Home Non Cigar Related

AR15 thread (or similar)

mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
Well since there wasn't one, thought I would start one. I could use all the help you care to give!
mmccartneydc:
Ok, there isn't an actual AR thread so figured I'd bump this. So for Christmas, I am gonna get an AR. Really just want something for plinking, protection, and of course zombies. My father has built a few and he's recommending that I start by buying the complete lower at PSA for like 149$. Then I could research and get what ever upper that I want later. I was curious as to your opinions and to any other websites you recommend. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, you're better off building your own lower as that will help you understand how it works and how to troubleshoot it as well if the need ever arises.

If you know how to use basic tools you could put a lower together. There are tons of videos on youtube and schematics floating around so that you can match up the pieces to the diagram.

The trickiest part for beginners is installing the pivot detent springs & pins but if you watch the videos and you're careful, it's pretty simple.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted a reply in FTG's 1200 yard thread and sent you a pm with some links.

"It really depends on what your budget for the project is. I don't have any PSA lowers but I have used several barrels that I've purchased from them. I've had good luck with the cold hammer forged (CHF) barrels.

Most all lowers are built mil-spec, so it is your choice as to which roll mark and finish you like best. I've had great performance from AGP Arms, LAR, Mega, Stag, Superior Arms , All Star Tactical, and Del-Ton as far as lowers go. Some will have a rougher phosphate finish and others will have a smoother Teflon finish. You will want to pay attention to that when attempting to match up an upper to lower.

I would recommend different trigger than the stock one. ALG makes some decent triggers for the price...Rock River Arms NM 2 stage is nice for around $100. There are nicer ones but they start at around $280.

I would recommend a free float handguard. They will allow for more versatility and improved accuracy...IMHO.

Good luck and have fun!!! "
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the info fellas! I will definitely check those out Stub!
  • BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    Brownells has some good prices for parts of you decide to build one up.
    Hey guys, I would love to see any and all pics of AR's that we have out there! This is what I am thinking of going with at the moment:

What do you guys think?

EDIT*** Holy Crap! How do I make that smaller????????
    A pet peeve of mine is a butt stock that rattles. I prefer one that has a friction lock like on the Magpul CTR or similar. Look for a buffer tube that is a "six position" tube rather than a "four position" tube. That will give you wider choice of length of pull when shouldering the AR. What is the twits rate of the barrel? What optics or sights do you plan on using? Any idea how much that upper weighs with that rail/handguard?
    Another thing to consider is barrel length. Unless you plan on going NFA and purchasing a tax stamp($200 and a long wait for approval), the barrel has to have an overall length of 16 inches. If the barrel itself is less than sixteen inches, you must, by ATF rules, permanently attach the flash hider to achieve the overall length of sixteen inches.

For example, if you get a barrel that is 14.5 inches in length and simply screw on a flash hider, you will be in violation of federal law with out the NFA tax stamp.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the look of the ar's but don't think they are worth much...I'd rather have a 357 6inch barrel for home defense or a 308 for long range. Personally I ditched all my guns and gonna go crossbow and mussel loaders! Why? Because I'd rather get shot by a bullet then a braodhead and the mussel loaders sound great with nearly no kick! Plus it's a 45 for pistol or 50 for slugs
    Money can't buy taste
    Stubble:
    A pet peeve of mine is a butt stock that rattles. I prefer one that has a friction lock like on the Magpul CTR or similar. Look for a buffer tube that is a "six position" tube rather than a "four position" tube. That will give you wider choice of length of pull when shouldering the AR. What is the twits rate of the barrel? What optics or sights do you plan on using? Any idea how much that upper weighs with that rail/handguard?
    Thanks again for all the info. no idea on weight. Its not listed. The barrel is 16in and 1/7 twists. can not thank you enough for the Help.
    Looking for a BCG and a Charging handle. If anyone of you have an extra or know where I can score one inexpensively, please let me know!
    brownells.com has a bushmaster BCG on sale for 79.99
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Love the look of the ar's but don't think they are worth much...I'd rather have a 357 6inch barrel for home defense or a 308 for long range. Personally I ditched all my guns and gonna go crossbow and mussel loaders! Why? Because I'd rather get shot by a bullet then a braodhead and the mussel loaders sound great with nearly no kick! Plus it's a 45 for pistol or 50 for slugs
    I dont currently own a AR.. My nephew and niece got S&W M&P22 rifles last year for christmas (hers is pink/black camo). Fun lil guns to shoot. Very accurate right out of the box.. Was pretty impressed with them.

1 of these days after I finaly get all the revolvers, lever action and bolt action rifles I want (if it ever happens) I will think about putting a AR together..
    Brianak:
    brownells.com has a bushmaster BCG on sale for 79.99
    I actually saw that one. Can't believe I missed the combo PSA had! Both for 59.99!!!!
    I hear ya wildcat. Same scenario with me. Finally got a hunting rifle, shotty for duck hunting, muzzle loader, etc. Gonna get this and then a glock. That should square me away for a while! Maybe!
    mmccartneydc:
    I hear ya wildcat. Same scenario with me. Finally got a hunting rifle, shotty for duck hunting, muzzle loader, etc. Gonna get this and then a glock. That should square me away for a while! Maybe!
    Ive got a LOOONG list of revolvers, lever actions and bolt actions that are way before an AR.. I like Ars' but there is just so many cool old west style and bolt action guns I'd rather have.. I am a huge nut for octagon barrels.. 1 of my favorite guns to shoot is a black powder 44 revolver that shoots round balls. Sweet gun and by far not the most expensive example made but a lot of fun.
    I did almost buy a Windham AR a few months ago just cause I liked the story.. And Ive heard pretty good things about them.. But I opted for a bolt action Tikka T3 chambered in .223 instead. Have a Tikka T3 chambered in 300wsm for white tail and love it..
    So still waiting on my parts to come in, but I have been looking at mags. What are the thoughts on magpul, tapco, metal, etc.? Also, the only things I have not ordered yet are the BCG and the Charging handle. Why is there such a variance on price. I mean how much difference do each of these make? Remember, I'm a newb so take it slow for me! LOL, thanks in advance fellas!
    Have a bunch of USGI metal mags and a bunch of Magpul. I don't think I have touched the metal mags ever since I got Magpuls. They just seem to feed and load better.
    Brianak:
    Have a bunch of USGI metal mags and a bunch of Magpul. I don't think I have touched the metal mags ever since I got Magpuls. They just seem to feed and load better.
    thanks for the info. I think there is 10pk of the Magpuls for like 90$ that I'm gonna get. I bought 3 tapco's bc they were 6$ ea but since the gun isn't here yet, not sure if they are any good or not.
    Tapco polymer or aluminum? I've never tried their polymer. I have some aluminum GI mags from them with the green follower....never had an issue with those. Magpul is GTG in my opinion. Troy Battlemags are good, H&K mags are real nice but pricey. The one magazine that I personally have had problems with is the Stoner brand. They would not feed properly and caused jams.
    Stubble:
    Tapco polymer or aluminum? I've never tried their polymer. I have some aluminum GI mags from them with the green follower....never had an issue with those. Magpul is GTG in my opinion. Troy Battlemags are good, H&K mags are real nice but pricey. The one magazine that I personally have had problems with is the Stoner brand. They would not feed properly and caused jams.
    They were tapco polymer, I'll search for the link.........

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/tapco-30-rd-ar-15-magazine?a=542590

They went up, I bought mine for 5.99ea
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Any help on optics?
    I went with the Vortex Strikefire II and the Vortex 3X magnifier. Currently only have the magnifier and waiting for the Strikefire to show up.
    Leupold VX2 1x4, Aimpoint Pro or Comp series, Acog (I like the TA33). Anyway you go, don't forget about good BUIS (back-up iron sights). As for scope mounts, I really like the Burris PEPR.

ETA: If you are wanting to range out further than 300 yards, I would not recommend any of the above that I listed.
  • Darth_VaderDarth_Vader Posts: 223
    The new Steiner scopes are kicks a$$
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I'm not alone on this one.
    I've got a friend pricing uppers and lowers for me. He works at a shop so he gets a better discount. I'll update as things progress.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Would it be better for a newbie to buy complete or try and build not know much about parts a pieces. I'm thinking of buying in entry level and building from there. My brother just bought in entry level and loves his.
    Sorry I didn't respond to your text Dan. I was in the duck blind. So, by no means am I an expert, but I went with a complete upper, and a complete lower from PSA. I bought the lower for 149, and the upper for 199. Now I'm just waiting for a deal on the BCG and the CH. As far as sights, I bought a cheaper red dot that has iron sights built in to the top of it. I have no idea how it will perform but if it gets me on paper at 100yds I'll be happy. The scope I bought looks like this:

So since nothing has come in yet, I cant even comment on what they look like. But that is what I decided to go with.
    So here it is. Not a very good pic but I'm definitely happy with it considering what I have in it. The true test will be when I get it to the range!image
    Sweet...Congrats!!