Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Fairy Is Retiring

The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
Submitted my retirement papers today, looking at June 1st. Going to be a big adjustment, kinda scary but looking forward to it. Been at my job for 39 years so plan on taking the summer to get used to it and see what happens. One good thing, more time for cigars, lol. Anyone been through this, how did you slide into it?

On a side note. I will be going to a fixed income for a while, can’t draw from IRA for a year and a half, so certain activities will be ended. Not bombing though, my cigar budget is secure. But if any of you were sprinkled with some pixie dust, that would be me. Was working a ton of overtime and wanted to have some fun so I started hitting as The Cigar Fairy. Wanted to bring a smile, make people wonder and most importantly, no retaliation. There were a few members that helped me and they shall remain nameless, but want to thank them for their support. This is a great forum, thanks for having me, but then every village needs an idiot, lol.

Just wanted to share that with you all.

Comments

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on retiring. I'm sure June 1st can't come fast enough.
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!! I did 25 years four months and one day before I retired. If I would have stayed longer I'd gone insane. Going to start up contract work pretty soon it looks like...
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laughed my a$$ of when I read the thread title, good for you sir have a happy retirement.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    congrats! Time to start enjoying what's left of life.... LOL. Like everything else, it's what you make of it.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....slide.....?.......jump in with both feet....go fishing and sleep on the bank....there will be no sliding....
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall very well when I retired. For about the first year or so my reaction was "how in hell did I hold down a full time job and still do all the things I did"?? I was busier than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs after I retired. Seems like there was always a jillion things to do or that had to be done. After the first year or so, though, you'll develop a routine to cope with "The Liesure Life"...... ??

Congrats! And enjoy!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the retiring.
    It gives me hope that I'll be able to do the same in 8 years.

Seems that something special is called for.
    June 1st you say?
    Gives me ample time. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the retirement. Enjoy sir!!!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Luck on your new adventures! I'm happy for you and don't worry cause there's plenty of pixie dust to go around!!
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Great job i'm sure you find lots of things to do!
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    Thanks all, appreciate the good wishes. As far as things to do well, my honey-do list is now quite long. My wife is the one that really talked me into this. She's still stuck there for a couple more years, have some time to work on the list, lol. Already been approached by HR to come back as a consultant/trainer. Told them I'd consider it, later. Big adjustment though but it's been a fun ride.

Went to work in a plastic factory in '76, a high school drop out. Always went my own way, lol. Thought I'd work there a few years and move to CA, but was fascinated by all the machines, had to know how they worked. Didn't have the internet then so picked peoples brains, read any manuals I could find and just figured it out and started putting it to practice. Had to keep up with changing times so over the years got my GED, college degree in computers, all machines and automation is run by computers now. Manufacturing has changed a lot, fun to be a part of that but the people are not as valued as they once were. Now the robots are replacing people, I call it the rise of the cyborgs. Looking back, I'll be 58 next month and retiring, not bad for a high school drop out, lol.
    Life is fun, never know what will happen, can't wait for this next chapter. Kinda scary though.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think you wil be a busy, busy man. Great that you are retiring. Every body needs something to sink their teeth into, Whats next?
  • Options
    timtomtimtom Posts: 40
    matkn293:

+1
    Enjoy what you've earned.
    :-)
    Rodney.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    timtom:
    matkn293:

+1
    Enjoy what you've earned.
    :-)
    Rodney.
    You've earned another ban. Enjoy it!
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!!

I envy the day I can retire, you are very blessed and fortunate. ~br>
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Gratz on the retirement!!!!
  • Options
    Eulogy:
    Congrats on retiring. I'm sure June 1st can't come fast enough.

So right, I feel like a kid waiting for summer vacation, lol.
  • Options
    Stubble:
    Congrats!! I did 25 years four months and one day before I retired. If I would have stayed longer I'd gone insane. Going to start up contract work pretty soon it looks like...

Sanity is a big part of it, you know when it's time to go.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    ....slide.....?.......jump in with both feet....go fishing and sleep on the bank....there will be no sliding....
    jlmarta:
    I recall very well when I retired. For about the first year or so my reaction was "how in hell did I hold down a full time job and still do all the things I did"?? I was busier than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs after I retired. Seems like there was always a jillion things to do or that had to be done. After the first year or so, though, you'll develop a routine to cope with "The Liesure Life"...... ??

Congrats! And enjoy!
    First Warrior:
    i think you wil be a busy, busy man. Great that you are retiring. Every body needs something to sink their teeth into, Whats next?

Joined a gun/fish and game club yesterday. Over 300 acres of fishing, brook and pond, 2 pistol ranges, rifle range, skeet, trap, wife wants to try archery, mountain bike trails all kinds of crap. Rainy days I can get back to my railroad empire, lol. Oh and the honey-do list, notice that's last.