Home General Discussion

THE GREAT CCOM FORUM BLEND!!

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Okay guys, the talk of "Battle of The Countries Got me Thinking About a Fun Project. We are, as a group, going to blend a cigar. I think it would be a fun experiment so you guys can see what goes into a the blending process and what it takes to make a premium cigar. That said, this is going to be kind of a long process and will rely mainly on votes. I may have to make some vetos to some of the votes also, as I will know if something the group decides collectively is going to have a bad effect on the blend, but I will be open and we can discuss each step.

Phase 1: To start we will need to have a series of polls for the members to vote on. Each poll will be up for one week collecting votes and having discussion. At the end, I will tally up the votes and let you guys know what you can expect from the future cigar as we add each component.

Week 1 Poll: Body
Week 2 Poll: Wrapper
Week 3 Poll: Fillers (we can pick three so I will take the top 3 vote getters)
Week 4 Poll: Binder
Week 5 Poll: Size

(again disclaimer: I may limit options based on what I know will and wont work for the blend. Or at least I will give you guys all the options but tell you which ones are going to have the best effect on the blend as it moves forward)

Phase 2: There may be a 30 to 90 day lag between Phase 1 and 2 as we will need to make and age the cigars. I will bring in some bundles of the cigars (unbanded) and they will be available to order, by single or bundle or 5 pack or whatever you guys want. I will allow a few weeks for everyone to get their cigars, take notes and then we will open up a discussion thread about what everyone likes and dislikes. We based on what everyone thinks, I will make some suggested changes to the blend for you guys to discuss and vote on and we will go back to the factory and incorporate those changes.

In the end we will have a blend for the forum. It may totally suck or be amazing. If it sucks, we can start over from scratch and if it rocks, I will bring it in and make it available full time. Maybe even put a cool band on it that you guys can help design. Lets see how it goes. What does everyone think?

Comments

• brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    I like this idea very much!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Reinforces why everybody here is so dedicated to ccom...excellent idea.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    I love Ccom. Good idea.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sounds cool Alex. It's not every day that your average cigar smoker/armchair philosopher gets to have a hand (or at least a vote) in creating a blend. We'll get to see if the community can come up with something halfway decent.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Very, very cool, Alex. A brilliant use of the kind of collaboration these internets make possible. Whatever we come up with, I hope it makes a million bucks for you.
    Oh yeah Alex, since I live in PA, just let me know if you need me to shoot over to CCOM to taste anything or whatnot.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I've only got two words to say about this idea Alex.

FRICKIN' AWESOME!

I came to this forum because I like cigars and wanted to learn more about them. The reason that I stay is because of the people here and things like this. A year ago, I never would have thought that I might be helping to blend a cigar. I can't wait.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The logical next step is to set up a contest to send some forum members to a cigar factory to learn how to roll them...then we can roll up our own blend. Wouldn't that be something?
    j0z3r:
    The logical next step is to set up a contest to send some forum members to a cigar factory to learn how to roll them...then we can roll up our own blend. Wouldn't that be something?
    Seems to me this is a first-come, first-serve thing. You're idea, and I'm the first to jump onboad, so we're now Guest Roller 1 and Guest Roller 2.
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    This is brilliant, for all those involved, and could go on for years... :) I'm all in - this is truly interactive and will be quite a learning experience. I really really like this idea also...

Thanks Alex
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I'm extremely excited about this idea! To think a group of average joes who love to smoke cigars and come from all walks of life and all over the country, have a hand in designing a cigar...how friggin cool is that. I'm onboard. Thanks a Ton Alex!!
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    This idea is incredibly cool. Just another reason why ccom is the force to be reckoned with out there.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Alex, this is such a great idea, I'm really excited to see this process unfold.
  • robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    I'm game, count me in!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I love this idea! Everyone here talks about what goes into these cigars, I think that being part of the making/designing process will really teach everyone some of the subtleties of cigar making!
    Im in and I love it!
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    That is an awesome idea! I'm all for it.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Unbelievably awsome...I'm definitly in ...what a oppurtunity...thanks Alex ...
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Very cool idea. I can't wait for this thing to get rolling!
  • this is going to rock! I want in too!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Great idea! Count me in!!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Not to sound like a lemming, but I've got to go with the masses here. I think this is a great idea.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Way too cool. I'm definitely in!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    What a great idea Alex. I look forward to being able to participate anyway I can. Too KEWL.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    can we start with size?

i vote perfecto! HA!

would this cigar eventually be for sale at ccom?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I definitely want in! This is a GREAT IDEA with huge potential. Working with all the interested members of this forum to create a brand new cigar is a very generous offer, THANK YOU.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Are we going to do just one size though? Most manufacturers offer the same blend in different sizes for different preferences. We should do the same, except I suppose we should get a good blend first, so just one size to start and test the blend.

I do like perfectos but they are a lot harder to roll and for the initial blend might not be as consistent due to the changing ring gauge. I would say perfecto but because of these reasons I would go with something different initially like a torpedo or something similar size. Anything in the 5.5"-6.5" range with a 50-54 ring gauge would be great I think.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    This is the coolest thing anybody's suggested in a long time. I'm definitely in!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'm in, sounds fantastic!
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Count me in! How cool is this?!?! I can already see the ring design in my head.... oh wait maybe that's just the ringing in my ears.
  • iwsmith2iwsmith2 Posts: 65
    Definately count me in, i also live in pa, so i can be a taster too.