Home General Discussion
Options

What is your favorite brand/manufacturer? WHY?

Subject says it all.. will post on this topic later.

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    1. Padron
    2. DPG/AJ this tie cannot be broken, it changes daily
    3. Liga
    Padron is what got me into smoking. I always tend to have a decent amount of natural's in the humi and always will. The anny maduro's are unbelievable IMO and one of few cigars I look at the price tag and say...yup it's worth it. I cannot think of any other cigar I wuod be willing to pay $20+ for and nto have a problem with it, although I have several in the humi waiting for that and I'd imainge those who've had Behike's might chime in. The Opus is amazing too, but I can't justify the price tag for some reason when people inflate the retail.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    1. Padron
    2. DPG/AJ this tie cannot be broken, it changes daily
    3. Liga
    Padron is what got me into smoking. I always tend to have a decent amount of natural's in the humi and always will. The anny maduro's are unbelievable IMO and one of few cigars I look at the price tag and say...yup it's worth it. I cannot think of any other cigar I wuod be willing to pay $20+ for and nto have a problem with it, although I have several in the humi waiting for that and I'd imainge those who've had Behike's might chime in. The Opus is amazing too, but I can't justify the price tag for some reason when people inflate the retail.
    ....are you reading my mind?
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    Padron will always be my first love!
    2. Illusione Epernay
    3. LADC before and after DPG started blinding for them
    4. AF
    5. Kristoff

Everytime I smoke a Padron it's as if it was made just for my specific pallet. They are really the only brand of cigar that i enjoy both natural and maduro lines. Also all of their anniversary series are amazing. I totally agree with Catfish when saying that a Padron cigar is well worth the money!
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Davidoff. I like Dominican tobacco more than Nic, Honduran, and Cuban, and I like the things Kelner does with it. Additionally, their consistency and quality of manufacture is second to none, imho.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    AJ. I've never had even one stick with any burn or construction issues. I like the consistency in construction like that. It also seems a high percentage of his blends really sit well on my palate. It almost feels like I told him what I'm lookin for and he blended it. /fanboy dissertation
  • Options
    1. Arturo Fuente 2. Liga 3. Oliva arturo got me into smoking gars. 2nd off and I rest my case on this one ROSADO GRAN RESERVA! Liga is just the most consistent to me ive gotten the same flavor out of every blend respectively time after time theyve never treated me wrong. ever. Oliva won my attention permenately with the Connie Reserve, Price taste construction appearance everything is perfect. and Serie V G maduro and their master blends... cant say anything bad bout any of em
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    Davidoff. I like Dominican tobacco more than Nic, Honduran, and Cuban, and I like the things Kelner does with it. Additionally, their consistency and quality of manufacture is second to none, imho.
    Interesting. I agree that Kelner does amazing blends with Dominican tobaccos...and I guess for that matter so do Litto Gomez and the Fuentes. I can't help but have a bias against Dominican tobacco being weak and flavorless, and that's probably from smoking poor to average quality dominicans that were represented as something better than what they actually were.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Arturo Fuente. The reason? The highest quality, and consistency.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Cuban Cohiba Gran Reserva, Behike, San Cristobal La Habana, Robina's Don Alejandro

Padron 1926 #9, 80th anniversario, 45th Family Reserve

Arturo Fuente's Don Carlos Annivesario, Opus X

Viaje Oro Reserva # 5

Davidoff Crown Series, Millenium Blend

Complex flavor profile and consistency
  • Options
    cprsupermancprsuperman Posts: 17
    Padrón - top to bottom the best around
    Illusione- I always have some in the humidor
    Tatuaje - Pete makes some fantastic sticks
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I smoke anything and everything AJ during the day. A. Fuentes come out at night.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Fuente. Something about their flavor profiles.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Davidoff all the way.
    everything they do is nothing short of amazing.
    Davidoff (of course), Avo, The Griffin... heck, even the 3x3 is fantastic.

Dominican Tobacco is anything but weak and flavorless. they just produce SO MUCH tobacco in the dominican. the good stuff gets gobbled up by good blenders and the crap is stuck with people that cant or wont pay for good tobacco. since there is so much of it, it goes CHEAP. hence TONS of mediocre cigars with dominican tobacco and a few that are done right.

that being said, i find that i like Honduran tobacco better than dominican. there is a round nuttiness to it that i find in no other tobacco, especially stuff in the Jamastran Valley. Camacho is a close second (though i know they are part of Davidoff i tend to view them as a different company because the people at Davidoff dont actually blend the Camacho line they just own it) but i feel that Davidoff just has more subtitles, complexities, refinement, and i have been finding myself shying away from the ultra full cigars that camacho tends to produce.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to go with Torano. Because out of all the manufacturers, I like most of their cigars. There are a lot of manufacturers where I only like a few of their lines.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

If you talk about a single tobacco producing country then Cuba is always ahead. Cuba is the only country which exclusively make Cuban Puro and has no intention to blend with other countries.

Tobacco can be weak(some Dominican) or strong(Honduran or Nicaraguan) but both can be full of flavor and aroma. General cigar, Altadis mostly use average Dominican tobacco, that is why they are weak and can be with less flavor. Dominican Piloto Cubano is medium but very flavorful tobacco. Dominican Yaque valley produces some excellent tobacco. Outside Cuba most of the cigar producing countries blend their cigars either with Nicaraguan, Honduran, Dominican, Ecuadorian, Brazilian, Peruvian, Indoneshian, Mexican, US or Cameroon tobacco for wrapper, binder of filler. Opus X, some La Flor Dominicana cigars are entirely Dominican puros.

Honduras produces some good puros because Camacho is the only company in the world outside Cuba who successfully produces first generation Corojo Seed tobacco with Davidoff quality construction.

I would say each country has unique taste to offer and outside Cuba each country offer unique flavor, aroma and strength to the cigars. I am not sure, I would say Dominican tobacco is weak and flavorless. Overall Dominican Republic still produces some great tobacco in my opinion.
    kuzi16:
    Davidoff all the way.
    everything they do is nothing short of amazing.
    Davidoffr (of course), Avo, The Griffin... heck, even the 3x3 is fantastic.

Dominican Tobacco is anything but weak and flavorless. they just produce SO MUCH tobacco in the dominican. the good stuff gets gobbled up by good blenders and the crap is stuck with people that cant or wont pay for good tobacco. since there is so much of it, it goes CHEAP. hence TONS of mediocre cigars with dominican tobacco and a few that are done right.

that being said, i find that i like Honduran tobacco better than dominican. there is a round nuttiness to it that i find in no other tobacco, especially stuff in the Jamastran Valley. Camacho is a close second (though i know they are part of Davidoff i tend to view them as a different company because the people at Davidoff dont actually blend the Camacho line they just own it) but i feel that Davidoff just has more subtitles, complexities, refinement, and i have been finding myself shying away from the ultra full cigars that camacho tends to produce.
  • Options
    rzaman:

I would say each country has unique taste to offer and outside Cuba each country offer unique flavor, aroma and strength to the cigars. I am not sure, I would say Dominican tobacco is weak and flavorless. Overall Dominican Republic still produces some great tobacco in my opinion.
    OpusX, a Dominican Puro is not weak and flavorless.
    LG by litto Gomes is a Dominican Puro and it is not weak and flavorless.
    5 Vegas Relic (though not as good) is not weak and flavorless
    Davidoff Puro d'oro is not weak (medium in body) and flavorless,

as i said before, it has more to do with the blender and how the tobacco is used than the country of origin.
    all the Ligero gets bought up and used by the blenders willing to pay for it and the rest of it needs to go somewhere. lower quality cigar manufacturers buy it up and use it in very mild cigars.

there is weaker Honduran and Nicaraguan tobacco as well. Baccarat, a Honduran puro is pretty mild.
    the JdN Cabinetta is a mild Nicaraguan cigar.
    again, thats the blender. not the tobacco.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    If you talk about a single tobacco producing country then Cuba is always ahead. Cuba is the only country which exclusively make Cuban Puro and has no intention to blend with other countries.
    I disagree with this strongly. There are plenty of bad cuban cigars. I don't mean a bad stick in an otherwise good box or a bad batch. I mean a flavorless, crappy line.

Here we do not see it as often because who is going to spend the money and effort to get a crappy cuban into the US. People only bring in well known brands recommended by others. Go elsewhere in the world you'll find just as many flavorless, mild or crappy cigars Cubans as you do Non-Cubans in the US. There is even a huge market for machine made cubans.

Also Cubans are only puros because of their government. If private industry was there I guarntee you'd see cuban wrappers on nicarguan fillers, etc. There are plenty of blenders using cuban tobacco, they just have a hard time getting it and aren't able to import a cigar using it into the US.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    1. Fuente

2. Padron

3. Oliva

With the exception of the Opus line (and thats just my palete) these manufacturers put out top notch cigars no matter what the price tag is, and each and every one of their blends is outstanding.

Also with a single exception (Oliva's Master Blends III), Ive never had a cigar from them that had ANY sort of construction issue (such as plugs, extremely tight or loose draw, needing consistent touch-ups on the burn, etc). That is HUGELY important to me, as I light cigars to smoke them, not fight with them.

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Oh and my favorite brand blenders. This is always a "at this moment thing for me" but:

EPC, Kelner, AJF

Its hard for me leaving DPG off of here but like I said it's a right this moment thing. And those 3 are not in any particular order.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:

as i said before, it has more to do with the blender and how the tobacco is used than the country of origin.
    all the Ligero gets bought up and used by the blenders willing to pay for it and the rest of it needs to go somewhere. lower quality cigar manufacturers buy it up and use it in very mild cigars.

there is weaker Honduran and Nicaraguan tobacco as well. Baccarat, a Honduran puro is pretty mild.
    kuzi, I think you got derailed by an errant comma here. I think what he meant to say was "I am not sure I would say Dominican tobacco is weak and flavorless." With no comma, meaning he doesn't think it is weak and flavorless.

I could be wrong though.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    Interesting. I agree that Kelner does amazing blends with Dominican tobaccos...and I guess for that matter so do Litto Gomez and the Fuentes. I can't help but have a bias against Dominican tobacco being weak and flavorless, and that's probably from smoking poor to average quality dominicans that were represented as something better than what they actually were.
    Yeah, it's the better Dominican tobaccos that I love. There's alot of crap out there that I agree is weak and flavorless. Probably not coincidentally, Litto Gomez and the Fuentes are my 2nd and 3rd favorites.

Also, I'm not saying I don't like Nic, Honduran, and Cuban tobacco. I do. I really like Honduran quite a bit, and Cuban would probably win over it if it wasn't such a pain in the ass (Consistency, difficultly of getting, etc). I know it's "easy" to get, but it's still a pain compared to other countries, to me at least. I guess I'm lazy. I'd rank Nicaraguan as my least favorite, but I still smoke it, and enjoy it when I'm in the mood, but it has a heavy, palate staining quality that I don't always care for.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Arturo Fuente. Because I love most of their cigars and they are very consistent (good construction, nice flavors, fantastic aroma, smoothe, complex). I too prefer Dominican. Then Honduran is next.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    1. Aj 1. I have had only 3-5 tight pull issues with his cigars and they were all churchill which I do not tend to enjoy. 2. I enjoy every cigar I smoke that he blends and if it is not from AJ I seemed to be disappointed. 3. Even the milder cigars he blends still burn on the retrihale which I love. 2. DPG I love alot of his cigars but the main reasons he is number two is I have had several pull issues which seem to take away from flavor and enjoyment. 3. Fuente One of the frist cigars I fell in love with was the Hemmingway but as my palate changed and I started to love stronger blends Fuente just did not have anything strong in my price range. I have had one lost city opus X and it burn awful and unraveled from the foot. Not blaming it on the brand but it does turn you off when you pay 35 for a stick and then think I could of had 3 MOW ruinations and a PA and been alot happier. 4. Drew Estates 1. Lige Privada LP 40 great stick loved every minute of it but probally will never have another. MUWAT great complex stick but second one I had expanded and almost blew up. It was in the middle of winter but never had it happen with any other cigar and I smoke all winter outdoors. AJ just appeals to my palate and am happy to pay 5- 12 for a cigar I love that never dissapoints.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree to AJF "at this moment". La Herencia Oscuro Fuerte is my daily for now. This is my first post and hope to be a part of many more.
  • Options
    Vision:
    I have to agree to AJF "at this moment". La Herencia Oscuro Fuerte is my daily for now. This is my first post and hope to be a part of many more.
    not to jack up the thread but welcome!
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Right now I'm liking AJ's MOW's (all of them) and Padron Anniversaries WHY?... because the taste and smoke good...
  • Options
    You got it Ken. Thanks for the clarification. Sometime typing in iPad is not easy or I am new with iPad-:)
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:

kuzi, I think you got derailed by an errant comma here. I think what he meant to say was "I am not sure I would say Dominican tobacco is weak and flavorless." With no comma, meaning he doesn't think it is weak and flavorless.

I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    skweekz:
    AJ. I've never had even one stick with any burn or construction issues. I like the consistency in construction like that. It also seems a high percentage of his blends really sit well on my palate. It almost feels like I told him what I'm lookin for and he blended it. /fanboy dissertation
    Lol, AJ Fanboy...thats probably how i would be described. The last 40 or so cigars that ive bought have been AJ's stuff, i just really like what he blends. As for a brand i'd go with 5the Vegas right now, they are inexpensive, and i really like most of their line that ive tried especially the cask strength II, AAA (an AJ blend that is a personal favorite lol), and the classic.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    Yeah, it's the better Dominican tobaccos that I love. There's alot of crap out there that I agree is weak and flavorless. Probably not coincidentally, Litto Gomez and the Fuentes are my 2nd and 3rd favorites.

Also, I'm not saying I don't like Nic, Honduran, and Cuban tobacco. I do. I really like Honduran quite a bit, and Cuban would probably win over it if it wasn't such a pain in the ass (Consistency, difficultly of getting, etc). I know it's "easy" to get, but it's still a pain compared to other countries, to me at least. I guess I'm lazy. I'd rank Nicaraguan as my least favorite, but I still smoke it, and enjoy it when I'm in the mood, but it has a heavy, palate staining quality that I don't always care for.
    I think this just goes to show how each tobacco producing region has its own unique taste and personality. To this day, the best blend I've had (the LFD Cameroon Cabinet) is Dominican and Nicaraguan filler...and that's why rather than say this region is better than that region is better than that other region, I'm of the opinion that while each country is unique and good in its own way, blending is the best way to showcase what is great about each country.

This kind leads me a bit off topic to a thought I have often...why does one need to be better than the other, especially when the good qualities can be combined to make something better than the individual parts are capable of? I always see talk of "this being better than that", or "this isn't as good as the other one", etc..., and I don't know if it's just an American attitude about clearly defining the best or what. Or maybe I'm just doing that thing again where I overthink the situation.

• Options
    it may be an american attitude. it may not be. i dont claim that Honduran tobacco is better than nicaraguan, i do say that i enjoy it more than nicaraguan.

to me this like asking who is the greatest guitar player ever. once you get to that top level it is so difficult to say what makes one better than another and some people have different styles and qualities that there is really no saying who is the "best" so its all subjective.

tobacco is all subjective. i mean, coke, or pepsi? Abita or stone? Pinot noir or Cabernet?

how do you develop criteria for whats "better?"

maybe thats why the thread is "favorite" not "best"