Home General Discussion

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

Well I started college today, and reviewed my schedule to find that I have an hour and a half break in my day on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You would think that this would be a perfect time to go lounge in the furniture outside of the cafe on campus and enjoy a nice stogie, but the college decided to go completely smoke-free as of today. Just my luck. So now instead of actually smoking and listening to music outside, I'm in here on my laptop bugging the crap out of everyone on CCOM. You have my college to thank for my presence here today.

Comments

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    That sucks. You live on campus too, or are you able to enjoy a stick at the end of the day?
  • jthanatos:
    That sucks. You live on campus too, or are you able to enjoy a stick at the end of the day?
    No, I live at home and drive about 20 minutes to campus. So I can definitely still go enjoy a cigar at my house, it just would have been a convenient way to break up my day.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That completely sucks, lounging on campus during breaks and having a smoke was always a good time. Also a good place to meet with friends and have a smoke. Homework is always better with a cigar too!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Gray4lines:
    That completely sucks, lounging on campus during breaks and having a smoke was always a good time. Also a good place to meet with friends and have a smoke. Homework is always better with a cigar too!
    I definitely plan on smoking while I study for big tests and what not.
  • The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    You said you wanted to get back on the forums more, to bad you can't enjoy a cigar while doing it
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Smoke anyway... Ladies will think you're an outlaw and dudes will respect it
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That suckkksssss dude!!!
    LAME!!!! I'd be pissed.

I'm pretty sure the anti-smoking brigade is trying to pass a smoking ban on Ohio college campuses as well - (if it hasn't happened already)....
    I guess I'll find out next time I go back for an alumni weekend and fire up a stogie....see what happens.

But it could be worse....some of the bigger apartment management/rental companies and condo associations around Columbus have already banned smoking from their properties. Both indoors and out....could you imagine, owning a condo and being told by the "association" that you could not smoke on your property, that you pay for!?!?!?!! Not sure about the details or how it would be enforced, but still...these anti-smoking regulations are getting out of hand.
    /rant

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    That suckkksssss dude!!!
    LAME!!!! I'd be pissed.

I'm pretty sure the anti-smoking brigade is trying to pass a smoking ban on Ohio college campuses as well - (if it hasn't happened already)....
    I guess I'll find out next time I go back for an alumni weekend and fire up a stogie....see what happens.

But it could be worse....some of the bigger apartment management/rental companies and condo associations around Columbus have already banned smoking from their properties. Both indoors and out....could you imagine, owning a condo and being told by the "association" that you could not smoke on your property, that you pay for!?!?!?!! Not sure about the details or how it would be enforced, but still...these anti-smoking regulations are getting out of hand.
    /rant
    There are a couple sub-divisions near me that tried to go both smoke free and dry in their home owner agreements. These are 1 acre+ lots... and you can't do what you want on them... the dream of home ownership seems to be fading fast.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    +1 lol
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    That suckkksssss dude!!!
    LAME!!!! I'd be pissed.

/rant
    There are a couple sub-divisions near me that tried to go both smoke free and dry in their home owner agreements. These are 1 acre+ lots... and you can't do what you want on them... the dream of home ownership seems to be fading fast.
    WTF is wrong with people trying to trample on peoples personal freedom in their own home or on their own property. I bet they smoke pot on their property and think nothing of that.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    Well I started college today, and reviewed my schedule to find that I have an hour and a half break in my day on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You would think that this would be a perfect time to go lounge in the furniture outside of the cafe on campus and enjoy a nice stogie, but the college decided to go completely smoke-free as of today. Just my luck. So now instead of actually smoking and listening to music outside, I'm in here on my laptop bugging the crap out of everyone on CCOM. You have my college to thank for my presence here today.
    The Puritans are in charge. Nowhere more so than academia.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Good point.
  • ShotgunJohn:
    Lasabar:
    +1 lol
    I'm probably going to. The only problem is that our campus public safety is worthless unless they can enforce the rules on someone who appears to be harmless. Maybe a neck tattoo would get me off the hook...
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just do like most people do. Fight the fight and smoke anyways. I know a city that passed an ordinance and the local tobacconists said screw them and continued to let their customers smoke. No one said a word. Because people who do not like tobacco avoid tobacco shops and it has no impact on them. They eventually succeeded in reversing the stupid ordinance.

I will smoke as I see fit and of course use common sense. No smoking in the park near kids. I feel sorry for the idiot who decides to comment about my cigar smoking in the negative. I might just make someone cry.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    ShotgunJohn:
    Lasabar:
    +1 lol
    I'm probably going to. The only problem is that our campus public safety is worthless unless they can enforce the rules on someone who appears to be harmless. Maybe a neck tattoo would get me off the hook...
    Dooo eeettt.
    As jsnakes says, as long as you use common sense and aren't standing next to a building entrance deliberately blowing smoke in the faces of passer-bys, I don't see why it would be a problem.

And if your campus safety people do show up ---- what can they do, (seriously, any idea what the "punishment" is for breaking this rule?)??

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jsnake:
    Just do like most people do. Fight the fight and smoke anyways. I know a city that passed an ordinance and the local tobacconists said screw them and continued to let their customers smoke. No one said a word. Because people who do not like tobacco avoid tobacco shops and it has no impact on them. They eventually succeeded in reversing the stupid ordinance.

I will smoke as I see fit and of course use common sense. No smoking in the park near kids. I feel sorry for the idiot who decides to comment about my cigar smoking in the negative. I might just make someone cry.
    Yeah, I'm probably going to end up taking a fold up chair and smoking in the parking lot by my car, away from annoying public safety. And I can completely understand why people don't enjoy smoke around children, and other people like that. As long as you use common sense and courtesy, I feel oppressed when people tell me that I'm not allowed to smoke outdoors at my own free will.
  • Duke2Duke2 Posts: 393
    I am glad that graduated from college in 1976 before all this no smoking crap started. I can just imagine the reception that the campus police would have received had they came to my Frat House because of smoking or drinking.

My Frat House resembled Animal House the movie. PI KAPPA ALFA
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I have a two hour break between classes at lunch as well. I spend it in the library doing homework. I'm pretty sure there's nowhere on campus I could smoke anyway. I don't think I'd want to though, I don't find being at school very relaxing.
    Russ55:
    I have a two hour break between classes at lunch as well. I spend it in the library doing homework. I'm pretty sure there's nowhere on campus I could smoke anyway. I don't think I'd want to though, I don't find being at school very relaxing.
    That's odd, some of the best sleep I ever got was in college lectures.
  • Big TexBig Tex Posts: 142
    jthanatos:
    That's odd, some of the best sleep I ever got was in college lectures.
    +1
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be relaxing if you smoke! ;)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Yeah, I'm just now starting to feel comfortable at my college. There are just a lot of thugs that all want to be bada**es and mean mug you. So if you can get past all the little gang bangers, it's not too bad.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    Yeah, I'm just now starting to feel comfortable at my college. There are just a lot of thugs that all want to be bada**es and mean mug you. So if you can get past all the little gang bangers, it's not too bad.
    samuel jackson dem summamabitches
  • jliu:
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    Yeah, I'm just now starting to feel comfortable at my college. There are just a lot of thugs that all want to be bada**es and mean mug you. So if you can get past all the little gang bangers, it's not too bad.
    Say WHAT. ONE MORE TIME!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    jliu:
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    Say WHAT. ONE MORE TIME!
    Ain't you seen none of my movies? THIS IS HOW I TALK!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    jliu:
    OldBlueEyes2012:
    Say WHAT. ONE MORE TIME!
    Ain't you seen none of my movies? THIS IS HOW I TALK!
    IT'LL GET YA DRUNK!