Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Have any of you woodworking guys ever.......?

mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
made a duck call? I am curious how labor intensive it is. I know it would require a lathe but that is as far as Ive gotten. I am just now getting to where I can call and thought how cool it would be to make my own someday. These are both hand made by a local guy here. image

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not done any duck calls or pens but I've been turning things for years. Turning things on a lathe - anything - is amazingly rewarding. I started with just simple bowls and hollow vessels to more artistic stuff and what I call 'trickysh1t'.

If you once get started with a lathe you'll love it. Guaranteed!!

First Warrior has a huge lathe and does some wondrous stuff with it. Hope he chimes in on this thread and shows us some of his work. ??
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I've always admired what people that can make this stuff. One of my goals in life is learn how to make something out of wood using a lathe. My neighbor always did it and let me fool around when I was much younger than I am now. It's amazing that you can create all kinds of things with it.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sell duck call kits. I don't have a lathe, but use a drill press with a mandrel for pens and cigar punches. I have seen the call kits in catalogs. Way over my ability level though
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i started turning 36 years ago. I went from a craftsman 12x36 to several homemade machines, custom built machines, and a 20" Woodfast shorty and the Oneway 24"x 12' I have now. I at one time had six lathes set up in my studio each set up for a specific job. Now I have three. Lathes allowed me to build a 2000 sq ft studio and kept the lights on and put food on the table. I still turn bowls and decorative vessels but I find myself using the lathe as a part of the process sculpture tool. Here are some Sentinel series sculptures that are locust turned and carved with metal elements. The tallest is about 3'. image I have a web page also. Go to upper right and click on view gallery. Several of my series can be viewed. http://southernhighlandguild.org/pages/members/member-detail.php?id=171 I tell you guys finding the lathe and making a living at it saved my life after Vietnam.
  • Options
    I didn't want to hijack this thread. A good starter lathe for center work like duck calls is any 12"x36" machine or mini lathe. When you buy a lathe you are locking in the kind of work you can do on it. The swing diameter and length between centers and speed range. Faceplate work like bowls means you need electronic variable speed with a bigger swing which translates to more $. Stick to high speed steel tools and a aluminum oxide 60 or 100 grit wheel for your grinder and learn to sharpen tools. There are several jigs you can buy that will help you sharpen consistantly. Turning is fun, and there is a bit of danger that will keep you focused. I started by putting firewood splits between centers and turning weed pots, small vases for dried flowers. Have fun!!!
  • Options
    So cool! Where would you guys suggest you buy a lathe?
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:

Well, I'd start here: Click Here

Craftsman tools are usually good tools. I can't speak to the quality of Sears service dept when it comes to needing parts for anything, however. It's been years since my last bad experience with them. They may have improved since then.
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    Ck out http://www.packardwoodworks.com/ I've been dealing with Brad Packard for a long time. For week long workshops google up Arrowmount School in Gatlingburg TN and John C Campbell Folk School in Brasstown NC . Both schools are great and I have taught workshops for them.
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    Ck out http://www.packardwoodworks.com/ I've been dealing with Brad Packard for a long time. For week long workshops google up Arrowmount School in Gatlingburg TN and John C Campbell Folk School in Brasstown NC . Both schools are great and I have taught workshops for them. Whoops double post. The schools will accelorate your learning curve to lightspeed.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I'll check em out!