Home Non Cigar Related

Rye Whiskey

2»

Comments

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    I prefer Overholt to the Wild Turkey Rye. At least from what hazy memories I can dredge up... Been a while since I've had either.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Anyone ever try Pikesville? I had it in my whisky advent calendar last year and it was amazing, but I can't find the stuff anywhere around here.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Anyone ever try Pikesville? I had it in my whisky advent calendar last year and it was amazing, but I can't find the stuff anywhere around here.
    That's funny, the only pour of that I have ever had was from an Advent calendar as well. Looks like it is a Heaven Hill product for international sale. Closest I can find to you is DC area. Looks like it was available on www.thewhiskyexchange.com at one point, you you might watch there if you really want a bottle.

As far as Old Overholt vs Wild Turkey... 80 proof mixing whiskey vs 101 proof mixing whiskey at the same price point is no contest for me. And I actually find Wild Turkey Rye to be tasty enough to drink neat.
    Ken Light:

Lol, I'm drinking it right now, and said so in the my post yesterday in this same thread...

Send me your address, I'll send you a bottle. It's available here in MD.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Grand Father bought me my first drink and it was Rye Whiskey. It was at a bar in Pleasentville, NY, and the bar had to be 50 feet long. Often wondered it it was still there.

Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey I cryyyyyy-
    If I dont get Rye Whiskey, I surely will die-
    If the ocean was Whiskey and I was a duck,
    Id swim to the bottom and never come up-
    Id swim to the bottom and never come up-

Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey I cryyyyy
    If I dont get Rye Whiskey, I surely will die!

I live on Clintch Mountain and Wander Alone,
    As drunk as the Devil, so leave me alone
    Im as drunk as the Devil, so leave me alone-

Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey I cryyyyy,
    If I dont get Rye Whiskey I surely will die!

I eat when Im hungry and I drink when Im dry and if that tree dont fall on me-
    I live til I die!
    If a tree dont fall on me, I live til I die-

Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey I cryyyy
    If I dont get Rye Whiskey I surely will die
    If I dont get Rye Whiskey..

I surely will die.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bulliet is my favorite rye and a sazarac my favorite cocktail.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Echambers:
    You ever make a sazerac with Sazerac? Sazerception.
    jthanatos:
    Echambers:
    I have not. Sazerception! Lol.
    Echambers:
    jthanatos:
    Echambers:
    Then go to New Orleans and drink your Sazerac made from Sazerac in the bar named Sazerac.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Echambers:
    jthanatos:
    Echambers:
    Then go to New Orleans and drink your Sazerac made from Sazerac in the bar named Sazerac.
    You use to be able to do that in Michigan until Sazerac sued Sazerac for the use of the name Sazerac. Now The Rezervoir (formerly Sazarac) wont serve anything made by Sazerac, so you can no longer get a Sazerac with Sazerac in it.
    ddubridge:
    jthanatos:
    Echambers:
    jthanatos:
    Echambers:
    You use to be able to do that in Michigan until Sazerac sued Sazerac for the use of the name Sazerac. Now The Rezervoir (formerly Sazarac) wont serve anything made by Sazerac, so you can no longer get a Sazerac with Sazerac in it.
    I think spent a week inNew Orleans one night....
    What did you drink, and where do I get some?!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Echambers:
    ddubridge:
    jthanatos:
    Echambers:
    jthanatos:
    Echambers:
    I think spent a week inNew Orleans one night....
    Imagine how I feel. LOL
    A Saserac made with Sazerac Rye, sweetened with Lucid Absinthe and garnished with a local orange is perhaps the finest cocktail ever made.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    Ken Light:

Lol, I'm drinking it right now, and said so in the my post yesterday in this same thread...

Send me your address, I'll send you a bottle. It's available here in MD.
    Well that's what I get for not reading through everything, huh? This would seriously make my year. I mean other than the wife expecting and all, of course, lol. PM incoming.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    So last night I indulged into the Pendleton 1910..Wont go into history, one can read it here.
    http://www.drinkspirits.com/canadian-whisky/pendleton-1910-canadian-rye-whiskey-review/

I like Rye, so an aged 12 year from Canada, well slap my ass and call me Judy Ill give that a shot.
    Hmmm Im still undecided, Nose was caramel, Vanilla, and Alcohol, guess I should of let it breath a bit. Taste, smooooooooth, I wasn't expecting it to be so smooth. Notes of cinnamon, vanilla, maple, and spice. My first impression is a little too syrupy. Almost like liqueur, for somereason while drinking it I got the thought of Nyquil but 100 fold tastier. Actually, I may just refill empty Nyquil bottles with this stuff.. Kinda reminiscent of Southern comfort ,kinda,, but different flavor. I was told that the regular Pendleton is much sweeter, man glad I didn't go that route cause I didn't expect a Rye to be this sweet. Will have to do more sampling.. I figure this will be great over Ice Cream or in Egg Nog. More sampling! Enjoy