General Cigar first brought smokers attention to Ometepe tobacco when he used it in his Partagas Decadas Limited edition cigar with Cameroon wrapper. Ometepe tobacco goes well with medium bodied cigar. Jose Blanco also used in his Cuenca y Blanco blend. However, there is also a weaknesses of Ometepe tobacco, it lacks strong flavors and aroma. I will write a separate thread about my tour in Ometepe tobacco plantation and the tobacco some other time.

I had only one stick and I enjoyed the smoke but can't say that I loved it. My friend told me, it was a prototype so I should reserve my comment until I smoke few more. he also told me, I was critical as a traditional Davidoff smoker. Though he opposes the strong cigar idea but he believes it will be another hit in the market. I will hold my reserve until I smoke at least one more but at the same time wouldn't hesitate to say that it was a business decision. It is sad how Davidoff is reacting to the market demand more than their old time loyal customers demand. Anyway, who am I to criticize their business decision?
    rzaman:
    It is sad how Davidoff is reacting to the market demand more than their old time loyal customers demand. Anyway, who am I to criticize their business decision?
    did he tell you that to "make room" for this new line of cigars they are discontinuing the Davidoff 3000 (7 x 33), 4000 (6.1 x 42), and 5000 (6.6 x 46)? those are some amazing smokes that are being lost. only the 1000 (4.6 x 34), 2000 (5 x 43) and 6000 (5 x 48) will remain.
    also the Millennium Blend Lancero and special C are being cut. yes, it sucks we are losing those cigars also, but what they are doing to the thousand series is a travesty. the 4000 and 5000 were amazing smokes and its a damn shame to see them go.
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    I got excited when I read the first post. Then I read the rest of them.... This is sad! Guess it's time to start trying more of them before they drop them!
    I will ask him and get back to you. I think time to stock up some of them before they disappear from the market.
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:
    It is sad how Davidoff is reacting to the market demand more than their old time loyal customers demand. Anyway, who am I to criticize their business decision?
    did he tell you that to "make room" for this new line of cigars they are discontinuing the Davidoff 3000 (7 x 33), 4000 (6.1 x 42), and 5000 (6.6 x 46)? those are some amazing smokes that are being lost. only the 1000 (4.6 x 34), 2000 (5 x 43) and 6000 (5 x 48) will remain.
    also the Millennium Blend Lancero and special C are being cut. yes, it sucks we are losing those cigars also, but what they are doing to the thousand series is a travesty. the 4000 and 5000 were amazing smokes and its a damn shame to see them go.
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    Can't really say I'm a fan of Davidoff. Of course I have not had many... but 20 bucks for something smaller than a robusto...no thanx.
    Jasonc1982:
    Can't really say I'm a fan of Davidoff. Of course I have not had many... but 20 bucks for something smaller than a robusto...no thanx.
    quality over quantity.

for the record the entire thousand series is under $17.
    both maduros are under $20
    all of gran cru under $17
    all classic under $18
    puro d'oro under $17.50

maybe it isnt for you and i respect that, but dont base if you like it or not on price alone.
    there are a ton of things i love in life that are too expensive for me but i still love them, i just cant have them at the moment.
    +1 There is nothing like a quality Davidoff cigars. Infact, there is no bad Davidoff cigar. On top of all, a Cuban Davidoff is always the best cigar in the world.
    kuzi16:
    Jasonc1982:
    quality over quantity.

for the record the entire thousand series is under $17.
    both maduros are under $20
    all of gran cru under $17
    all classic under $18
    puro d'oro under $17.50

maybe it isnt for you and i respect that, but dont base if you like it or not on price alone.
    there are a ton of things i love in life that are too expensive for me but i still love them, i just cant have them at the moment.