Home Cigar 101

Storing a sealed box to age

JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
OK, I'd like your help to settle an argument I have with a hardheaded ignoramus of a friend.

Let's say you've just acquired a sealed box of cigars and you've decided to age them, unopened, in the original box. Your humidor is large enough to store several boxes with no problem, and humidity is maintained consistently between 65 & 70%. Should you just drop it in & let it sit, or should you get another humidor, and store it by itself?

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I say put it in and let it sit with the rest.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Drop it in. That plastic doesn't seal hermetically.

And there's no point arguing with people like that.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    why would you need to buy another humidor? that makes zero sense.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    kuzi16:
    +1 hahaha. had the same thought Kuzi . . .

Never stored a sealed box, though, so I really shouldn't have any input on this. And honestly I don't unerstand why anyone would ever want to store a sealed box. Is there a benefit to it? I guess they would only be with themselves . . . . but that seems like a moot point to me unless I'm missing something. So please correct me if I am missing something.

Or maybe I'm just too impatient . . I like opening the boxes up too much to want to delay that.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    kuzi16:

Never stored a sealed box, though, so I really shouldn't have any input on this. And honestly I don't unerstand why anyone would ever want to store a sealed box. Is there a benefit to it? I guess they would only be with themselves . . . . but that seems like a moot point to me unless I'm missing something. So please correct me if I am missing something.

Or maybe I'm just too impatient . . I like opening the boxes up too much to want to delay that.
    Boyd, it doens't necessarily have to be a why. I have purchased boxes and by the time I have received them I have moved onto other stuff so they get put in the "20 count" and then eventually buried. I did it with a box of % Vegas Miami Toro's, what a great accident. After opening them, almost 3 years later, they were really great.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:
    Well, that's what I've been trying to tell this guy, but he's one of those "I'm never wrong" types and just couldn't agree after he said to segregate them. He also says that they should be taken out of the box...and I say he's great for testing the bull***t meter.
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    Well, that's what I've been trying to tell this guy, but he's one of those "I'm never wrong" types and just couldn't agree after he said to segregate them. He also says that they should be taken out of the box...and I say he's great for testing the bull***t meter.
    i bet he only smokes the biggest and strongest Cubans that he gets from his friend who has a friend with a cousin in Cuba.

...maybe not that extreme.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    he absolutely doesn't know wtf he's talking about.....and this is proof of that
    "He also says that they should be taken out of the box"

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that multitudinous boxes are stored whole, sealed, in the warehouses before they ever get sold to consumers. What's the difference??
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    bandyt09:
    boydmcgowan:
    kuzi16:

Boyd, it doens't necessarily have to be a why. I have purchased boxes and by the time I have received them I have moved onto other stuff so they get put in the "20 count" and then eventually buried. I did it with a box of % Vegas Miami Toro's, what a great accident. After opening them, almost 3 years later, they were really great.
    So its kind of like one of those things, where you can if you wan, but aren't missing much if you don't? If so that makes total sense. And I could see that being pretty cool to unwrap them in a few years and smoke them right out of the box. I think I'm just too impatient to not want to open em right up and at least smell em. haha.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    Now if it were me, I'd say "you know what, you're right...but I'm gonna go ahead and do it the "wrong" way and see how it goes". Some people just can't admit that a) they're wrong, or b) that their way is not the only way.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    i bet he only smokes the biggest and strongest Cubans that he gets from his friend who has a friend with a cousin in Cuba.

...maybe not that extreme.
    No, he's a Backwoods guy, but he's also an expert on EVERYTHING...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought and I may be wrong here, but if you were going to age a whole box wouldn't opening it and removing the cello from the sticks so they could marry with each other benefit them more than simply storing as is?
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I had a box of Cohiba from 2002 that I only opened in 2009. I've smoked almost all of them (think I have 5 left) and they are fanfreikentastic!. Once I open the box, I place the sticks in the humi. If I have room, they stay in the original box (not sealed, as I like to inspect them first) until I start to smoke them. The box lives in the humi as long as I can stand leaving it there.

For those who have the room to do it, the cigar box is a great way to protect your sticks since you don't have to move them around to find a stick in your humi, so aging them is easier and the sticks are protected.

• camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Rhamlin:
    Just a thought and I may be wrong here, but if you were going to age a whole box wouldn't opening it and removing the cello from the sticks so they could marry with each other benefit them more than simply storing as is?
    I often forget that the sticks you guys get from ccom have cello on every stick. Most of my box purchases are Cuban, and I haven't had a box from them with cello in over 20 year? Yes, I do remove the cello from any sticks I get, even if placing them back in the box. I don't really think that its necessary to do so, it's just my preference.

camgfs:
    Rhamlin:
    I often forget that the sticks you guys get from ccom have cello on every stick. Most of my box purchases are Cuban, and I haven't had a box from them with cello in over 20 year? Yes, I do remove the cello from any sticks I get, even if placing them back in the box. I don't really think that its necessary to do so, it's just my preference.

this is correct. it wont do much good or bad to take the cellophane off and put them back in the box. the marrying that you want to have happen will occur within the cigar. having them naked wont change much. youll just have wrapper next to wrapper and those are both the same leaves if they come from the same box.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I would be paranoid that the box would be full of beetles..lol. I would have to open the box and check. It would be just my luck to age something for ten years, open the box up and have the box full of cigar remnants and dead bugs.
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Rhamlin:
    Revisiting an old and unanswered question. Any takers?
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
    ^^^oops. Nevermind. It was answered. I didnt see there was a next page. Sorry! Carry on...carry on...
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Wow. JDH. You gotta hand it to the guy, when he says he's out he means it.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    I miss that guy :(
    Bigshizza:
    ehehat:
    Wow. I decided to check out what happened with JDH and I saw his last post. Must've really hit a soft spot for him to get so angry. = Now he thinks we're animals.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    ehehat:
    He hung on over at UH for a while longer, then stopped there too. I heard from him once or twice, was working a new career, I think. Said the level of anger that boiled up in him was too high when he offered serious and factual arguments and was met with the sound-byte rage and baloney that passes for discourse among too many of the "conservative" brethren. "Too much for my Irish temper", he said of himself.

I miss him, too.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain