Home Non Cigar Related

Eaglet Weekend

2»

Comments

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    It's really interesting when you compare this eaglecam to the more well known cam in Minnesota:

http://www.webcams.dnr.state.mn.us/eagle/

First of all, our family in PA looks like they're living the life of Riley. Beautiful nest, no snow, looks like it's very warm. Both eagles look well groomed, calm, and not overly tired. You don't seem them doing all that much other than sitting on the nest. For example, having seen much feeding of the babes going on.

Then look at the Minnesota cam. The nest looks like it's about to fall apart. It's been covered with snow a lot of the time and the wind seems to be constantly blowing. I've only seen one eagle there, which I assume is the mom, and she's constantly moving around. Every time I check in she's feeding the eaglets and looking tired and scraggly as hell. But on that cam the view of the kids is priceless.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a partial family photo - only one parent:

photo 961A8873-CD6A-4810-A6B5-6599F6182C45.png

The eaglet on the right appears to be the dominant sibling (domsib) and the one on the left is the submissive one (subsib). Domsib, the cheeky little bastidge, appears to be trying to kill Subsib every chance he gets. Aggressively pecking at poor Subsib even while the parent is trying to feed them both. I hope Subsib survives. Interesting..... ??
    Well, when I looked a few minutes ago the nest looked fairly well-stocked with food, a parent was feeding the eaglets, and all was right with the world. But does anyone have any idea what the large, black area to the left side of the nest is - or when it appeared?? It wasn't there the last time I checked. I hope it isn't someone's pet dog..... ??
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think it is a dog. You could make out a couple paws yesterday. Dunno whether it's kill or carrion. One thing for sure, these two parents are good providers.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    Yes, I think it is a dog. You could make out a couple paws yesterday. Dunno whether it's kill or carrion. One thing for sure, these two parents are good providers.

When I lived in Kremmling, CO on a construction job, you dared not let your cat or small/medium dog outdoors unless you wanted to feed the eagles.... They were goldens in that area, though.... ??
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    My, how they've grown! I haven't checked on them in over a week; it's astounding.

I won't post a pic, but y'all should check it out. If I make it over to Codorus at the end of this week as planned, I'll try to snap a pic from as close as I can get.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Phone cam on max zoom through one side of my binoculars.
    nest photo IMG_20150411_160916254_HDR_zps97qcgg9l.jpg
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel:
    Phone cam on max zoom through one side of my binoculars.
    nest photo IMG_20150411_160916254_HDR_zps97qcgg9l.jpg

Sure looks like that might be it, doesn't it? Did you have to spend a lot of time looking for it? Ya done good, lad..... ??
    Nope, I just followed the signs they had out today which pointed to the eagle viewing area. A lot of boats were out in Lake Marburg getting closer views. I'm sure someone who knows the area a little better could get much closer. I did see a bit of adult movement through the binoculars and a glimpse of one in flight as I drove in.

Martel:
    Nope, I just followed the signs they had out today which pointed to the eagle viewing area. A lot of boats were out in Lake Marburg getting closer views. I'm sure someone who knows the area a little better could get much closer. I did see a bit of adult movement through the binoculars and a glimpse of one in flight as I drove in.

Oh, they've got signs out? I would've thought they'd prefer that folks not know the location so as to keep the idiots from disturbing the nesting pair. There's always a few in the crowd.

This viewing area is well removed from the nest.
    nest up there photo IMG_20150411_162010199_HDR_zpsrjsp8hbz.jpg

Martel:
    nest up there photo IMG_20150411_162010199_HDR_zpsrjsp8hbz.jpg

Ah, so. Yes it is. Is this as close as folks can get? If so, I think I understand about the signs, now. The body of water - is that the lake that shows up on the map that appears next to the website window? (Not sure I described that very well)... It's kinda neat that you live close enough to see it first-hand.

jlmarta:
    Martel:

Ah, so. Yes it is. Is this as close as folks can get? If so, I think I understand about the signs, now. The body of water - is that the lake that shows up on the map that appears next to the website window? (Not sure I described that very well)... It's kinda neat that you live close enough to see it first-hand.

I spoke with some friends who know the area today and you can indeed get much closer if you know your back roads; however, according to them to gain a safe (off the road) clear view without encroaching on the restricted zone around the nest you'd have to cross private property.

Yes, the lake is called Lake Marburg, I believe. It's the body of water around which Codorus State Park is found. The Lake is one of the largest public-private partnerships in the country from my understanding. It's a mostly artificial lake built by and for a paper mill as I was told. The mill retains the rights to as much water as they need but the state supervises the land area as a State Park. It's beautiful. I've already spent chunks of two days in the park and I've only been here a little over a week! A friend says the lake is even good for windsurfing. There sure was a lot of wind making nest viewing a challenge, yesterday! My binoculars would sway; the nest would sway; both would sway in the wind. It kind of made me seasick!

Many people were out on boats observing the nest, too. To get an idea of location, the park map is here:
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_004803.pdf

The viewing area from which I took the picture is near the marina, where the blue binocular "wildlife viewing" logo is located. On Long Island, just off shore, there is also an Osprey nest that is viewable.

Martel:
    jlmarta:
    Martel:

I spoke with some friends who know the area today and you can indeed get much closer if you know your back roads; however, according to them to gain a safe (off the road) clear view without encroaching on the restricted zone around the nest you'd have to cross private property.

Yes, the lake is called Lake Marburg, I believe. It's the body of water around which Codorus State Park is found. The Lake is one of the largest public-private partnerships in the country from my understanding. It's a mostly artificial lake built by and for a paper mill as I was told. The mill retains the rights to as much water as they need but the state supervises the land area as a State Park. It's beautiful. I've already spent chunks of two days in the park and I've only been here a little over a week! A friend says the lake is even good for windsurfing. There sure was a lot of wind making nest viewing a challenge, yesterday! My binoculars would sway; the nest would sway; both would sway in the wind. It kind of made me seasick!

Many people were out on boats observing the nest, too. To get an idea of location, the park map is here:
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_004803.pdf

The viewing area from which I took the picture is near the marina, where the blue binocular "wildlife viewing" logo is located. On Long Island, just off shore, there is also an Osprey nest that is viewable.

Thanks for the info, Eric. It sure is in a pretty area. I grew up in Detroit and I've been through some parts of Pennsylvania but I don't recall seeing an area as attractive as that in parts where I've been.

I just learned of another eagle cam here in California. It's at Turtle Bay, near Redding, CA and it has two eaglets as well. Here's the link:

Click here

jlmarta:
    I just learned of another eagle cam here in California. It's at Turtle Bay, near Redding, CA and it has two eaglets as well. Here's the link:

Click here

I won't be going to that one in person...

Martel:
    jlmarta:

Click here

I won't be going to that one in person...

Well, shoot. How come? We could get together for a Herf..... ??
    perch photo IMG_20150425_144403706_zpsdrqvhykj.jpg

Last weekend the park friends group set out some spotting scopes on the eagles. I tried my best with my cell phone through a scope. Slightly better than through the binocs. With the eye, you could clearly see one of the adults in the tree off to the right of the nest.

Sadly, this may be the only way to see the eaglets, now, since one had a direct hit on the camera during nature's call early this morning. It is raining here, right now, so maybe it will get cleared off, but without wind, I don't know if it'll make it to the lens.

Martel:
    perch photo IMG_20150425_144403706_zpsdrqvhykj.jpg

Last weekend the park friends group set out some spotting scopes on the eagles. I tried my best with my cell phone through a scope. Slightly better than through the binocs. With the eye, you could clearly see one of the adults in the tree off to the right of the nest.

Sadly, this may be the only way to see the eaglets, now, since one had a direct hit on the camera during nature's call early this morning. It is raining here, right now, so maybe it will get cleared off, but without wind, I don't know if it'll make it to the lens.

HAA HAA!! I know what you mean. I happened to be watching one day when one of them assumed the kneeling prayer position similar to what Muslim men use and - SPLORK!! - he let fly! It occurred to me that it's an instinctive action intended to keep the nest clean. It sailed clear out over the edge .... ??

Your photo turned out quite well, BTW....

Edit: I just took a look and the lens is definitely compromised. It's twilight there at the moment and it's like looking through a lens smeared with Vaseline. You can make out shapes but nothing is very clear... C'mon, rain.....
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, back on the Hanover eaglet webcam, one of the eaglets, possibly protesting the intrusion of the gummint (and thousands of viewers) on its right to privacy, apparently relieved itself on the webcam lens, so now the bucolic family scene is now mostly shrouded in..er...obscurity.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump.
    They're growing up fast.  I haven't been to the park in about four weeks, but I should go over and see what the viewing's like.  Camera view is better and seems to be best in the mid-morning hours.  Storms came through yesterday and it's still gray and rainy today so I'll be waiting for better visibility.

Those eaglets are determined to have their privacy.  One of them appears to have branched onto the camera.  No more eagle voyeurism by the masses except for a few abstract shots of feathers and the edge of the nest.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was beaking at it for awhile. You could look down his throat and scope out his tongue. Eventually, he wrenched it askew.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)