Home Cigar 101

got a humidor as a gift...

I've always enjoyed the occasional cigar, but I've always went out to the store and picked one up if I wanted a smoke.  I recently got a nice little humidor as a gift.  I picked up a Humi-Care digital meter.  From reading around, I lightly wiped down my humidor with a sponge and distilled water, filled the humidifier and placed a small dish of DW in the humidor(I repeated this the day after).  After 2 days, I was at 80%.  Today being the 3rd day, I'm down to 75% and it appears the dish with the distilled water is not evaporating, it's still at the same mark from the day before.  If the water is not evaporating in the dish, does that mean I can take it out and it's ready for cigars?  I'm not real sure what I should be looking for next.  It's a smaller 25-50 humi.  I have 10 sticks at home currently in a zip lock bag.  Thanks to all!

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    First off, welcome! Having a humidor is really the first step toward your cigar collecting addiction! :) It will open up a whole new world to you if you enjoy the collecting, resting, and aging part of cigars.

Seasoning a humidor is kinda subjective. It is summer, so if you are in a humid climate it may not take 4-5 days like it might in the winter to season.

One thing I think everyone will agree on is that the humidifiers that come with humidors suck donkey balls. Get either one of these gel jars or a couple of couple drymistat tubes. You will thank me, I promise.

If you find yourself with the funds, someday very soon you may be looking for a larger humidor. Feel free to ask questions later! ;)
  • so with these gel jars, you just squirt some distilled water in them and that's it?  If so, I'll thank you now!

Since i'm in the middle of seasoning (3rd day), I'm thinking that if its staying steady at 75% and the water isn't evaporating anymore, it's OK to remove the dish, refill the humidifier I have and put the cigars in there which should lower it a bit or do I want to wait until the % is lower with the water dish in.

When I received the humidor, I had no idea how much more there was to it, but it's been fun learning thus far and I thank you for all the future advice!

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I'd strongly suggest beads. They are the most foolproof method of maintaining humidity. Welcome.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    One2gofst:
    I'd strongly suggest beads. They are the most foolproof method of maintaining humidity. Welcome.
    Definitely! But for a 25 count humidor, it's not really necessary. When you pack that little humidor full, let us know and we'll help you pick out a bigger one and some beads to keep the new humidor humidified properly.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and start looking for a larger humidor, you're going to need it!
  • thanks for all the help, I'm completely new to all this and appreciate all the help.  Last night when I went home it was still steady at 75% and no water appears to be evaporating.  I took out the dish of DW and put in the cigars.  Checked this morning and it was at 72%.  I'm guessing this is good sign? 

Being that it's a smaller humi, I ordered 1 of those drymistat crystal tubes!

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    65-70% is acceptable, higher humidities can cause burn issues with some sticks. I think you are good to go.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Give it a couple days and see if the RH drops a little. I like my RH around 65% but as you will learn most things cigars are subjective. Keep a close eye on the rh if you have a foam humidifier like comes with most humi they can be very inconsistent and your rh can flucuate rapidly. I will say my best advice would be get a better humidifaction system Gel, Beads, Dry mist tubes. 72% is not something to lose sleep over but you want to get it down to at least 70%. Also keep an eye on the temp. above 75 degrees comes the possibility of hatching the dreaded tabbacco beetle.
  • thanks again everyone.  After the weekend, I'm still getting 72 temp with 72% Rh.  I'm using the foam humidifier that came with it.  I did keep the humi open for a little yesterday and put a little ice pack in it which brought it down to 65%, but it goes right back up to 72.  The dry mist tubes should be here today or tomorow so I'm looking forward to getting rid of the foam humidifier and using the tube. 
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Did you salt test your hygrometer?
  • I did the salt test.  It was a humi-care meter and it came in at 74%, I made the adjustment.  Dry mist tubes come today, I'll see if that will bring it down a little. 
  • I'm relatively new to the humidor as well. I had a 300 count that I lost during Katrina and have just recieved my new humidor. Any advice as to how to best season this new one? The one I lost belonged to my grandfather and was about as perfect as anyone could want. What is this salt test? Thanks in advance.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    salt test is a test for your hygrometer. it is how you would calibrate it.. so your reading proper humidity levels in your humidor. as for seasoning, there are mixed views on how to season properly. if you do a search in the threads , and you do some reading, you will be able to choose how you want to season your new humi. good luck... and welcome aboard.