Options

New build, quest for 1200 yards

124»

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    The Kid:
    Curious what grain/caliber did you get him with, distance?? Yea when I saw the snow I knew it was gonna be a long day,,haha,, Keeps the meat cool though!! Did you have to chain up the four wheeler? I guess a sled would of came in handy.
    BTW the scope is bad azz
    275 yards, slight down hill. The area I hunted was north of Hwy 14 called eggers canyon. Its federal land that pretty easy to get back in a mile, then it goes strait up. I didn't have to chain up the 4 wheeler, there is a old road that goes a half mile back, then a pretty nice trail to the valley. I do need to go next summer and "prune" some evergreens, it will make next years hunt a lot better.

My hunting rifle is a Browning X bolt long range hunter. 26" barrel in 300WinMag. I hand load Nosler 180gr Accubonds with H4350. Im getting just shy of 3000 fps, awesome punch on big boned game. I hit him in the back right above the haunches first shot, then through the lungs on the second, he didn't go far.
    Thanks, love to hear all the details.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    firetruckguy:
    The Kid:
    Curious what grain/caliber did you get him with, distance?? Yea when I saw the snow I knew it was gonna be a long day,,haha,, Keeps the meat cool though!! Did you have to chain up the four wheeler? I guess a sled would of came in handy.
    BTW the scope is bad azz
    275 yards, slight down hill. The area I hunted was north of Hwy 14 called eggers canyon. Its federal land that pretty easy to get back in a mile, then it goes strait up. I didn't have to chain up the 4 wheeler, there is a old road that goes a half mile back, then a pretty nice trail to the valley. I do need to go next summer and "prune" some evergreens, it will make next years hunt a lot better.

My hunting rifle is a Browning X bolt long range hunter. 26" barrel in 300WinMag. I hand load Nosler 180gr Accubonds with H4350. Im getting just shy of 3000 fps, awesome punch on big boned game. I hit him in the back right above the haunches first shot, then through the lungs on the second, he didn't go far.
    I take it you're a bit of a sportsman as well Rudy? You get tags for anything this past year?
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Went to the gun smith yesterday to check my new scope and rings to make sure they will fit. My buddy at the gun shop said "the rings look pretty low"..........Turds

The rings are a 1/4" to low, lets the front of the scope hit the full length rail...... Double turds!

So now back to finding rings. One good thing he told me is I don't have enough MOA in the scope ring base to go ELR, so he said the best thing to do is find a scope mount. A scope mount is the rings and a mount all together, then you mount it on your rail or base. This setup is big in the AR world, and just starting to gain popularity in the long range world. Nice thing with the scope mount is that you can put more MOA in the mount so you have more usable adjustment in the scope.

Gun room is coming along, Ill post some pics tonight.
  • Options
    Have not had "the call" from my gun smith letting me know my rifle is started. Im in no hurry, but damn this has been a long wait. I want to shoot in next months local match if they can do some magic between now and then.

The gun room is getting fresh paneling over the next few days, decided to go with the "old school" look, like what I grew up with.
  • Options
    firetruckguy:
    Have not had "the call" from my gun smith letting me know my rifle is started. Im in no hurry, but damn this has been a long wait. I want to shoot in next months local match if they can do some magic between now and then.

The gun room is getting fresh paneling over the next few days, decided to go with the "old school" look, like what I grew up with.
    Very cool bro hope you get the call soon! Can't wait to see everything wrapped up ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    Hays:
    firetruckguy:
    I kinda fell off the face of the earth for a few weeks. Build is at the gunsmith, should be back first part of Feb.

Until then I am building my gun room/man cave.

Ill post some pictures.......
    Good! I´ve been following this thread, looks killer so far and the photos from the competition look like a great time. Looking forward to more updates.
    Hays! good to see you bro!
    Haha man, I didn't even realize it was you doing this thread for the longest time! That rifle coming together looks bada$$, and the scope looks like a beast. Too bad about the rings, but at least the end result should be killer. Jealous of that elk, must be some eatin'! Still keeping an eye out for those gun room pics.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Good news! I talked to the shop where my broom stick is at, and she is done! I cannot wait to go pick her up!

Pics when I get her.......
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing this!
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    Looking forward to seeing this!
    +1

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Pics!!!!'
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    The Kid:
    firetruckguy:
    The Kid:
    BTW the scope is bad azz

I take it you're a bit of a sportsman as well Rudy? You get tags for anything this past year?
    @ Irish,,Just saw this today,,,, No, haven't been big game hunting for sometime. Matt Booth did name a cigar after my hunting prowess though,,,;o) Seriously the only animal I'd be interested in bagging is an Elk. Too much meat for me, myself and I. Even with venison I'd end up giving a lot away. I would skin and gut (obviously) but when you also add in butcher costs and processing, it turned into a expensive hobby. Buddy of mine would debone and grind his own burger, which defiantely helped on the costs. Though I do miss hunting camp and sittin round the campfire with the boys.

@FTG glad to hear the "Broomstick" (haha) is ready. Bet your eager to check it out!
  • Options
    Dang, I thought I would get a chance to go over and pick up the rifle yesterday, but no! I had to move my oldest back home, took most of the day. Ill sneak over there Tuesday or Wednesday and pick her up.

Irish, if you want to be a RO in the up coming long range competition in may let me know.
  • Options
    firetruckguy:
    Dang, I thought I would get a chance to go over and pick up the rifle yesterday, but no! I had to move my oldest back home, took most of the day. Ill sneak over there Tuesday or Wednesday and pick her up.

Irish, if you want to be a RO in the up coming long range competition in may let me know.
    Thanks bro I will hit you up here today to say hey and catch up and we can talk then, so long as it ain't interfering with The Mrs. Irish's Bday/Mothers Day i dont see why not :)
  • Options
    Boom!

photo IMG_1249_zps93d6b20e.jpg

photo IMG_1250_zpsde90cd1c.jpg

photo FullSizeRender1_zps1b338875.jpg
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My goodness....That's sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    That looks outstanding bro holy cats wow!!!
  • Options
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuggin A man, that thing looks devilish! Love that, looking forward to your report after breaking it in!

• Options
    Thanks boys, I'm more excited then a virgin on prom night! I have a tone of stuff to do before I can get out and shoot her, but ill be sure to let you know when its going to happen.

Now it just needs to get warm.......
  • Options
    Move to south Texas....I had my two youngest out yesterday!!!

• Options
    Stubble:
    Move to south Texas....I had my two youngest out yesterday!!!

Awesome pic Steve, what are the boys shooting?
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Single shot .22 target rifles with peep sights. The synthetic stock is a Savage Mark 1 FVT and the wood stock is an old Mossberg 44 US-D that still groups like a champ!
  • Options
    Stubble:
    90+ Irishman:
    Single shot .22 target rifles with peep sights. The synthetic stock is a Savage Mark 1 FVT and the wood stock is an old Mossberg 44 US-D that still groups like a champ!
    Very very cool!
  • Options

So its been a while, time to bump it.

I was able to take the new hammer out to the rang last week and put some rounds at 100 to get the scope zeroed. This thing is going to be fun!

I shot 35 rounds off the bench looking for a good powder load it liked, found it.

The hammer went with me to the long range shoot last weekend to get some dope on the load Im shooting. 220 grain bullet going 2975 fps, that will do. The weather was horrible, so I didn't get to take it long, but I did pick up a few plates to shoot on my own.

If all my figures are correct on paper and in my ballistic calculator, I should be able to hit a target at 1780 yards....... can you say happy??

I need to get one more issue machined before it finished, but I should have her done by summer.

• Options

I cannot get the smile off my face. I was able to stretch the legs of my rifle yesterday.

I was helping with a ELR training class when the instructor asked me if I have my rifle with me. "Well yes" I told him, as a big grin came across my face.

I haven't had time to gather all the goodies that one needs to shoot long rang, like a wind monitor, range finder, stuff like that. So I really had just put the project on hold until I'm able to pick that stuff up.

So Zac was nice enough to let me shoot and use the dope from all the rest of the shooters.

First target was 1000 yards. I ran the scope up to 6.1 mils with 1 mil wind drift, put the cross hairs on the red dot painted on a 12" by 18" plate and pulled the trigger.

BONG!!!!!!! first hit on a plate at 10000 yards! 4 out of 5 hits on that plate!

then we moved to the 1350 plate. ran the scope to 9.9 mils and 7 out of 10 hits.

Zac then asked me, "feeling bad a$$ today?" head for the 2000 yard plate.

I ran the scope up to 20 mils, 2.5 mils on the wind, and pulled the trigger. Dust at about 1900 yards, ran it up to 21 mils and pulled, right off the plate. Three more tries got me on the 2000 yard plate! 4 out of 15 on a 2000 yard plate.

needless to say I'm happy, Cannot wait to try this again!

• Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome, congrats on the shooting.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't shoot rifles, but that must be a great feeling to be able to pull a trigger and have something under your control go 2000 yards and hit something that small.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    That is SERIOUSLY bad-a$$, man! Looks like you completed that "quest" you were on, and then some!

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Quest completed, Link…..
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..