Home General Discussion
Options

How do you light your cigar when you travel

mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
Just wonder that if you guys are on few-day business trip that requires plane travel, how you light your cigar after landed given lighters are not allowed on plane; and I am sure that you don't want to keep buying lighters, right? Are matches allowed when carry-on?

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought this was going to be a driving question. Don't do heavier then air travel.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmkuchi:
    Just wonder that if you guys are on few-day business trip that requires plane travel, how you light your cigar after landed given lighters are not allowed on plane; and I am sure that you don't want to keep buying lighters, right? Are matches allowed when carry-on?
    I am actually going to have the same issue next year. I am going on a cruise for my Brother in laws wedding and need to figure out what I can bring with me.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Ever see the scene in Pulp Fiction with Christopher Walken? It's like that, only it's not at all like that.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer: Use Matches

FYI, if you search the web for the keywords "TSA Lighters and Matches" the top result should get you the link below; TSA regulations are ever-changing so be sure to check the list before you go.

As of now according to the TSA Prohibited Items list: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items#9

Common Lighters
    Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage.
    Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case.
    (Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Colibri-Tranzpack-Approved-Airline-Lighter/dp/B000J0KUB0)

Torch Lighters
    Torch lighters continue to be banned.

Matches
    One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items.
    Matches are prohibited in checked baggage.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a heavy smoker for many years and still carry a green bic on me I have never had a problem brining this on a plane.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Ever see the scene in Pulp Fiction with Christopher Walken? It's like that, only it's not at all like that.
    It was a Rolex right?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    A magnifying glass and the sun. 90% of the time...it works every time.
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Just buy a bic at the airport to where ever you land. Only cost $1. Or go to a local gas station once landed and buy one of those disposable torch lighters. Cost roughly $5
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Bic soft flame lighters are allowed. Jet flames are not. Matches are. Read the regulations. I travel all the time.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I'm not quoting rules, but I know I've looked before and I'm almost certain that all lighters are absolutely forbidden (unless you use a sealed TSA-approved container, and only then in checked baggage). I've had BIC lighters seized at the airport at least twice. As a result, I just make a habit of carrying along a decent box of cigar matches (which are not strike-anywhere), and if necessary pick up a BIC wherever I go.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the agent at security. I have had to throw away soft flame lighters, and other times walked right through. I usually throw a box of cigar matches in my herfador. I wouldn't bring any lighter you care about
  • Options
    Yes I agree. Always put the lighter in a checked bag. Not in carry on.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    C101
  • Options
    Rain:
    C101
    gfys
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    Rain:
    C101
    gfys
    You need more pigs? :)
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As soon as you land go to gift shop purchase BIC.
  • Options
    phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    Never had a problem. I am pre-screened but that shouldn't matter should it?