Home General Discussion
Options

A Different Kind of 'Cigar Safari' (AKA "The World is Pretty Awesome So Far!")

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
Well gentlemen (and apparently there are a few ladies here these days!).... I've been making my way about the European continent for just about the last month, and in the process I've been making an exploration of the cigar culture. Mind you, I am not regularly buying cigars, nor did I bring any with me; instead, I find each new (generally major) city to be cause for celebration, and what better than a visit to the finer tobbacconists? Here are some of the photos I've taken; they definitely vary in quality, as all are with my phone camera and it does very poorly without excellent lighting. Also, I apologize if the sizing is (and it most likely is) off - I'm trying to use Photobucket like I normally do, but it's on my tablet and I can't easily resize; if you click on them though, it should take you to the full album.

This was my first stop - Cigarworld Dusseldorf, Germany. This is the kind of lounge most of dream about gentlemen! An absolutely incredible selection of not only Habanos, but most of the brands we see in the US as well. Pair that with a vast complement of spirits and bar service, plus cold plates and leather chairs. Without a doubt, I could get used to this place. The cigar pictured is a Partagas Serie D No. 4

These next two were from a visit to Freiburg, Germany (very southern Germany, in the Black Forest). All of the finer tobacconists in Germany appear to have full complements of spirits. Here I enjoyed an excellent glass of Edmundo Dantes rum and a Montecristo Petite Edmundo (thought I would keep the same vein).

These next are from today in Rome;I first lit up my pipe while sitting at the Trevi Fountain and utterly enjoying people-watching. "Fincato" is the LCDH here, and they had a wonderful, very private setup. I elected to enjoy my cigar walking about the ancient city, and in this case it was a Ramon Allones Edicion Limitada 2011 (how many of you can claim a cigar photo with the Colosseum and the Arch of Constantine??? LOL):

If interested, feel free to check back to this thread; to CCom, if you have any objections to this, I understand will not be offended at removal.

¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    You're a lucky man Hays! Enjoy brother!
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful pictures. Sounds like you're having the time of your life. Enjoy and savor every second brother! Best wishes on your travels
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    Beautiful pictures. Sounds like you're having the time of your life. Enjoy and savor every second brother! Best wishes on your travels
    A big +1!
  • Options
    skweekz:
    Nacho.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pics, Hays. Been following your adventures on fb too....Very jealous. Enjoy the rest of your journey and be safe.

Any word on that job in London?
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    what up mister david hays. way to leave CA and go to a legit habanos store. i hope you get the sharts from too much mussels and frites
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RVCA ftw!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    Awesome pics, Hays. Been following your adventures on fb too....Very jealous. Enjoy the rest of your journey and be safe.

Any word on that job in London?
    Yep, actually I did, last week... They filled the position. No worries, I still have plenty of cool stuff to see! But I'll still be in the UK come January anyhow, perhaps another shot then.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Very nice David...thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Well I'll be updating this thread with some more photos come next week, methinks - headed to Seville, Spain on Monday. From what I understand there's only one decent cigar store there, but they do have a cool sight I'm looking forward to: the Royal Tobacco Factory building, from the 18th century and the first place tobacco became processed on a consumer basis in Europe. Stay tuned, if you're interested! :-)

-Hays

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, David. Nice trip so far. Say, you wouldn't need an assistant, would you?? I could carry bags and iron shirts and things. I don't eat a lot anymore, either. Just send the first-class tickets to me and I'll hop a flight outta here. LOL....

• Options
    Hays...come back and give us an update.
  • Options
    ....still waiting!Hope you're doing well bro.
  • Options
    Rain:
    ....still waiting!Hope you're doing well bro.
    Man, never did see this! As it turned out, that last update of mine (headed to Seville, Spain) turned out prety good! Met my now-wife :-)

• Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pics brother!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    youngryan216:
    Awesome pics brother!
    Thanks man, just put up some more in another thread, guess I should probably migrate them here

• Options
    I still look at these pictures get the urge to go travel :) Being a history buff and only knowing stuff from books and movies, it would be cool to see some stuff for myself. I mean, smoking a cigar near the Colosseum? I'm convinced it must be a zen moment.I've done some traveling myself, airports in Germany and Ireland, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan and Kyrgyzstan. Would be nice to go somewhere where the people might not like you but are not trying to kill you. ;)