• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHewey:
    Looks like a party!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    JHewey:
    Looks like a party!
    Hell yeah it does! Loving the NEAT glasses too!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Had an amazing night of drinks last night out to dinner with my wife and a couple we're good friends with. We went to a great craft beer and whiskey bar, which to our surprise had a tap take-over night by both Port Brewing and Lost Abbey. I'd tried a beer by LA before and it was heavier than I was going for, so I went with a Port flight to start. That included Wipeout, Mongo, Santa's Little Helper, and Old Viscocity. All great beers, but I'd heard good things about OV and it didn't disappoint at all, fantastic! Then something caught my eye on the menu - a beer with BRETT! Allagash Midnight Brett. One of the best beers I've ever had, definitely the best sour beer I've ever had by leaps and bounds. To end is all we had a flight of Bourbons: Breckenridge Special Release, Berkshire, and Smooth Ambler "Yearling." I hadn't tried any before and all were steller. The Yearling was particularly impressive, smelling very strongly of alcohol but then tasting incredibly smooth and complex. The Breckenridge was a very rye-forward bourbon which I enjoyed a lot as well. Overall fantastic night, and I'm not nearly as hung over as I imagined I would be!
    Sounds like an outstanding night Bro, and glad to hear you enjoyed the sour beer it's something I do as well on occasion and when they are good they flat rock! I keep hearing outstanding things about Old Scout products and also about that Breckenridge Bourbon as well, thanks for the heads up!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    JHewey:
    Oustanding combo Justin, enjoy bro!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Spent some time with Pops on the back porch this afternoon, gave him a Zino Make of LA Toro that James (James40) sent me a box of, he loved it and I tried it a bit and it was outstanding thanks bro! Tried starting with a Davidoff Maduro T that I'd been saving for 3 years from Justin (JHewey) but sadly it was a bit plugged and would not stay lit so broke my heart but had to chuck it. I then moved on to a Partagas 150 Robusto with a wrapper that's now 38 years old and the whole cigar was 20 years old (released in 1995) that I paired with some Woodford Reserve from an old bottle Pops had... Not sure how but both the nose and the palate had this cotton candy or caramel apple note that was outstanding with the sweet and complex 150. A huge shout out to James Thanatos for giving me the Partagas 150 in Chicago in 2013 and also a big shout out to Justin for giving me a chance to try the Davidoff Maduro, I'm sure the next one will work out bro thanks!!

I cracked open the Frostbite Alaskan Glacier Vodka that Brian sent to me today. Pops is a big craft vodka fan and makes hands down the best martini I've ever had. I figured he would think the vodka was pretty special and you should have seen him light up when he saw and learned about it. We each poured a small dram neat and tasted it... Now I'm not the guy that likes vodka straight. I finally have an exception to that rule because holy cats I could and will drink this neat just like I do to my beloved whiskey! Sweet bright notes with a clean and crisp finaih with small grain characteristic that shows up, but most of all was the fact that there was ZERO burn! Brian j am floored and so grateful for such an amazing drink thank you really! I promise to never mix this unless I am doing it in a martini straight up! Thanks my friend really amazed and blessed to have such a generous and great friend like you to share something so special with me bro will never forget this.

90+ Irishman:
    I cracked open the Frostbite Alaskan Glacier Vodka that Brian sent to me today. Pops is a big craft vodka fan and makes hands down the best martini I've ever had. I figured he would think the vodka was pretty special and you should have seen him light up when he saw and learned about it. We each poured a small dram neat and tasted it... Now I'm not the guy that likes vodka straight. I finally have an exception to that rule because holy cats I could and will drink this neat just like I do to my beloved whiskey! Sweet bright notes with a clean and crisp finaih with small grain characteristic that shows up, but most of all was the fact that there was ZERO burn! Brian j am floored and so grateful for such an amazing drink thank you really! I promise to never mix this unless I am doing it in a martini straight up! Thanks my friend really amazed and blessed to have such a generous and great friend like you to share something so special with me bro will never forget this.

Sounds pretty awesome! Not a huge vodka person though but it sounds good
    90+ Irishman:

D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:

Tha LS bro it really was, blew me away!
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi-Res
    Thanks to Gray4Lines for sending me this shooter of JD Single barrel! I was not sure what to expect because I know and still enjoy JD quite a bit, it was my drink of choice in college and got me into many bad spots but great memories. The Single Barrel however, much like me, has matured and done some growing up. It was significantly smoother, had less of the sour mash corn sweetness, was smokier and had significant more complexity especially on the mid palate than I was expecting. The nose was a bit harsh which was strange to me, even in the Glencairn glass (thanks again Ken!) there was a lot of alcohol burn on the nose, and it was chocloately and oaked what I could get from it. Overall though I really enjoyed it thanks bro!!

• jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Well I can definitely see why everyone loves the Four Roses Single Barrel. As I posted in the WBDYGT thread the one I neded up getting is the OBSV mashbill which is one with 35% Rye. It is damn good and being my first Rye heavy Bourbon I was looking forward to it but also not sure if it would be a bit too much but it was very good. Definitely has some heat but not overwhelming at all and will definitely be looking to try some of the other varieties fo sho. Paired it with one of my favorite Cigars from this past year the Room 101 Namakubi Ecuador. Great Cigar and Great Bourbon.

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Celebrated last night my last day at my job image
    Glock1975:
    Celebrated last night my last day at my job image
    Congrats bro!!!
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Started off with a La Loiusiane, little sweet but added a 2nd measure of rye and it helped, was tasty. Then had a pour of some owa. Now I'm enjoyin some Barterhouse. with my evening stick.. Last night I cracked open the Rock Hill Farms.. fn fantastic. A must try! If anyone wants some help locating some lmk.
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    The Kid:
    Started off with a La Loiusiane, little sweet but added a 2nd measure of rye and it helped, was tasty. Then had a pour of some owa. Now I'm enjoyin some Barterhouse. with my evening stick.. Last night I cracked open the Rock Hill Farms.. fn fantastic. A must try! If anyone wants some help locating some lmk.
    Alkie, haha. You're going to make me open my bottle of the Rock.
    amz1301:
    The Kid:
    Do It!!!! What prompted me, was an email with an opportunity to get another bottle. So before I committed I wanted to taste. Man o Man after my first sip I cashed in on that one pronto. lol
    The Kid:
    amz1301:
    The Kid:
    Do It!!!! What prompted me, was an email with an opportunity to get another bottle. So before I committed I wanted to taste. Man o Man after my first sip I cashed in on that one pronto. lol
    Man that's aweosme congrats guys that ones way high up on my list glad its such a great one!
    90+ Irishman:
    The Kid:
    amz1301:
    The Kid:
    Man that's aweosme congrats guys that ones way high up on my list glad its such a great one!
    Just a touch on the sweet side, but it balances out very well.

On another note after a few pours I think I'm finally getting the hang of my 4 roses private barrel OESV. Its hot @ over 60 abv . I obviously was adding water, but it seems not enough. After some calculating, I brought it down to about 92 proof and Im finally able to get more out of it. Im no expert by any means but I found by drinking it @ I guesstimate around 100 - 105 was still overwhelming my palate.
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:
    The Kid:
    amz1301:
    The Kid:
    Just a touch on the sweet side, but it balances out very well.

On another note after a few pours I think I'm finally getting the hang of my 4 roses private barrel OESV. Its hot @ over 60 abv . I obviously was adding water, but it seems not enough. After some calculating, I brought it down to about 92 proof and Im finally able to get more out of it. Im no expert by any means but I found by drinking it @ I guesstimate around 100 - 105 was still overwhelming my palate.
    I tend to like big, bold spicy and sweet bourbons so sounds like the Rock Hills would be right up my alley thanks for the notes bro! And glad you are starting to truly enjoy the Four Roses, it's my favorite of all the ones I have so far and glad you are finally getting something special out of yours my friend :)
    Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel First Pour 2/14/2015 10pm

Nose: This is a syrupy fragrant fruit nose to it which I've started notice a trend in my tastes that I tend to like those quite a bit and this one is not different. In fact first thing I said to my wife when I cracked this bottle open for the very first time tonight, was that it reminded me almost of a fruit rollup (nosing the bottle immediately after cracking it open for the first time ever FYI) mixed with caramel and bourbon. In the Glencairn glass thats still pretty accurate though I'm now also picking up some vanilla and classic corn and the fruity notes aren't quite so in your face, its a really nice nose to it!

Palate: Holy **** this stuff is like drinking bourbon candy! It has a syrupy sweetness to it with vanilla, oak and large amounts of caramel and consistent notes of some mix of tropical fruits... Outstanding!! There is a very mild smokiness to it that shows up on the backend and a medium bodied spice that gently builds starting at the mid palate and joining up with a clean burn on the finish that is long to fade. Right now I can confidently say that at least as a first pour this is a 5/5 for me hands down and want to send a big shout out thank you to my brother Doug S. for sending me this as a gift, what an amazing treat thank you and I will make sure to always have a bottle of this in my bar!!!

Sounds really good and looked at some places online before but they were all Sold Out. Then found a place that said In Stock and $29.99 but when I added it to the cart it was $1000. Has to be the most frustrating thing about just getting into Bourbon now and seeing things that are good but are so tough to find now because people are either hoarding them or places are trying to rip people off.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

jimmyv723:
    Sounds really good and looked at some places online before but they were all Sold Out. Then found a place that said In Stock and $29.99 but when I added it to the cart it was $1000. Has to be the most frustrating thing about just getting into Bourbon now and seeing things that are good but are so tough to find now because people are either hoarding them or places are trying to rip people off.
    I'm really sorry to hear that bro that sucks and that is the trouble with some bottles for sure, I'm still blown away with what Doug and everyone else has done. I think the Elmer T. Lee can still be found with somewhat regular frequency by several guys here but I can't say for sure. If you want I will try to track down a bottle at a reasonable price for you? Let me know bro
    I appreciate it man but honestly probably won't be doing anything for a little while at least. Between the IRS **** me over and my hours at work being way down recently it sucks. I've got a nice little collection so far though and have learned a lot from you guys which has been a big help.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

jimmyv723:
    I appreciate it man but honestly probably won't be doing anything for a little while at least. Between the IRS **** me over and my hours at work being way down recently it sucks. I've got a nice little collection so far though and have learned a lot from you guys which has been a big help.
    Totally understand and sorry that work and IRS are fvcking with you thats nevwr fun, let me know if I can help you with anything Jim!
    90+ Irishman:

Nose: This is a syrupy fragrant fruit nose to it which I've started notice a trend in my tastes that I tend to like those quite a bit and this one is not different. In fact first thing I said to my wife when I cracked this bottle open for the very first time tonight, was that it reminded me almost of a fruit rollup (nosing the bottle immediately after cracking it open for the first time ever FYI) mixed with caramel and bourbon. In the Glencairn glass thats still pretty accurate though I'm now also picking up some vanilla and classic corn and the fruity notes aren't quite so in your face, its a really nice nose to it!

Palate: Holy **** this stuff is like drinking bourbon candy! It has a syrupy sweetness to it with vanilla, oak and large amounts of caramel and consistent notes of some mix of tropical fruits... Outstanding!! There is a very mild smokiness to it that shows up on the backend and a medium bodied spice that gently builds starting at the mid palate and joining up with a clean burn on the finish that is long to fade. Right now I can confidently say that at least as a first pour this is a 5/5 for me hands down and want to send a big shout out thank you to my brother Doug S. for sending me this as a gift, what an amazing treat thank you and I will make sure to always have a bottle of this in my bar!!!

Thanks for the review, nice pp on this one, haven't ever tried this. How would you compare to EC ER since theyre also in the same pp?
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:

Thanks for the review, nice pp on this one, haven't ever tried this. How would you compare to EC ER since theyre also in the same pp?
    I am a big big fan if the ER as most everyone knows and I would say that my bottle was comparable to the ER in terms of just how smooth and clean and how little alcohol burn there is on it but that the Elmer was significantly sweeter and had more fruit and berry tones to it that I really enjoyed. As much as I'd love to compare it to the EC I cant lol, oddly enough i still havent tried EC haha