Home Non Cigar Related

Cigars are cigars and they all taste the same to me.

I don't get where everyone gets such a verities of flavors from, they all taste the same to me.

Comments

• variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    "all" is such a broad term.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • timtomtimtom Posts: 40
    variant2:

???????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Once you've been smoking for a while your palate will become more apt to picking up the fine nuances of the tobaccos. It does take some time and a whole lot of patience.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    yea explore some more.... try a good hand rolled, then have a gas station stick. Easiest way to see the difference in cigars.

Aj
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't like 'em, don't smoke 'em. But if you like it, who cares if you taste differences? You probably will after a while, though.

Check out all the threads on the cigar 101 about developing your palate and tastes. Read some reviews of cigars you smoke and see if you can get what the other reviewers are talking about. And try eating lots of different foods with strong but subtle flavors. Like coffee and chocolate and wine.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a hard time distinguishing flavor profiles. If I know what flavors can be found in a specific cigar then I can try to "find" that flavor. I kinda like the hunt for a specific flavor. It helps me notice and define other flavors that are in the cigar. Otherwise I just enjoy the cigar for what it is and not worry about tasting every nuance. :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    95% of them taste like some kind of woodsy and spice flavor to me. Still enjoyable. Rarely I'll get a fruity or floral note...yum.
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    variant2:

???????
    What cigars did you smoke to reach such a conclusion?

It obviously wasn't "all". Even with my crappy palate, I can at least differentiate the basic pepper, wood, cream, etc. of various cigars. If you tell us what you have tried already, maybe someone can suggest a cigar that might make a difference.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Izzat Tim Tom or Jim Tom?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    I don't get where everyone gets such a verities of flavors from, they all taste the same to me.
    Some people are colorblind, others tone deaf, and so they shouldn't judge art or music.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Stop smoking cheap cigars!
    Money can't buy taste
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... and socks are just pieces of cloth to cover up you feet
    photo 20141206_130018.jpg
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    photo 010FA9F5-43E6-4D74-8F9E-9473005876E1.jpg
    Money can't buy taste
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    timtom:

ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    it would be wonderful to sit down with you and smoke a cigar. having someone discuss the concepts of developing your palate while actually taking part in developing your palate is the best way to do it. a conversation is so fluid and questions flow easily in real life. the forum does a good job but find someone that can help. your local tobaccanist can help quite a bit. may be a good place to start.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slow your smoking down. Slow smoking is the only way to get the flavors to come forward. Savor the smoke.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    timtom:
    Here is something that works for me... Now, I have long ago mastered the art of retrohale which helps pick up on many of the flavors, but try this..when you are slowly letting the smoke out of your mouth, stick your tongue out slightly through your closed lips. Practice different approaches to this method and I am nearly certain you will pick up more flavors. Let me know how it works out.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Threads are threads and they all read the same to me.

General Discussion?
    Cigar 101?
    Non cigar?

I don't get where everyone gets different types of posts from, they all read the same to me.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Threads are threads and they all read the same to me.

General Discussion?
    Cigar 101?
    Non cigar?

I don't get where everyone gets different types of posts from, they all read the same to me.
    that's funny right there!
    no matter where you go, there you are.

Been trying, all still the same. My taste buds might be duds.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    Been trying, all still the same. My taste buds might be duds.
    If you aren't enjoying it, then not sure what to tell you.
    Do they all smell the same to you?
    Either keep trying or try a wider variety of cigars and see if you find any difference.

Or your other option is to just give up.

Cigars are cigars
    And steaks are steaks, music is music, guns are guns and cars are cars.
    They are all the same, right?

You might not be able to tell the difference, but there is a difference.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to stop thinking about what I thought the "flavors" tasted like and had to rethink them as feelings like a coco taste isn't "hot chocolate" is more of an after taste you get from eating a "Kiss" 5 minutes ago it not sweet on your palette anymore but you know you had coco. if that makes sense. I had to rethink that a lot about the flavors, and I had to watch a lot of review on you tube and try and smoke along with them to try and pick out what they are thinking to help develop my pallet. that's my 2 cents!
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like a lot of people on here telling the difference between what kind of tree comes across from the cigar does not interest me. But I can tell which cigars I like and ones that I am not interested in smoking again. Cinco Vegas Gold is to me very smooth and almost creamy, and I like them a lot.

I have about 15 of the no loner made La Perla Black Pearl Oro and camp fire, marshmallows with an occasional blast of mint keep me on the lookout for any still out there. I also find the Drew Estate Java Mint to be very interesting though a bit hard to draw, and I pick up a couple every few months. Carlos Torano makes a whole slew of different cigars but I only smoke 2 of them.

The point is, they do taste different. I think if you start out looking for all the nuances in every cigar you will be disappointed and unhappy.

Buy samplers and after they have rested and have become acclimatized, just smoke it without looking for for berries and oak. If you like it, smoke another and take your time and figure out why. If you don't like it, don't smoke another and send any unlit ones to me.

It takes time just to find one you like and want to smoke on a regular basis. The heck with the other stuff.
    I only have this conclusion to draw upon:

I claim here and now to be a novice only to search out new ideas on exactly how to discover new flavors, not because of lack of trying, I have actually smoked many a cigar, but the experience seems to be the same. I find that people, in general, are more prone to giving good and sound advice to a novice than to a long time smoker when a question arises as to taste.

Please forgive me of this transgression but I have been stumped on flavor for a while now and needed input and thought this, although deceptive, way was the best for gaining in the knowledge that many of you possess.

Enjoy your smokes with all the enthusiasm they deserve. I know I do when I smoke, which has become infrequently at best now, because I found that against popular thought, cigars seem to become bland as the taste buds become somewhat indifferent to various taste the longer a person smokes. The rest I have found to be just mind over matter wishful thinking. Too think a flavor into being is not to really perceive that particular taste in the first place, hence the finding of cigars to be few of true flavors turns over a new leaf of discussion.

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    timtom:
    I only have this conclusion to draw upon: I claim here and now to be a novice only to search out new ideas on exactly how to discover new flavors, not because of lack of trying, I have actually smoked many a cigar, but the experience seems to be the same. I find that people, in general, are more prone to giving good and sound advice to a novice than to a long time smoker when a question arises as to taste. Please forgive me of this transgression but I have been stumped on flavor for a while now and needed input and thought this, although deceptive, way was the best for gaining in the knowledge that many of you possess. Enjoy your smokes with all the enthusiasm they deserve. I know I do when I smoke, which has become infrequently at best now, because I found that against popular thought, cigars seem to become bland as the taste buds become somewhat indifferent to various taste the longer a person smokes. The rest I have found to be just mind over matter wishful thinking. Too think a flavor into being is not to really perceive that particular taste in the first place, hence the finding of cigars to be few of true flavors turns over a new leaf of discussion.
    i am a relative novice, and i disagree and agree. You can pick up some of the core notes (creamy, Coffee, Chocolate/sweet, Pepper Spice, earth/leather and wood) pretty easily, but i agree with you when people start talking about picking up more obscure flavors like very specific nuts or can see the difference between molasses/raisin/carmel sweetness.

for example, smoke a Liga 9 and then smoke a Man O War Virtue. You can't tell me those two cigars taste the same to you. The difference is the flavors they provide. Liga 9 is coffee with sweetness and the MOW Virtue is Creamy and woody with a hint of spice. Now smoke a DPG Blue and a Alec Bradley Filthy Hooligan. Again they are 2 different cigars. DPG Blue gives you that spicy tingle and you can't retro it or else you get the burn where the Filthy Hooligan tastes like you are smoking some wet grass and dirt.

As far as going further to tell the difference between white pepper and black pepper, espresso vs regular coffee, Molasses sweetness vs. Chocolate sweetness, or Cedar vs Oak; I sometimes wonder if this is just wishful thinking/some way to differentiate between cigars or is my palate just not refined enough to pick those up. As i have smoked more and more, i tend to start to believe along the lines of people picking up things for the sake of picking up flavors to find a way to differentiate between cigars.
    timtom:
    I find that people, in general, are more prone to giving good and sound advice to a novice than to a long time smoker when a question arises as to taste.
    i have recommended many a vet to cigar smoking a new cigar including flavor profile. I usually base these recommendations off of what they say they like or other cigars that they like... or off of what they dont like in one cigar but do like in another cigar.

i know you are struggling with finding flavors. but dont give up. learn the core flavors of coffee, wood, leather, pepper, and earth. dont learn them through cigars. learn them by drinking coffee and taking the time to really understand it. Go to a woodshop and smell fresh sawn wood, walk into a store that sells mainly leather goods and take a deep breath, pop a few peppercorns in your mouth and really taste them, go in the back yard and dig a hole just after a good soaking rain. stick your face in there and smell it. have a reference point other than cigars for these flavors.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I posted before, sometimes it's not what I taste exactly but what my mind associates it with. I don't know what a barnyard tastes like, but there is a flavor I call barnyard. Do you retro? Even if your mouth flavor receptors suck bawlls, which sounds like your problem, have you tried to retro?
    do you even retro, bro?