Home General Discussion
Options

Cutter and Lighter

OK so my girlfriend asked me what i want for christmas and i have no clue i kinda want some bad ass accessories but i dont know to much about them. What would be a good cutter and a good lighter and any other accessories you guys think are good to have or if you have any other ideas for christmas thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Xikar Xi 2 cutter for the cutter. Awesome cutter once you get used to how it cuts. Lighters are going to be a personal preferance, some guys will say Ronco lighters rock, some will say their Bugatti lighters are the best thing since sliced bread, others love their regular old Bics. Try a few out and you'll find the one that works for you.

Mine is the Rocky Patel lighter, it isn't going win a beauty contest but the damn thing lights every time I need it to.
  • Options
    ok sweet is the xi2 better then xi3? i have tried them before they cut kinda werid tho. Ok sweet any other cool accessories you can think of?
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Don't think any of the Xikar xi series is better than another. Just some are more expensive to make, as the xi2 is fiberglass frame and the xi and xi3 are metal.

For the cutter, I suggest Xikar xi2 or any of the Palio cutters. For lighters...depends on if you want a torch or soft flame. For torch, my Rocky Patel Executive triple torch is great. For soft flame, I suggest the Xikar EX. Just remember to use triple filtered butane or better. I use the Vector quintuple filtered butane. It's basically impurity-free, so less chance of the lighter clogging.
  • Options
    thanks for the suggestions ill let her know xi2, and for lighters you know how they have some that have different cigar brands on them do you know if they have any with 5 vega on them?
  • Options
    Christian_Sapp:
    thanks for the suggestions ill let her know xi2, and for lighters you know how they have some that have different cigar brands on them do you know if they have any with 5 vega on them?
    I don't remember seeing any 5 Vegas lighters. But 5 Vegas is just a cigar brand. For performance, I suggest going Xikar, Bugatti, Lotus, or Rocky Patel (strangely enough, I like his lighters better than his cigars).
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    Christian_Sapp:
    I don't remember seeing any 5 Vegas lighters. But 5 Vegas is just a cigar brand. For performance, I suggest going Xikar, Bugatti, Lotus, or Rocky Patel (strangely enough, I like his lighters better than his cigars).

ok thanks, if you could pick one of those lighters out of all the ones you said which one would it be? is the fiber glass body better then the metal body for cutters?
  • Options
    Christian_Sapp:
    wwhwang:
    Christian_Sapp:
    ok thanks, if you could pick one of those lighters out of all the ones you said which one would it be? is the fiber glass body better then the metal body for cutters?
    There's no difference in the Xi series of cutters when it comes to the blades. The only difference is the price and the material of the outer handles.
  • Options
    Christian_Sapp:
    It doesn't really matter. It's just personal preference when it comes down to the materials for the body frame. The only things that really matter are the blades and the warranty, which is the same for any of the Xikar xi series. Sharp blades and a lifetime warranty. If the blades get dull, broken, or damaged, you can always just turn it in for a re-sharpening, repair, or replacement.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I kinda got cute and got the Man O War cutter and Lighter. Figured they would look cool sitting on my humi. Come to find out, they are my fave lighter and cutter I now own. The lighter is a lotus and the cutter is a colibri (sp?). Both have worked flawless and they were both dirt cheap from the good people at CCOM. Just call in and they will work a heck of a deal out with you.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Don't buy anything Colibri... I have had the MOW cutter for about 6 months now, and it is officially the worst cutting tool ever made. It just kind of mashes and tears. I have read this complaint from a lot of people. Get a Palio or a Xikar, as both have lifetime, no questions asked warranties.

As for a lighter, a XiKar is as good as it gets, especially given the potential for necessary repairs on a torch.
  • Options
    cant give any good advice on a cutter yet because i have yet to get one besides the cheaper ones they got at the local smoke shop...but i did break down bout a month ago and got a xikar ex... at first i wasn't sold on the soft flame but because it is half soft flame and half torch it has really surprised me, really a great product....and on top you cant beat the lifetime warranty you get...so with that being said personally i think xikar would be a great choice.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I am a huge Palio cutter fan, but Xikar is good too. I would stick to those couple brands for cutters, not because there are no other good cutters out there, but because I know those two will be good and they have the best warranties, hands down.

For lighters, I always recommend the Ronson Jetlite. Truly a great lighter for dirt cheap. After that, I recommend Xikar. They still have the problems that plague jet lighters from time to time, but their warranty is the best. If it ever fails to work to your satisfaction, return it to them or a dealer and they will swap it out, no questions asked.

If you are looking at important accessories, might also think about a nice cigar caddy or herf-a-dor. My advice with these is go larger than you think you might need. I have a 2, 5 and 15 stick holders and sometimes I load them all up at the same time if I am going somewhere for a while or to a party, tailgate, etc where I might be giving out a decent number of cigars. Always better to have a variety to choose from and bring some back home than not really feeling like anything in the caddy.
  • Options
    thanks guys, yeah i have a herf-a-dor its a 5 but it works pretty good
  • Options
    cacmancacman Posts: 22

I would agree with One2 above, the Palio cutter is outstanding. The quality of the blade steel and precision of the cut is outstanding. I did a lot of research before my decision and read a lot about the Xicar cutters having problems with a spring. They replace it but you have to send it back. And I found a deal on the Palio that also included included a chrome cigar stand. Handy when only a shallow cigarette ashtray is offered.

As far as lighters, I've had no luck with any of the ”gentleman’s” lighters. And I have a few. Had a Lotus 11 Pipe Lighter I dropped at the local cigar bar. It broke into a bunch of pieces but I was able to piece it back together to the point it still worked. Returned it to Lotus for repair only to be told the model was discontinued and unrepairable. A comparable replacement was offered but it was defective also. Returned it and had it replaced by a Lotus 9 with an aluminum Lotus ashtray for my inconvenience. The ashtray works great but after trying different fluids (Lotus, Xicar, Ronson) the lighter won't ignite even when trying to catch flame off a Bic. Purge all you want! A real shame as it is a beautiful lighter with a $90 MSRP price tag. Glad I didn't pay that for it, but their customer service was outstanding.

Personally I have given up on carrying a “gentleman’s” lighter, and will continue to use a wooden match, a Bic, or a cedar splint if available.

IMHO a good cedar-lined cigar case is a must. I have 2. A 3-stick from Cohiba, and a 4-finger from Perdomo. When I go out I usually slip a small Broveda humidification bag in the case too as a safeguard. I keep a couple in my humi I reuse just as a safety-precaution. Don't want anything drying-out. When traveling I use a simple tupidor with some propylene glycol or some Broveda’s for humidification control.

Hope this helps (_(cac)___}}}~
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Garen B:
    Christian_Sapp:
    wwhwang:
    Christian_Sapp:
    There's no difference in the Xi series of cutters when it comes to the blades. The only difference is the price and the material of the outer handles.
    I will have to agree and disagree at the same time about the Xi series. While they are made the same and have different material they do not both hold up the same. Tat has one that is made out of fiberglass and I have one that is made with the metal. We got them around the same time frame. His is beat up to all hell and is talking about how he needs to send it in. Mine works fine and looks as good as the day I bought it. I'm tough on my things and my cutter has been dropped & put through as much if not more then Tat's. I would say that the metal is a better choice if you are hard on your equipment.

As for lighters I bought a nice triple flame that has a punch on the bottom and a window to see the fuel. It's also ergonomic and fits my hand nicely. No name brand on it but it works everytime when there is fuel in it...lol just ask the guys from Ohio! Bought it for $15 and have seen them around at many B&M's. I also have a Bugatti and a nice Ronson that I got from a great BORK out in Cali. Love love love that thing.

Cigar Caddys are nice, Ashtrays are cool too. Don't forget your cigar clip if you are a golfer...they are also useful if you are somewhere there isn't an ashtray, like camping, and need to put it on your chair or set it down. Tons of stuff out there that I would love to have but just don't have the money.
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    I will have to agree and disagree at the same time about the Xi series. While they are made the same and have different material they do not both hold up the same. Tat has one that is made out of fiberglass and I have one that is made with the metal. We got them around the same time frame. His is beat up to all hell and is talking about how he needs to send it in. Mine works fine and looks as good as the day I bought it. I'm tough on my things and my cutter has been dropped & put through as much if not more then Tat's. I would say that the metal is a better choice if you are hard on your equipment.

I agree with you on the handle materials, I don't carry mine around unless I know I'm smoking and it's always in the little leather pouch that came with it. The cutter sees use but the only lighter duty it could get is if it sat on a table in a cigar lounge.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Garen B:
    Sandman1am:

I agree with you on the handle materials, I don't carry mine around unless I know I'm smoking and it's always in the little leather pouch that came with it. The cutter sees use but the only lighter duty it could get is if it sat on a table in a cigar lounge.
    Come to think of it Tat doesn't have a leather pouch for his, maybe that could contribute to why it's in such bad condition.