Home General Discussion

cigars=spitting?

Just curious if anyone else has had this ..."problem?" I tend to spit a lot when I smoke a cigar. It seems I get heartburn if I don't... is it just me or does anyone else go through this? I mean spit more than when I chew. I normally gut my dip so I find this odd. Thanks guys

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run into it a lot. That is why I usually have a pepsi or something with me when I smoke.
    I chew copenhagen, so I know what you mean.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Usually I spit a lot with Bery peppery cigars but cigars like padron annies and oliva mb's don't make me salivate. I've never gotten heart burn though! How long do you rest your sticks? It could help aging them a bit to get a lot of the pepper out and having a more refined smoke. But that's all I got sorry if it doesn't help
    Money can't buy taste
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If I don't have a drink, I spit a lot. For some reason milder cigars don't make me wanna spit as much as spicier or full bodied cigars. But regardless of the cigar - without a drink, I always spit after the initial light; puffing so much to get the cigar lit just builds up so many juices that it's disgusting to think of swallowing
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    If I don't have a drink, I spit a lot. For some reason milder cigars don't make me wanna spit as much as spicier or full bodied cigars. But regardless of the cigar - without a drink, I always spit after the initial light; puffing so much to get the cigar lit just builds up so many juices that it's disgusting to think of swallowing
    +1. I too wondered if i was all alone in this...
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke indoors and you won't have this problem. As far as the heartburn, it happens to me if I have a cigar immediately after I eat.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you may be smoking to fast.

slow down. get a toro over 90minutes. closer to 2 hours would be better.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I used to do that when i was younger just getting into cigars I think it is due to the nicotine and not being used to it. I was a smoker so I love the peppery smokes and it does not bother me anymore. As you become more used to it you will spit less. I could never put my finger on it until I used nicotine gum and found a similar sensation.
  • Gaetano7890:
    I used to do that when i was younger just getting into cigars I think it is due to the nicotine and not being used to it. I was a smoker so I love the peppery smokes and it does not bother me anymore. As you become more used to it you will spit less. I could never put my finger on it until I used nicotine gum and found a similar sensation.
    I have smoked 2 packs a day for the last 14 years..ive chewed for the last 7. Levi Garret whole leaf tobacco chew. lol i dont think getting used to it is the problem. Ive smoked 2 gars a day for 2 years. so i dunno. Plus like i said I gut my dip so its not like i cant stomach the nicotine or the tobacco
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    Gaetano7890:
    I have smoked 2 packs a day for the last 14 years..ive chewed for the last 7. Levi Garret whole leaf tobacco chew. lol i dont think getting used to it is the problem. Ive smoked 2 gars a day for 2 years. so i dunno. Plus like i said I gut my dip so its not like i cant stomach the nicotine or the tobacco

what do u dip/chew
  • Medic45:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    Gaetano7890:

what do u dip/chew
    Levi garrett, Redman(gold pouch), Skoal wintergreen, Camel Snus Frost
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    Medic45:
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    Gaetano7890:

what do u dip/chew
    Levi garrett, Redman(gold pouch), Skoal wintergreen, Camel Snus Frost

Grizzley Natural Fine Cut tastes like original Cope with out the cost....
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I don't know then I just had a very similar issue as you wrote about and can remember having to spit constantly. I love what used make me sick embrace it and enjoy the ride.
  • Gaetano7890:
    I don't know then I just had a very similar issue as you wrote about and can remember having to spit constantly. I love what used make me sick embrace it and enjoy the ride.
    see it also puzzles me because VERY rarely d i smoke anything out of the mild-medium realm...who knows
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Spitting is for quitters.. enjoy the fullness of the potato profile. Embrace its starchiness
  • bigfnsteve:
    Spitting is for quitters.. enjoy the fullness of the potato profile. Embrace its starchiness
    effin really?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Dude...how do you age cigars if you smoke that much and only have a 20/50ct? You need a cooler broseph. I don't spit...maybe a good wet liquor would help??
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Dude...how do you age cigars if you smoke that much and only have a 20/50ct? You need a cooler broseph. I don't spit...maybe a good wet liquor would help??
    Maybe potato vodka?
  • catfishbluezz:
    I keep the bottom of my humi lined with older cigars. alot of what i smoke i buy directly and smoke within a day or 2. And I have the capacity to hold 70. I usually spend 50 a week at the smoke store. rediculous. Id love to hav a cooler but with the Fiance on maternity? ya not happenin I havent bought a cigar in 2 weeks. With the raping I took last week im good but still it sucks cuz id love to run out get some beads and fill up a cooler. but thats out of the question. Now im on a mission to smoke whats in this tupperdor before they go bad. lol And ya i need to start drinking ore i guess when I smoke.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I had that problem a whole lot when a first started, but now i have slowed down a lot, and its a much cooler smoke that tends to be easier to handl and much more flavorful. I tend to have a drink on hand (not always though) either water, coke, some kind of citris soda, or my favorite a YooHoo!
  • NOBLE 6NOBLE 6 Posts: 34
    I found myself spitting more than usual. This has been alleviated by drinking some ice water, definitely helps.
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Smoking stimulates the saliva, I also find myself spitting and drinking h2o a lot.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Smoking slow OR fast, I drool like a teething child when I smoke. Even The RobbyRas' dog laughs at me. LOL

• Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Smoking slow OR fast, I drool like a teething child when I smoke. Even The RobbyRas' dog laughs at me. LOL

LOL...I tend to smoke outdoors anyway, but I spit like a fiend. I have to maintain my fluid intake, or I go down with dehydration. :P
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

haha - i know the feeling. (well I get weird looks from my dog, never met RobbyRas' dog but I'm sure it would give me funny looks too)

I sometimes wonder where all the saliva comes from (I know, salivary glands, duh)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some it seems a passing phase, It's been happening to me for 40 years, still end up spitting. More so if I'm without something to drink. I've wondered if it wasn't "learned" back when I chewed tobacco, and the body still simply responds that way to the nicotine.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Amos Umwhat:
    For some it seems a passing phase, It's been happening to me for 40 years, still end up spitting. More so if I'm without something to drink. I've wondered if it wasn't "learned" back when I chewed tobacco, and the body still simply responds that way to the nicotine.
    I was thinking the "learned behaviour" thing to or the heat of the inhale/smoke etc. Who knows
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    Just curious if anyone else has had this ..."problem?" I tend to spit a lot when I smoke a cigar. It seems I get heartburn if I don't... is it just me or does anyone else go through this? I mean spit more than when I chew. I normally gut my dip so I find this odd. Thanks guys
    I only spit when I am outside. Otherwise I have no urge to spit. What I am drinking or even if I am drinking anything doesn't change that. It is an environmental effect for me.

Note: I have never chewed or smoked cigarettes. Never did snuff. Cigars were my first venture into tobacco.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I spit largely bc while cigar smoking does not generally increase the probability for lung cancer it significantly increases the risk for oral and esophogeal cancer. The increased risk is, in part, due to swallowing of saliva containing smoke delivered carcinogens. That is according to the National Cancer Institute. A recent report from them also said, "People who decided to quit will also see an improvement in their overall quality of life." Clearly that is a highly suspect statement. :-)
  • NOBLE 6NOBLE 6 Posts: 34
    dowjr1:
    I spit largely bc while cigar smoking does not generally increase the probability for lung cancer it significantly increases the risk for oral and esophogeal cancer. The increased risk is, in part, due to swallowing of saliva containing smoke delivered carcinogens. That is according to the National Cancer Institute. A recent report from them also said, "People who decided to quit will also see an improvement in their overall quality of life." Clearly that is a highly suspect statement. :-)
    D@mn, I'm doing it right then. Eliminating the carcinogens.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    A. dump the camel snus check out Thunder frosted raw that will give you a good bunch of nicotine and doesn't have any of the american crap. Further more any swedish snus is was better than any of the american stuff and a lot safer to use due to a lower nitrosamine(sp) content. Ok I'm done with that rank. To stop the heart burn trying a good sweet rum on the rocks like cruzen or kraken or just have something with a good sugar content right before should stop the heart burn.