Home Non Cigar Related

Favorite baseball players.

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
So what's everyone's favorite baseball players? Living or dead? Playing or not?

My two favorites are Cal Ripken Jr and Edgar Martinez.
-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Growing up, mine was Kirby Puckett. Also liked Andre Dawson and Mark Grace.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Obvious answer: Miggy. Less-obvious/non-Tiger: Ken Griffey Jr -- dude played through the Steroid Era and excelled without them against and compared to the juicers.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger Maris. That should date me!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Nolan Ryan, Michael Young, Will Clark, Hank Blaylock, Adrian Beltre, Ian Kinsler, Juan Gonzalez, Pudge Rodriguez, Derrick Holland, Randy Johnson
    That last guy didnt play for the Rangers
    Honorable mention...
    The Babe, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Pedro Martinez, Big Poppi
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    So what's everyone's favorite baseball players? Living or dead? Playing or not?

My two favorites are Cal Ripken Jr and Edgar Martinez.

And +1 for Cal hard to not like the Iron Man
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nolan Ryan
    Vladimir Guerrero
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Mike Trout
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Graig Nettles
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose, Ken Griffey Jr,Johnny Bench.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Willie McGee was my favorite growing up. Then in the 2000s i loved Jim Edmonds. Now probably Yadi or Adam Wainwright.

my oldest son LOVES Ken Griffey JR. Went to the game where he hit his 500th and has loved him ever since. Yes Jerm my son loves a red.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Nolan Ryan
    Vladimir Guerrero
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Mike Trout
    Vlad is a good one.
    I'd have to go with Brooks Robinson or Ozzie Smith. I collected Albert Belle baseball cards when I was younger solely because he was an a$$hole and chased down the kids who shot up his house with paintballs.
    Calling Griffey Jr. a red is like calling Farve a Jet.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan "The Man" Musial & Chris Carpenter

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Kirby Puckett. I loved that guy. His heart was as big as his game. Died way too soon.

I'm sure if I don't mention my great uncle Dent, a.k.a. (Cy Young) then I'm probably a piece of crap lol He was pretty good from what I'm told. I think they even named an award after him.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Willie McGee was my favorite growing up. Then in the 2000s i loved Jim Edmonds. Now probably Yadi or Adam Wainwright.

my oldest son LOVES Ken Griffey JR. Went to the game where he hit his 500th and has loved him ever since. Yes Jerm my son loves a red.
    Just made my day Brian... Daniel, the hell u say, Red 4 Life.
    youngryan216:
    Kirby Puckett. I loved that guy. His heart was as big as his game. Died way too soon.

I'm sure if I don't mention my great uncle Dent, a.k.a. (Cy Young) then I'm probably a piece of crap lol He was pretty good from what I'm told. I think they even named an award after him.
    Another Kirby fan! And Cy Young, really? That's cool.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To hell with junior (jk), Ken Griffey SENIOR was the man. Anyone who can play competitively long enough to start in the same outfield with his son has to be the man; and it's not like son was just a rookie at the time either.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Del Gainer and Todd Helton.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Frank Howard. Went to a few Washington Senator home openers when I was a kid. Always a fond memory.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    youngryan216:

Another Kirby fan! And Cy Young, really? That's cool.
    Charlie, I hadn't even seen your post when I threw down the Kirby love! I still have a baseball card my dad gave me with Kirby Puckett and Don Mattingly on it in my wallet. Goes everywhere I go. Great dude and great ballplayer.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    Graig Nettles
    Use to get beers with him all the time when I lived in San Diego. Super nice guy and one of my favorites growing up. I also use to love Mike Schmidt, Matt Williams, Brooks Robinson, Ozzie Smith, Will Clark, Steve Carlton, Goose Gossage, ahh those were the days.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roberto Clemente was what made me a Pirates fan along with Statgell, Sanguiilen, Parker... Always liked Joe Morgan, Schmidt, Ozzie Smith, Randy Johnson and Pedro Guerrero and Fernando
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carlton Fisk, Carl Yaztremski, Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr (notice a pattern?), Edgar Martinez, and I'm gonna add Pete Rose, because even though he made mistakes, he was a phenomenal baseball player.
    And my youngest son is named after 2 of the greatest pitchers in baseball history. Christy Mathewson and Nolan Ryan.
    My son's name is Christopher Ryan.

Probably a ton I'm forgetting.
    youngryan216:

Kirby is the pinnacle of what every sport's star should aspire to be.
    It is rare that a superstar has that kind of heart, especially for his fans.

I would have loved to pitch against Cy Young. I'd get my butt kicked, but it would be worth it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really can't believe that no one has mentioned Tony Gwynn. The guy not only played for the pitiful Padres his whole career, he gave them a hometown discount to stay, if that isn't a class act, I don't know what is.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    I really can't believe that no one has mentioned Tony Gwynn. The guy not only played for the pitiful Padres his whole career, he gave them a hometown discount to stay, if that isn't a class act, I don't know what is.
    You're right probably the classiest guy to ever lace up spikes. Miss that guy.
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Never thought I'd say this but currently it's A-Rod.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
    variant2:
    Never thought I'd say this but currently it's A-Rod.

Him and Jared Weaver need to hang out.
    bandyt09:
    Liked Tony Gwynn too. Just didn't make my list because I didn't get to see him play much. Best pure hitter in my lifetime.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Puig
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    yep that's a good one.. Gone too soon
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Roberto Clemente was what made me a Pirates fan along with Statgell, Sanguiilen, Parker... Always liked Joe Morgan, Schmidt, Ozzie Smith, Randy Johnson and Pedro Guerrero and Fernando
    Roberto Clemente was pure class on and off the field. Favorite current player would have to be Josh Harrison... Jay-Hay all day!!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon