Rip's Cigar Journal

Last post 04-11-2014, 9:54 PM by catfishbluezz. 741 replies.
Page 1 of 50 (742 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous
  • Rip's Cigar Journal

04-29-2012, 5:15 PM

2006 was the 30th anniversary of the Don Carlos cigar created by the Fuenete family, Carlos Fuenete, sr. Since 1976, Fuente family has been making Don carlos line. The regular Don Carlos is made with Cameroon wrapper. In a tribute to his father, carlito Fuenete has created the Don Carlos 30th Anniversary cigars, Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario. The cigar is blended from select aged tobaccos grown at Chateau de la Fuente, rolled by most skillful torcedos. Carlito swapped out the Camerron wrapper and added Shade Grown wrapper he uses on Opus X. This is truely a rare cigar in the market

The cigar is beautiful head to feet. The double bands are beautiful. The wrapper is caramel color with very little veins. This is truly an extremely complex cigar with sweet raisin, woody, earthy, sweet coca, vanilla, roasted nut, espresso flavor and aroma with round flavor and long complex finish. The cigar is medium to full bodied. I do not hesitate to say - this is one of the top five non-Cuban cigar in the market.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Shade grown Rosado leaf

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican same as aged Opus X. I believe the fillers has something different. There is distinctive sweet raisin aroma which does not exist in the Opus X.

1/3: First puff starts with clean spicy flavor. With in couple puffs, the spice tone down and relaxed with sweet coca note with very mild sweet raisin and espresso under tone. I am drinking iced water to enjoy the full flavor. There no harshness at all. it is all about complexity, flavor, aroma, sweet aftertaste. The top of my tongue is enjoying the spice but the middle of the tongue is enjoying the mild sweet raisin, espresso aroma, the back of the tongue can feel the delicate mild tobacco bitterness which is not unpleasant at all.
    Photobucket
    2/3: I am midway through the cigar now. The sweet coca and raisin flavors are stronger and cedar, woodsy aroma is dominating the spiceness. At this point the mouthful, creamy texture declares with unique complexity and long finish. Roasted nut has been added to the flavor profile which reminds me of a regular Opus X. Perfect burn with perfect draw. I feel slight leathery note with sweet mild chocolaty aroma. I believe this is the best moment of this cigar.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this moment the cigar is full bodied finish with bold coca, cedar, roasted nutty aroma. The strong spiciness is back and dominating the full flavor profile. This is the example of a perfect complex cigar. The mild vanila tone is gone, the coca flavor is gone. Now its all about strength, spice and woodiness with slight leather tone. Top of my tongue is full of spice, middle of my tongue is enjoying the leathery, woody under tone, back of my tongue is full of sweet, peppery tobacco bitterness. The smoke is extremely complex with round flavor. Though it is full bodied but I can still retrohale with creamily, delicate flavors. I am in love with this cigar.
    Photobucket
    Is this cigar worth the price? Yes, worth every single cents. I am willing to buy more of this cigar- single or a full humidor

Lord Ripon
  • Re: Don Carlos Edicion De Aniversario Toro

04-29-2012, 5:27 PM

As I sit here and smoke my LPH morado,, I am puff........exhale..... besides myself with envy...Very Nice review love the Photos,,,and I hate you......puffff......exhale!!!!!!

"If You Are Going Through Hell, Keep Going" Winston Churchill

04-29-2012, 6:06 PM

another great review
    Man O' War badge recieved 04/01/12

04-29-2012, 6:13 PM

Nice man, Nice! Even after having these cigars aging for 5 years I still find them to be really strong. Not including the 2 years they are aged at the factory.

04-29-2012, 6:17 PM

True it is still strong but must mellowed out after seven years of aging. I can not compare because I wasn't a cigar smoker back then.
    rwheelwright:
    Nice man, Nice! Even after having these cigars aging for 5 years I still find them to be really strong. Not including the 2 years they are aged at the factory.

Lord Ripon

04-29-2012, 8:05 PM

rzaman:
    True it is still strong but must mellowed out after seven years of aging. I can not compare because I wasn't a cigar smoker back then.
    rwheelwright:
    I can only comment on the 5 years. I have smoked some and given a few away but I always smoke 1 a year to see how they changed. And I tell you, still f'ing strong man! I almost felt like I wasn't worthy of wearing big boy underwear.

04-29-2012, 10:43 PM

Definitely one of the best cigars Fuente has ever released.
    SMOKE INTO OBLIVION CIGAR BLOG

04-30-2012, 1:40 AM

docbp87:
    Definitely the best cigars Fuente has ever released.
    there, fixed it for ya. Fuente really fills my super premium needs, especially this stick. It is the finest stick I've had.
    My Instagram
  • Diamond Crown Maximus Stanford's 90th

05-19-2012, 1:34 PM

2006 was Stanford Newman's 90th Birthday. Fuente and Newman families are good friends and business partners for a long time. Newman Cigar company was founded in 1895 and still in business with great reputation. Definitely, they asked Fuente to create the special cigar. The first blend was same as the regular Diamond Crown Maximus blend with a 18 years aged Cameroon wrapper. However, Cameroon wrapper has very delicate sweet, spiciness and the original blend was utterly overpowering. Eric Newman really wanted to celebrate Stanford Newman's 90th birthday with a very special and balanced blend. As a result, he modified the entire blend with very aged Dominican tobacco. Both Eric and Carlito were involved to develop this blend. Some say, they used five different tobaccos in it, four from Dominican Republic and one from Ecuador. I couldn't verify this information. However, I do believe there is aged Piloto Cubano tobacco. Photobucket Photobucket
    This cigar need to be handled very carefully since this is an aged delicate Cameroon wrapper. The wrapper can easily crack and create uneven smoking. I smoked the entire cigar without any issue because I left it in my humidor for a while. I have a separated humidor just for aged Cameroon with extra humidity so the wrapper doesn't get too dry. The cigar has very balanced sweet, spicy, milk chocolate flavors. All the way creamy and relaxing smoke with perfect burn and construction. Overall it is a medium light bodied cigar. One of the best Cameroon in the market IMPO

Wrapper: Cameroon

Binder: unknown

Filler: Dominican aged tobacco and specially blended by Carlito Fuente and Eric Newman

1/3: From the first draw, the cigar produces good smoke with very mild sweet and spiciness. Sign of Cameroon wrapper. The mild spice note is very noticeable on top the tongue. I can feel the oak noted with sweet undertone. Not a very exotic start but very plesant and relaxing.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The cigar start take off from this stage with strong sweetness with milk chocolate flavor. The creamy, sweet, oak notes dominates the flavor profile. The strength starts gathering inside my mouth with distinctive round, mouthful feeling. I can feel the complexity with layers and layers of flavors. Top of my tongue can feel the spiciness, middle of my tongue can feel the mix of creamy, sweet, spicy, milk chocolate, mild coffee, cocoa, roasted nut flavors. Practically no bitterness and aftertaste but has a long finish after each puff. Sign of a truly aged tobacco and wrapper
    Photobucket
    Final/3: Now the cigar is completely medium bodies with strong spiciness. Top of my tongue is full of spice, middle of my tongue is full of above complex flavors with long finish. What a complex cigar? The cigar is telling me - dude it's enough, you are almost there. Oh, I just wish this strong sweet, spiciness exgisted at the 2/3 stage(just like Don Carlos Edicion Aniversario). Strong spiciness added with clove and nutmeg flavors. All I can say is the ultimate taste of a truly aged Cameroon wrapper.
    Photobucket
    Is this cigar worth of the price? yes, I am willing to buy more - single or a full box

Lord Ripon
  • Re: Diamond Crown Maximus Stanford's 90th

05-19-2012, 5:26 PM

Keep up the great reviews Rip. I'm liking them quite a bit. The DC Maximus 90th is a great review. I need to find one of these and when I do, I will buy a couple. Thanks again for the review.
    My Instagram

05-19-2012, 5:52 PM

KCW
    I must find this cigar.

"EL Perfecto"

05-19-2012, 11:21 PM

Sounds like a great smoke! Very nicely done review, too.

EAST COAST BOMBING CREW

05-19-2012, 11:46 PM

Rip, as always what a fantastic read and review thank you very sincerely for sharing! I had no idea that the DC Maximus was an 18 year aged Cameroon wrapper, would that still hold true for the DC Maximus that is currently available? Todd (Bandyt09) was kind enough to set me up with a double banded CRA release DC Maximus and I'm just cruious if that is the same 18 year old Cameroon wrapper? Thanks and keep the read coming!
    MoW Special Forces Badge Earned 11/3/2011
    "It'll fvck you up...!" - Curt Pickens 2nd Annual Chicago Herf 2013
    Get Lit Son!!

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you ask him to stop. If he does not, destroy him."

05-19-2012, 11:57 PM

90+ Irishman:
    Rip, as always what a fantastic read and review thank you very sincerely for sharing! I had no idea that the DC Maximus was an 18 year aged Cameroon wrapper, would that still hold true for the DC Maximus that is currently available? Todd (Bandyt09) was kind enough to set me up with a double banded CRA release DC Maximus and I'm just cruious if that is the same 18 year old Cameroon wrapper? Thanks and keep the read coming!
    That 18yr Cameroon wrapper is exclusive for this cigar (as far as I know). It is not the same as the DC Maximus standard production line.

EAST COAST BOMBING CREW

05-19-2012, 11:58 PM

Well, in reality the regular Diamond Crown Maximus(DCM) and the Diamond Crown Maximus Stanford's 90th are two different cigars with two different wrappers and blends. The regualr DCM comes with El Baho Sun Grown Wrapper. El Baho comes from Ecuador, owns by the Oliva family. On the other hand, DCM Stanford 90th's wrapper was a 18 years old Cameroon wrapper, comes from the famous German Meerappfel family in Cameroon. The wrapper was 18 years old in 2006 so now it is 24 years old wrapper.
    90+ Irishman:

Lord Ripon
Page 1 of 50 (742 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML