Home General Discussion
Options

Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial

lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
I'm trying to find out if there is a visible difference between the Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial and the Oliva Serie V Ligero Especial Cigars. I think the maduro would have the word maduro writen on the band some place but do not know for sure. Was there ever a point in time that the maduros did not have it writen? The reason I'm asking is so far I had 3 people tell me that I was getting a maduro but I don't think they are maduro. Every stick I have has Liga on it.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    As far as I can recall, all of the V maduro blends have had "Maduro Especial" written on the band. I'd have to check to be certain, but I'm pretty sure. Initially, the easiest way to tell the V and V maduro apart was the ring gauge and length, as the '08 release was 6.5 x 52 and thus quite different in appearance from the V torpedo. Apparently that was too easy, so Oliva fixed the problem for us. But yeah, the band should say "Maduro Especial" instead of "Liga Especial".
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maduro says Maduro on it on the left side if you have the label facing you. All of mine do. The regular have Liga on them. As far as the past I do not know.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    As far as I can recall, all of the V maduro blends have had "Maduro Especial" written on the band. I'd have to check to be certain, but I'm pretty sure. Initially, the easiest way to tell the V and V maduro apart was the ring gauge and length, as the '08 release was 6.5 x 52 and thus quite different in appearance from the V torpedo. Apparently that was too easy, so Oliva fixed the problem for us. But yeah, the band should say "Maduro Especial" instead of "Liga Especial".

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had one tonight.
  • Options
    That's a thing of beauty RCY. I've been rationing my box of the '08, trying to smoke only one a year in November when they notch another year. So far they've been fantastic, the '09 and '10, while both good, have yet to fill the big shoes the '08 left behind.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    That's a thing of beauty RCY. I've been rationing my box of the '08, trying to smoke only one a year in November when they notch another year. So far they've been fantastic, the '09 and '10, while both good, have yet to fill the big shoes the '08 left behind.

Thanks and I only have one left. Had three that were given to me. This last one will rest for a while. It was very nice and pleasent. Almost a 2 hour smoke of cedar, coffee and chocolate.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just saw your post, sorry about that one i sent, just check my order from another cigar store and got the maddys i thought? so i check all the bands and they say liga, wtf, shoulda checked when i took them out the box, so now i sent an email asking how they can get me what i paid for as ill send these back if i can, i have about 7 left outta a 10 box torps. glad you pointed it out, jj
  • Options
    also i just found a box of 2008 from another place , so when they arrive ill check them for sure and get you one out asap lcpleel
  • Options
    Just smoked a liga and honestly I'm happy with the liga. I'll just smoke what I got and leave it at that. Don't want to get my hopes up for a maddy and get disappointed.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    How can you tell the different years apart?
  • Options
    lcpleel:
    Just smoked a liga and honestly I'm happy with the liga. I'll just smoke what I got and leave it at that. Don't want to get my hopes up for a maddy and get disappointed.
    haa, i think i already proved myself , just wait, lmao
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The size is not the same each year, if my memory serves.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Williams:
    i put a date on them when i bought them.

if i remember correctly there is a size difference in at least one of the years.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Alex Williams:
    i put a date on them when i bought them.

if i remember correctly there is a size difference in at least one of the years.
    i just bought some blank mailing labels just for that
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    lcpleel:
    If you want a couple, let me know.......im sitting on 20 sum maduros.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I've only got two '08s left. I sent a bunch out in bombs and smoked like 2-3 over the last couple years. Still one of the spiciest cigars I've ever smoked.

IIRC, the '08 was 6.5x52, the '09 was 6.0x56, and the '10 was 6.25x54. And the others are correct about the bands; the maduro 'V' for every release said 'Maduro Especial' on the bands, whereas the regular 'V' torpedo says 'Liga Especial'.

• Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    That is one beautiful cap on that stik...great pic.
  • Options
    edhedh Posts: 61
    Okay, I'm just gonna say it--this cigar SUCKS!

I bought a box of Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial 2010s from CCOM about a year ago based on past experience with Oliva, and all the great reviews on the Maduro. Over that year, I've gone through over half the box, and tried every tweak I could think of to no avail. I have yet to get a really good one, and my kid has had the same experience with the two sticks he tried.

The draw is super-tight even at 65% Rh, and the wrapper splits if you look at it wrong. Every stick I've had so far has unraveled and split at some point. I gave the Especial another go tonight, and ended up putting it down after the first third. It looked like it was about ready to explode. Needless to say, the taste wasn't that great either.

Maybe I got the box rolled on Friday at 4:45PM, but it's very disappointing. Usually, Oliva is one of my most reliable brands. Not this time!

Note: I'm in no way implying that CCOM had anything to do with the lack of quality.
  • Options
    edh:

I bought a box of Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial 2010s from CCOM about a year ago based on past experience with Oliva, and all the great reviews on the Maduro. Over that year, I've gone through over half the box, and tried every tweak I could think of to no avail. I have yet to get a really good one, and my kid has had the same experience with the two sticks he tried.

The draw is super-tight even at 65% Rh, and the wrapper splits if you look at it wrong. Every stick I've had so far has unraveled and split at some point. I gave the Especial another go tonight, and ended up putting it down after the first third. It looked like it was about ready to explode. Needless to say, the taste wasn't that great either.

Maybe I got the box rolled on Friday at 4:45PM, but it's very disappointing. Usually, Oliva is one of my most reliable brands. Not this time!

Note: I'm in no way implying that CCOM had anything to do with the lack of quality.
    I completely agree on the 2010, compared to the '09 and '08, the '10 does suck.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've been getting a lot of really tightly packed regular Vs. Quality seems to have gone downhill a bit lately with them.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've got a couple resting and I have yet to try one from that year. In the past, each time I have smoked a V maddy they knocked me on my asss. It's like the song from Jaws playing everytime I pick one up, I always choose something else.
  • Options
    Just picked one up hope I have netters experience than you guys!
  • Options
    edhedh Posts: 61
    StrongStyle:
    Just picked one up hope I have netters experience than you guys!
    I sincerely hope your experience is better than mine. If the end you clip is rock hard, then you're probably doomed. When I roll the tip gently between my fingers to loosen it up, the wrapper always splits.

Good luck!
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    edh - I have smoked close to 10 Oliva V and two V maddy. Never had one issue with construction. Either where you get them is terrible at storage or something else environmental is messing with them. Just odd with how consistent these cigars are that you have had issues with every one you smoke.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edh:

how many do you have left? if you want to unload at leadt part of that box ill be glad to take a few off your hands. we can work something out.
  • Options
    has anyone had the 2011's? thats what i picked up.
  • Options
    i open the box of mine but havent yet,lol
  • Options
    working on it, so far im loving it and got these on monday , rest will be better im sure! imageimage
  • Options
    yes, a great smoke imo, almost 2 hours into this , ash doesnt seem to hold on more than what you see, just a couple very minor touch ups, lots of smoke, flavors, but lots better than the 2010 , yea !, very chewy towards the end and spicy imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    jj20030:
    yes, a great smoke imo, almost 2 hours into this , ash doesnt seem to hold on more than what you see, just a couple very minor touch ups, lots of smoke, flavors, but lots better than the 2010 , yea ! imageimageimage
    Jimmy what's your choice between the different years? Is 2011 better than the 2010?
  • Options
    yes! you wanna try one bro? got my head going towards the end and dont think its the bier,lol