Home Ratings & Reviews

Ave Maria

Goat A$$
What a horrible stick that was...
Tasted like dry, dusty baseball infield. Take that off the list..

Comments

• PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Mperconte:
    Goat A$$
    I felt the same way. After rest I'm willing to try it again. Feel the same way about the Virtue
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    i've had 2 and enjoyed both of them... i'll take them off your hands if you'd like...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Wow! I haven't had any Ave Marias yet but I thought the Virtue was a really good conny mild.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    bigharpoon:
    Wow! I haven't had any Ave Marias yet but I thought the Virtue was a really good conny mild.
    This is one of the many reasons these forums are great - I honestly thought it was just me that didnt care for the Ave Maria's. Hot new release, and I really wanted to like it but just couldnt. Have burned three now & just not down with them.

+1 on bigharpoon's comment on the Virtues - one of my favorite connies! Very unique & enjoyable stick IMHO.

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Wow. This shows that there are different palates everywhere. I got spice, cedar, a bit of earth, amaretto, and a subtle floral note.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    PsychoSJG:
    Mperconte:
    Goat A$$
    I felt the same way. After rest I'm willing to try it again. Feel the same way about the Virtue
    Got any Virtues or Ave Maria you want to trade???? I love both of them...especially the Virtue
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    wwhwang:
    Wow. This shows that there are different palates everywhere. I got spice, cedar, a bit of earth, amaretto, and a subtle floral note.

I'm jealous. I enjoyed it when smoking, but it faded in retrospect. @ the virtue thread:)I love the Virtue, at least when they're young and flinty. So far they don't seem to be aging well.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    i'm scared to try one now
  • Sorry about your experience on the Ave Maria. I have it on my "to smoke" list but if I hear more comments about this I might age it a long time before trying it. As for the MoW Virtues, I smoked my first one yesterday and had a bad experience. I'll make a new thread so as not to further hijack this one. :)
  • I've had three from a DD a while back. They are ok to me. They seemed really earthy and nothing else. Got boring. I will smoke my last two, but I won't be buying more.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    AGREED.......
    Mperconte:
    Goat A$$
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Mperconte:
    Goat A$$

I'm not sure if I'd go that far, but I was definitely let down after all they hype. I've smoked 5-6 of them, and the are completely unremarkable.

I think the San Miguel is much, much better.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've found the Crusader size to be very enjoyable. It's complex, and flavorful. I've actually used that to replace the SCCC in my rotation. I've only tried one other size and it wasn't as interesting. I can't speak for the other sizes.
  • ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I am glad to hear more folks don't like Ave Maria. I am a big AJ fan, but AVE tastes like charcoal with hints of burning maple leaves. I've tried four of them and found the flavor profile starts rough and doesn't mature or evolve into anything I like. I also agree that San Miguel is a great cigar.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    This is interesting. I was really looking forward to both Ave Maria and San Miguel, picked up the Expert Pick selection for that reason. My Ave Maria experience, only had one so far, is exactly that of Wwhang. The first San Miguel was sawdust, but the next (two weeks later) was heaven. What a differnce a little time can make.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Had my first one last night and absolutely LOVED it, can't wait to get more.
  • havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I will throw in my two cents with the thumbs down crowd. Disappointing. I only ordered one to try. But the San Miguels were excellent!
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I'm smoking one right now and loving it.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Each Ava Maria I have smoked has been a wonderful experience. There is a dedicated spot in my humidor for them. If anybody has any they don't want I am always up for a trade.
  • MTuccelli:
    Each Ava Maria I have smoked has been a wonderful experience. There is a dedicated spot in my humidor for them. If anybody has any they don't want I am always up for a trade.
    Did you let them rest at all to have such a great experience? After reading most of the other posts I want to do all I can to get a good experience out of the one in my humi.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I would say Smoke it now.. If you like it now you will probably love it later. Then get online and order a box.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    StogiesOnTheGreen:
    MTuccelli:
    Did you let them rest at all to have such a great experience? After reading most of the other posts I want to do all I can to get a good experience out of the one in my humi.
    I smoked my first one right after my order came in. The second sat only a week before I lit up. I ordered the 8 pack Holy Grail and upgraded and received 3 extra sticks. I lit one up when it came and have smoked one a week since then.

I have a few left and I would say they have a month on them. My first was the Barbarossa and now the Holy Grail. I plan on working my way through all the sizes. I would say give them a bit of a rest and then try it again.
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I enjoyed the Ave Maria.It didn't blow me away.But I didn't find it offensive.The San Lotano on the other hand.While the Habano was better than the Maduro in my opinion.I probably won't be purchasing those again.I'll have to agree that the San Miguel was crap.
  • I recently got around to smoking my first Ave Maria. It was a delicious tasting toro and I will gladly take any Ave Maria's off the hands of anyone who doesn't like them.

• RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    I just smoked the first one of these. And I have to say I am enjoying it. I don't think its very complex but it is a decent cigar that I would smoke again.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, seems like most people don't care for them.I can't see putting out the money they want if you got to age it a year just so they don't suck.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Im beginning to think that the vitola is playing a big part in these sticks
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    It's important you take the size in to consideration especially when giving a review - in many cases it's like having two completely different cigars just in different vitolas.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I had this in the corona size. Not bad but nothing to rave about.
  • I would totally agree...not bad,but not the worst I've ever had.