Home Non Cigar Related

I hate remodeling. Post remodel stuff here

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Getting to the finishing stage on remodeling one of our bathrooms.
It's been a royal pain in the rear, but now that the sink and counter top are in, all that is left is paint, moulding and some little finishing things.

Oh yeah, if you ever install lights with bulbs that stick out, don't put the bulbs in until after you are moving around all the big stuff. It's amazing how little it takes to break them.

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    looks good, i feel your pain, i spent the weekend moving the washer and dryer to the other side of the basement
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    It's been a royal pain in the rear, but now that the sink and counter top are in, all that is left is paint, moulding and some little finishing things.

nicely done brother
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.
    The counter top was on sale for $60.
    The sink was a returned item, so got it for $40. The faucet was on sale for $78.
    We bought the sink cabinet and the medicine cabinet from a restore place for $20 each.
    The light was $10 from Home Depot and the wall wood was left over flooring from the bathroom floor.

When you are broke, it's amazing what you can accomplish for little money. LOL!

It actually cost more for the plumbing fittings and PEX piping, than it did everything else.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience:
    Thanks guys.
    The sink was a returned item, so got it for $40. The faucet was on sale for $78.
    We bought the sink cabinet and the medicine cabinet from a restore place for $20 each.
    The light was $10 from Home Depot and the wall wood was left over flooring from the bathroom floor.

It actually cost more for the plumbing fittings and PEX piping, than it did everything else.
    a budget shopper, more money for cigars! lol thats next in the basement full pex, to bring the water pressure back up! damn you galvanized pipe! DAMN YOU!!
    reggie713:
    0patience:
    Thanks guys.

a budget shopper, more money for cigars! lol thats next in the basement full pex, to bring the water pressure back up! damn you galvanized pipe! DAMN YOU!!
    LOL! I just got rid of a crap load of galvanized. If you go PEX, buy the crimper. The barbed fittings are far less money than the push in fittings. But I'll tell you right now, that PEX is great stuff to work with. It can be a little stiff to get in certain areas, but it will bend around most things with out kinking.

And buy about 25' more than you think you will need. I had to make another trip to the store to get more.

And you have no idea how much water pressure you are losing from galvanized until you put pipes in that have actual flow. Our master bathroom still has galvanized in it and the water pressure difference is really noticeable between the 2 bathrooms now.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Tony, if you don't mind I'd like to tag along and post a pic of my kitchen that I just finished on here instead of starting a new thread.
    danielzreyes:
    Tony, if you don't mind I'd like to tag along and post a pic of my kitchen that I just finished on here instead of starting a new thread.
    Great idea! We can make this a remodeling thread.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Looking good Tony. Hope you finish it soon. I am really learning something new from this thread. I have no idea about remodeling.
    0patience:

Oh yeah, if you ever install lights with bulbs that stick out, don't put the bulbs in until after you are moving around all the big stuff. It's amazing how little it takes to break them.

Thanks Rip!
    I'm gonna take a break from it for a week and then do the finish work.
    Actually, I'm taking a break from it until payday. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    0patience:

Friggin sweet Tony!
    Here is a picture of the bathroom a few weeks ago.

Completely gutted and in the midst of all the plumbing going in.
    This was at the point where I was scratching my head thinking how I was in way over my head. LOL!

The wall where the orange hose is, is the wall where the sink now resides.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Before
    Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)

After
    Wow! That is really nice!
    You added a skylight or recessed ceiling? Looks great!
    Love those counter tops.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Nicely done gentlemen.
    I worked in the remodeling trade for more years than I care to remember and your work ranks high on the scale.
    Great craftsmanship.
    Thanks for the kind words guys I really appreciate it. This was something that I was quite proud of because I did most of the work myself. From demo, drywall, taping, texture, patch work and paint. I had some help with the upper cabs.
    I'm a field tech for a countertop co. so I designed and help fabricate from granite slabs. The most challenging obstacle believe it or not was the damn plumbing underneath the sink.

I recessed the ceiling and added recess lights. It still needs to be patched up, textured and painted. I'm gonna take a break though. Since I got this house my weekends have been taken up by more remodeling projects. I have till Thanksgiving to do it. So till then, I'm just gonna enjoy my house and spend time with my wife and kids.
    Wow...very nice Daniel. What a transformation.
    danielzreyes:
    Before

After
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    before

after
    let's see what you are trying to hide there- Culebra, Jonny-O, Por Larranaga, Punch(not sure), Boliver and San Cristobal De La Habana.
    jliu:
    before

after
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    let's see what you are trying to hide there- Culebra, Jonny-O, Por Larranaga, Punch(not sure), Boliver and San Cristobal De La Habana.
    jliu:
    before

after
    wow. great eye Rip! they're all cigars that bandy Todd sent me a few months ago. Still go 80% of those babies in my humi. I absolutely love smelling that humi (it has all my CCs). I just smelled it again (just now). oh my gorsh!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a basement thread somewhere. I am doing drywall now and what a pain in the rear. That stuff makes a huge mess. I almost have 2 closets done and will begin the main room soon. Time and money. Time and money.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fiance wants to get a "fixer-upper" house and do some remodeling to it.....this thread is giving me second thoughts. LOL

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jliu:
    before

after
    wow! you actually made the second pic, even more blurry! awesome
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I've stayed away from this thread on purpose because I've remodled too much. My only advice to any of you who are married or about to become married is NEVER LET YOUR WIFE WATCH "DIY" OR "THIS OLD HOUSE" OR "HGTV". It'll only lead to pain, suffering, torment, debt, and endless trips to the Home Depot.

My advice is to love the house you have just the way it is and buy a boat. You can pour just as much money into it, but you'll have a lot more fun doing it.
    My problem is wanting to do things to a house we know we are not going to stay in. It might be a couple years to 5 before we look at moving but we know we are not staying. Right now I am finishing my sub basement and basement which will help us in selling. There are many other things I would like to change or upgrade but where do you draw the line. I am not sure what would be a good return on investment. Can't wait to get this sub basement done to show you guys start to finish.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jsnake:
    My problem is wanting to do things to a house we know we are not going to stay in. It might be a couple years to 5 before we look at moving but we know we are not staying. Right now I am finishing my sub basement and basement which will help us in selling. There are many other things I would like to change or upgrade but where do you draw the line. I am not sure what would be a good return on investment. Can't wait to get this sub basement done to show you guys start to finish.
    Just think of all the hours you could be wasting away on some lake somewhere.....
    JDH:
    jsnake:
    Just think of all the hours you could be wasting away on some lake somewhere.....
    A boat is on the list for sure and the wife supports it 100%. She loves fishing so I am lucky. Hopefully next summer we will become owners. One nice thing about my house is I have large deep garages so I already know I can get a boat and trailer in there.
    jsnake:
    JDH:
    jsnake:
    A boat is on the list for sure and the wife supports it 100%. She loves fishing so I am lucky. Hopefully next summer we will become owners. One nice thing about my house is I have large deep garages so I already know I can get a boat and trailer in there.
    A boat is a big hole in the water you throw money into.
    Or...........you pay someone like me to do the repairs. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Weekend project. Kitchen Ceiling
    danielzreyes:
    Weekend project. Kitchen Ceiling
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Good Idea! That's looking great