Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Here´s a little story for ya..

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
Today was a beautiful day here, sunny blue skies and temperatures in the mid-upper 60´s. Work for my wife and I finished fairly early, so we thought to saunter up to our favorite tapas bar and have a nice lunch. It´d been a while since my last cigar, so on my way out the door I snatched up a little RyJ #2 tubo and my tools to slip into my pocket. A handful of delectable dishes later - and over a final cafe con leche - I gladly fired up my cigar as we carried along our conversation.

The wind began picking up a few minutes later, however, and as our table was in the shade we elected not to tarry much longer. As we settled the bill and gave our normal dos besos to the owners - longtime friends of ours - we decided to take a walk along the river on down to the cinema to check the showtimes for the evening. It was effortlessly peaceful there along the river walkway, quiet in spite of the busy roadway nearby, and all seemed blissfully right in the world as I puffed happily away on my cigar.

Despite living here for over two years, this was my first walk along this particular stretch of the river and, upon spying a convenient stoop upon which to rest near the water's edge, I angled myself so as to get a better look. Unfortunately, this is the moment at which my normally-sure footing betrayed me - my toe caught a bit of the river slime on the edge and, unable to regain my balance, my feet slipped right out from under me as I tumbled down the slope into the river. The water wasn't cold, but I was alarmed at my predicament - clinging to the edge, I was unable to exit the water with such slime along the slope, and I was at a loss as to what to do. My wife, having obviously noticed the fall and trying to contain her laughter, said to me:

"Sweetheart, why don't you start with letting go of your cigar?"

¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Amazing. I can just picture you holding it out of the water. Lmfao!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    My mind thinks of two things...don't drop your beer and now don't drop your stick lol, I'd call that a good save!
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Priorities. Haha. I love it.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would make a great testimonial or even an ad for whichever cigar you were smoking.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    All is right with the world then disaster strikes, lol. No one was hurt and and you must have had a few laughs about it. A small "fight or flight" moment maybe, and your base instinct's told you to save the cigar.
  • Options
    Haha well the epilogue is my phone and lighter are chilling in a bowl of rice (suck), and I've got a bruised hip and scraped arm. Had to walk home through the center in drenched clothing (not so good on the 60 degree weather anymore), but hey, we still went by the cinema to check the showtimes! lol My wife was amazed that I laughed it off, but all in all it wasn't THAT big of a deal and I've never been shy at laughing at myself

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    This made me laugh,, sorry.. ;o)
    Glad ya didn't get hurt!
  • Options
    The Kid:
    This made me laugh,, sorry.. ;o)
    Glad ya didn't get hurt!
    That was the point! Glad you enjoyed :-)

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Video, or it didn't happen!

JK, I laughed too; good story.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    How is the lighter and phone? The hip will heal in time. Glad to hear you laughed it off.
  • Options
    Dark Roast:
    How is the lighter and phone? The hip will heal in time. Glad to hear you laughed it off.
    Well, the lighter is solid and fires up no problems, but my phone is (by all indications) completely fried. Really sucks as my phone is a serious multi-tool for me and had hundreds of photos from around the world on it. Fortunately my wife's uncle apparently had a brand-new phone he could give me - which is great and I appreciate not having to spend the money right now - but I'm none too excited about losing my HTC One for a Sony Xperia M2 :-/ . Still have the original phone chilling in a bowl of rice, planning on checking it again in a few days. In the meantime yep, the hip is healing and I'm setting up the new phone.

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Dark Roast:
    Well, the lighter is solid and fires up no problems, but my phone is (by all indications) completely fried. Really sucks as my phone is a serious multi-tool for me and had hundreds of photos from around the world on it. Fortunately my wife's uncle apparently had a brand-new phone he could give me - which is great and I appreciate not having to spend the money right now - but I'm none too excited about losing my HTC One for a Sony Xperia M2 :-/ . Still have the original phone chilling in a bowl of rice, planning on checking it again in a few days. In the meantime yep, the hip is healing and I'm setting up the new phone.
    That sucks. Hopefully you can salvage the sd card and recover the data that was stored on it.
  • Options
    Bad_MonkeyBad_Monkey Posts: 110
    well, did you get to finish the stogie or what??