Home General Discussion

What are the best cigars for A beginner with simple taste?

RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
As I sample more brands I find that my taste buds are finding greater flavor and more taste from each cigar I smoke. So my question is this. Will cigars I revisit still taste the same or will it be A completely different experience? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    As I started smoking more cigars I started noticing different "flavors" but the basic good or bad stayed the same, so far that is. But Ive heard many guys here say their tastes have changed over the years.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Different for sure. I think you'll find a greater appreciation for some, and for others you'll wonder what you ever liked about them. It's an interesting journey, enjoy it to the fullest.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    There are a few cigars that I loved for years and suddenly they changed. Example... Rock Patel 1992. And Nording. Age will change a cigars profile somewhat, as well as the conditions they are stored in. But most cigars remain fairly consistant.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will learn to discern more flavors and aromas as your pallette develops. A good recommendation is to read the descriptions, pay attention to which wrappers you like, what fillers are included and from where. Take your time, use your nose, more and more will open up to you, and you'll discover that you can get a different experience from different sizes of the same blend. My recommendation for "beginners" is to get the CCOM house blend sampler, find one with a wrapper that you like, then try other cigars with that wrapper. Have fun.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    While I don't think they are fantastic cigars, actually for this very reason, the Nub line features four fairly common, broad categories of blends, that sort of encapsulate the core essence of what each of these types of blends is all about (for instance, the Nub Habano may not be the most amazing Habano see wrapped cigar out there, but you really get a good idea of the basic common flavors, and elements present from Habano seed wrappers (same for the Cameroon, Maduro, and Connecticut). I would recommend any new smoker who hasn't had the chance to try a huge variety of styles of cigar to pick up a sampler that includes one, or a few, of each of the four blends in the regular Nub line. I would avoid the Cain nubs for now though, as the strength and body can be too much for a novice smoker.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    You must be kin to dbeckom - can't be that many Beckom's in Rockmart ;-) So first, welcome to the forums!

Anyway, from my experience (which ain't much) cigars have tasted differently to me after some time, but more importantly, the flavors in those cigars which I like or don't like have changed over time. i.e. I seem to go through a cycle of having specific flavors that I prefer, so when I'm digging on sweet coffee cocoa flavors I'm in a maduro phase and don't really want anything leathery or spicy. But after a while I'll move into a habano phase (leather/spicy/straightforward tobacco flavors). So for me it's not as much that the cigar flavor changes for me (which it does to a degree), it's more that the flavors in those cigars that I enjoy change. So in that sense, I'd say yes - revisiting cigars after a while could be a completely different experience. If that makes any sense at all...
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I have to say that now that I am taking my time smoking cigars, I am able to enjoy more and more even out of sticks or blends that I did not care for in the past. I always revisit sticks that I didn't care for just to make sure.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    While I don't think they are fantastic cigars, actually for this very reason, the Nub line features four fairly common, broad categories of blends, that sort of encapsulate the core essence of what each of these types of blends is all about (for instance, the Nub Habano may not be the most amazing Habano see wrapped cigar out there, but you really get a good idea of the basic common flavors, and elements present from Habano seed wrappers (same for the Cameroon, Maduro, and Connecticut). I would recommend any new smoker who hasn't had the chance to try a huge variety of styles of cigar to pick up a sampler that includes one, or a few, of each of the four blends in the regular Nub line. I would avoid the Cain nubs for now though, as the strength and body can be too much for a novice smoker.
    When I first ordered Nubs RB was a lil skeptical about them...since then I've given him about 20 of em and he just informed me the other day that he had smoked his last one. I really like the smaller 54 & 58 ring Nubs.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    You must be kin to dbeckom - can't be that many Beckom's in Rockmart ;-) So first, welcome to the forums!

Anyway, from my experience (which ain't much) cigars have tasted differently to me after some time, but more importantly, the flavors in those cigars which I like or don't like have changed over time. i.e. I seem to go through a cycle of having specific flavors that I prefer, so when I'm digging on sweet coffee cocoa flavors I'm in a maduro phase and don't really want anything leathery or spicy. But after a while I'll move into a habano phase (leather/spicy/straightforward tobacco flavors). So for me it's not as much that the cigar flavor changes for me (which it does to a degree), it's more that the flavors in those cigars that I enjoy change. So in that sense, I'd say yes - revisiting cigars after a while could be a completely different experience. If that makes any sense at all...
    Kevin, you're right...this is my older brother. I don't openly claim a lot of my kin folks, but Rodney is a pretty good guy most of the time :)

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest, The Gran Habano line, Pinar Del Rio, or the La Perla Habana, All decent smokes for the coin. Shoot almost forgot 5 vegas
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    I would suggest, The Gran Habano line, Pinar Del Rio, 5 vegas

+1 to all of these
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I'm going to recommend the 90+ rated sampler from c.com. It's a nice broad selection of cigar blends and you get two of each. My girlfriend got me one of these when I started out and a few of them are some real beauties.