Habano Wrapper?

Last post 03-19-2013, 3:42 PM by beatnic. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (36 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous
  • Habano Wrapper?

11-20-2008, 5:15 PM

Can somebody explain a habano wrapper to me and the difference between it an a maduro wrapper?

Thanks!

Matt

• Re: Habano Wrapper?

11-20-2008, 7:24 PM

a "habano" wrapper is just a cuban seed wrapper that is fermented in the traditional cuban style. it can be grown anywhere.

a "maduro" wrapper has a very different fermentation process. the wrapper leaves are baled together very tightly. this tight form of fermentation creates heat in the center. to keep the heat even the bales are often rotated in upon themselves. the heat "cooks" the tobacco and brings out the dark flavor, a sweeter profile and usually makes the flavor smoother and more mild. this too can be grown anywhere but some leaves lend themselves better to the maduro process.
    Connecticut broad-leaf comes to mind.
    Kuzi's Forum links page

11-22-2008, 1:03 AM

Most of the maduro wrappers I've seen are connecticut broad leaf. From the way I understand it the process to make a maduro wrapper puts a lot of strain on the leaf and many varieties just come apart. Maduro wrappers have a reputation for being strong cigars, despite the fact that the flavor profile is usually smooth and mild. A lot of brands actually pander to this stereotype, but you can find mild cigars with maduro wrappers as well.

11-24-2008, 7:32 AM

You guys are smart!

11-24-2008, 9:32 AM

I actually just read an article on the myths of maduro wrappers in cigar magazine. it basically debunks the idea that maduros are strong. And they go into why people think that. Something about a shortage or maduro tobacco and how companies would take shortcuts on how they made the tobacco maduro including painting in some manner.

11-24-2008, 11:34 AM

rwheelwright:
    I actually just read an article on the myths of maduro wrappers in cigar magazine. it basically debunks the idea that maduros are strong.
    or you just read my "blending 101" article in my signature ...
    Kuzi's Forum links page

11-24-2008, 1:11 PM

rwheelwright:
    I actually just read an article on the myths of maduro wrappers in cigar magazine. it basically debunks the idea that maduros are strong. And they go into why people think that. Something about a shortage or maduro tobacco and how companies would take shortcuts on how they made the tobacco maduro including painting in some manner.
    There are a lot of misconceptions about maduros and the fact that the are stronger is a misconception most are in fact a medium bodied cigar. Also it is very common practice to "dye" a maduro leaf to get it darker. The Partagas black is an excellent example.

11-24-2008, 2:07 PM

madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    There are a lot of misconceptions about maduros and the fact that the are stronger is a misconception most are in fact a medium bodied cigar. Also it is very common practice to "dye" a maduro leaf to get it darker. The Partagas black is an excellent example.
    im not sure i would put the partagas black in the same category as some of the boom cigar makers though...
    Kuzi's Forum links page

11-24-2008, 2:59 PM

kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    im not sure i would put the partagas black in the same category as some of the boom cigar makers though...
    Not saying its in the same category as the now defunct boomers BUT it is a well-known and not so highly thought of fact that General dyes their maduros, especially the Black.

11-24-2008, 3:44 PM

Hmph. That pleases me not. I guess I'll have to start paying more attention to which brands come from which companies. I don't smoke a lot of maduros, but still.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

11-24-2008, 3:58 PM

Actually Urbi MOST maduros are dyed from what I've been told. I don't know how you tell but I do know that the General Rep told me all General's are and he claimed that all Fuente's were as well.

11-24-2008, 4:44 PM

So why dye the wrapper? For eye candy?

11-24-2008, 7:09 PM

madurofan:
    Actually Urbi MOST maduros are dyed from what I've been told. I don't know how you tell but I do know that the General Rep told me all General's are and he claimed that all Fuente's were as well.
    Double hmph.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

11-24-2008, 10:20 PM

I did not know that, Maddy. I wanna get in on that hmph.

11-24-2008, 11:38 PM

madurofan:
    From what I've read, a good deal of maduros are cooked, well steamed actually, to create a dark and even coloring...kinda like cutting the corners of the natural maduro process, presumably for quantity over quality. Usually a dyed maduro is detectable pretty easily as it will leave a dye residue on the lips and sometimes fingers.
    retired
Page 1 of 3 (36 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML