Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

name my Scout

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Received an email from my dealer yesterday. New Indian Scout motorcycles are beginning to ship. All are promised to deliver this month. I put a deposit on mine a week before the deadline; so mine will probably not come early. Soon as it hits the truck in Spirit Lake Iowa they'll send my dealer the VIN, dealer will call me, I'll input the VIN on-line with my insurance company, take the insurance card which that page generates to the bank, arrive at the dealer all ducks in a row, ride home to break her in.

The pannier problem still persists. Latest word is panniers won't ship until February. The bike is of no use to me without some kind of way to carry my lunch to work, a duffel to the gym, or etc. No rack, single seat. However, I have several alternatives in mind. So this may work out by bike arrival.

So. Now is the time to settle on a name for her. I have three ideas. Tell me what you think, or else suggest a better one:

Aokakitsiwa -- Blackfoot (Siksika -- my great-grandmother's nation) for Scout. One who finds out where the buffalo are roaming and reports back. The right tribe, the right word, but certainly does not roll off the tongue. Nickname Awka sounds like a killer whale in Boston.

Whekenitu -- Shoshone for searcher. A much better known word. Certainly fits my philosophical bent. Does not roll off the tongue. Nickname Wheck rhymes with wreck.

Rhonda -- for Rhonda Rousey; cause this bike is small, powerful, and red hot sexy. Rolls off the tongue. Nothing to do with Indian or Scout. Bearswatter will not be keen on my throwing a leg over Rhonda. Help me Rjhonda -- gotta love the Beach Boys.

Dull-Aware vanity motorcycle license plates cannot exceed five characters. Scout is taken. Scowt and Scoot are both available, and so is Ronda. I have reserved all three for sixty days (you do that on-line for free). !njun is available; but I'm not keen on that. Aoka is available; but no one would get that. Either Indian name, I'd probably get Scowt for the plate. Rhonda I'd get Ronda.

Tell me what you guys think. Vote for one or suggest another. If you suggest and I dig it, I'll shoot you a package of how many cigars I can stuff in a small priority. If N many vote for one of the three above, and I dig it, then I'll hit random org to choose from one to N, and the winner gets a package. If I choose some other thing not submitted here, then I dunno. You have from now until I get the VIN.

Here's the bike we're talking about:

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Rain
  • Options
    BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    Weneeda - After Rains We need a threads.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akela.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akicita, Lakota for warrior or Tunweya, Lakota for scout. Maybe Red Horse.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Da Shizz
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ol bessy!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Hi vote Ronda.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mangus Coloradas, after the famous Apache chief who was murdered and had his head shipped to the Smithsonian. 6'5" tall he thought that if he approached the white miners in peace to work out a deal concerning where they could mine and when, that they would treat him with the same respect he was showing them. After all, he could have just told his warriors to rub them out, which would have taken them no time at all.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Out of the choices you gave I like "Scowt".
    I also looked at the Indian Scout website and thought of some other 5 character possibilities: "Vtwin","Style","Kudos" or "Tribe".
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Cherokee word for scout

agateno (Aw-Ga-Tano) - one who looks around
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Although it might be too long, I like "Wind in His Hair", from the Lakota character in Dances with Wolves. Tried to find the Lakota translation for that without much luck, but I did find a site that showed "tate", pronounced "ta-tay", as Lakota for "wind". Tatay would fit on the plate nicely.
    Whatever name you choose, that is a sweet ride-congrats.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Eagle, as in Eagle Scout......yes i am one.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful bike! She's definitely a Ronda! Enjoy, brother!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherm of course. If it has to be a female, I would say it looks like a Josephine.
  • Options
    gripnrip:
    Although it might be too long, I like "Wind in His Hair", from the Lakota character in Dances with Wolves. Tried to find the Lakota translation for that without much luck, but I did find a site that showed "tate", pronounced "ta-tay", as Lakota for "wind". Tatay would fit on the plate nicely.
    Whatever name you choose, that is a sweet ride-congrats.
    Never thought of wind. Blackfoot for wind is "sopo". Blackfoot (Siksika) is one of those languages where you tack together a number of bits and pieces to round out a word into a full meaning. The trailing bit "wa" personalizes the word, so now it refers to a creature. Like so: Siksika is the tribe; but my great-grandma was Siksikiwa. So add "wa" to give persona to the wind, and you would have Sopowa. Wind creature. I'll have to check with the gal who gave me Aokakitsiwa to make sure I'm not inadvertently saying "barn apples" or some such; cause I got no clue what I'm doing. But, see, Sopowa sounds much softer, more feminine; and as an old schooner builder and sailor, wind is all good. Damn. Glad I asked here. Tate would work except people would read it "Tate", like the last name. Tatay would look like "save the tatas". Thinking aloud here. Something to sleep on.

gripnrip, PM me your addy, cause you're gonna get some Merry Christmas regardless. That's thinking outta the box there.

Wind -- with life in it -- like Aeolus, Zephyrus, Ehecatl, Tate, Sopowa.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    She looks like an Elvira to me
  • Options
    Shappa - Sioux for "Red Thunder"

Anaba - From the Native American name Anaba Meaning: ‘She returns from battle’ Emotional Spectrum • Somewhat headstrong, she must guard against impulse. Personal Integrity • Anaba is the height of respectability. Personality • Nice to all great and small. Relationships • Many people will find her their best friend. Travel & Leisure • Lives for the weekends!

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    webmost:
    Received an email from my dealer yesterday. New Indian Scout motorcycles are beginning to ship. All are promised to deliver this month. I put a deposit on mine a week before the deadline; so mine will probably not come early. Soon as it hits the truck in Spirit Lake Iowa they'll send my dealer the VIN, dealer will call me, I'll input the VIN on-line with my insurance company, take the insurance card which that page generates to the bank, arrive at the dealer all ducks in a row, ride home to break her in.

The pannier problem still persists. Latest word is panniers won't ship until February. The bike is of no use to me without some kind of way to carry my lunch to work, a duffel to the gym, or etc. No rack, single seat. However, I have several alternatives in mind. So this may work out by bike arrival.

So. Now is the time to settle on a name for her. I have three ideas. Tell me what you think, or else suggest a better one:

Aokakitsiwa -- Blackfoot (Siksika -- my great-grandmother's nation) for Scout. One who finds out where the buffalo are roaming and reports back. The right tribe, the right word, but certainly does not roll off the tongue. Nickname Awka sounds like a killer whale in Boston.

Whekenitu -- Shoshone for searcher. A much better known word. Certainly fits my philosophical bent. Does not roll off the tongue. Nickname Wheck rhymes with wreck.

Rhonda -- for Rhonda Rousey; cause this bike is small, powerful, and red hot sexy. Rolls off the tongue. Nothing to do with Indian or Scout. Bearswatter will not be keen on my throwing a leg over Rhonda. Help me Rjhonda -- gotta love the Beach Boys.

Dull-Aware vanity motorcycle license plates cannot exceed five characters. Scout is taken. Scowt and Scoot are both available, and so is Ronda. I have reserved all three for sixty days (you do that on-line for free). !njun is available; but I'm not keen on that. Aoka is available; but no one would get that. Either Indian name, I'd probably get Scowt for the plate. Rhonda I'd get Ronda.

Tell me what you guys think. Vote for one or suggest another. If you suggest and I dig it, I'll shoot you a package of how many cigars I can stuff in a small priority. If N many vote for one of the three above, and I dig it, then I'll hit random org to choose from one to N, and the winner gets a package. If I choose some other thing not submitted here, then I dunno. You have from now until I get the VIN.

Here's the bike we're talking about:

the movie the Searchers with John Wayne Comanche Chief named " Scare"
  • Options
    phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    Behike
  • Options
    OK... Just one more. It's not native American, but it is bad@ss...

Anejo
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:

The Lakota dictionary tells me shappa means dirty. You gotta watch out for these baby naming sites, Puffy, cause they are mostly full of crap.

• Options
    webmost:
    Puff_Dougie:

The Lakota dictionary tells me shappa means dirty. You gotta watch out for these baby naming sites, Puffy, cause they are mostly full of crap.

Oops. Sorry.
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gertrude, Maybelle, and Edith are already taken..lol............... Alope.. First of Geronmo's 9 wives
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Rogue - A Stealthy Scout, but can also kick some serious ass which I think definitely fits for this Bike. Nice choice and like it a lot.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Lola Longride!
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    monster.
    Except it's not a Ducati!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Gregg Easterbrook writes a football and more column for ESPN, Tuesday Morning Quaterback, where, in protest of the Washington NFL team's name he calls them the "Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons." This could become the plate: PDBIP. However, that only works if you're a fan of the team or protesting its name. And it's not very catchy.

I like your first choice-Aokakitsiwa.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    The Backfoot speaker tells me the word for wind is sopoyi, but that Sopowa would be perfectly understandable as Windmaker. Going with that. Thanks to gripnrip for the idea. He asked his winnings be handed to a randomly met person. The homeless cat with a cardboard sign at the shopping center exit near my office scored some Smelly Kalikimaka. No pic of course.

• Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Would like to see pics of Sopowa when you get her.