Home General Discussion
Options

Reliable lighters

I'm sick and tired of lighters working for one fill and then quitting. I believe I'm purging and refilling properly but feel free to offer suggestions for both refilling and brands that work consistently. I moved to matches months ago as they work everytime. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    I'm sick and tired of lighters working for one fill and then quitting. I believe I'm purging and refilling properly but feel free to offer suggestions for both refilling and brands that work consistently. I moved to matches months ago as they work everytime. Thanks in advance.
    James, I'm with you. Just went to matches as they are cheaper and more reliable. I will say, the only lighter that has worked consistently for me is my Bugatti and that was part of some package deal quite a few March Madness deals ago.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Zippo torch... Never had an issue, BigT sent it to me a while back. My shop owner swears by Jetline, and apparently they are lifetime now as well.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I have 2 Xikar's (both the InPress) and a cheapo my wife grabbed at walmart (not the Ronson). Truthfully, the cheapo just works. It's not flashy and fancy, just works. The Xikars are nice, and work well...when they work. Sometimes I have to go 4-5 clicks, to get flame. Sometimes they act like they are out of fuel, when I know they are full. Don't be afraid of cheaper lighters. I've heard many people around here swear by the Ronson single flame, about $5 at Walmart.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bernz-o-matic ST2200 micro torch.
    Can adjust to soft flame or torch.
    Never had a problem with filling it and tank lasts a very long time on one fill.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love my Ronson. Best cheap lighter there is.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    +10 on this !!
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From ebay $4.98. Honorknight7 sent me 1 and I bought 3. Huge tank and always works and at that price who cares if one doesn't.

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    Glock1975:
    +10 on this !!
    This ... and if you know how to use it, it doubles as a bottle opener
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get too attached to them anymore. I had a Bugatti that was dependable and all of a sudden done. I have a Xikar that has been working great for a year. They are great with their warranty, so I will send that back if it stops working. I love the AB tabletop burner for my smoking spot at home. When all else fails, grab the Ronson
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    it may be your fuel. look for butane that is refined 3 or more times. every lighter i have procured since i made that switch still works for me. 2 xikars, one Bugatti, and one vector.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    james40:
    it may be your fuel. look for butane that is refined 3 or more times. every lighter i have procured since i made that switch still works for me. 2 xikars, one Bugatti, and one vector.

I'll second what Matt said about quality fuel and take it one step further. The last couple cans of fuel I've purchased were refined 14 times if you can believe what the label says. Still, when I get ready to fill my cheap-@ss lighter, I'm very careful not to shake or otherwise agitate the contents of the fuel can. I get the lighter ready, turn down the gas knob, and purge it. Then I carefully tip the can up and proceed to fill the lighter. This way, if there IS any sediment in the can it's less likely to end up in my cheap-@ss lighter. Did I mention that my lighter is a cheap-@ss one? I've used it for about 3 years now, successfully, and paid about $8 for it including freight. I think highly refined, non-agitated fuel goes a long way toward keeping a lighter working. Just MHO.... ??
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    twistedstem:
    Glock1975:
    +10 on this !!
    wait a minute??? what...you neeed to show us broceefus!!!

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the fuel! I use vector and have not had any issues with any lighter! Xikar use to say near zero impurities but now it has changed...I guess they were investigated. But yeah fuel is a big problem solver IMO!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    danielzreyes:
    twistedstem:
    Glock1975:
    +10 on this !!
    did you not go to college??
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    twistedstem:
    danielzreyes:
    twistedstem:
    Glock1975:
    +10 on this !!
    did you not go to college??
    no no i didnt..

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Thanks for the advice. It's either me or the fuel and this is what I use. I think I'll place an order for some better fuel.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-5-5-oz-Butane-Gas-Refill-Canister-329853/202185023
  • Options
    james40:
    Thanks for the advice. It's either me or the fuel and this is what I use. I think I'll place an order for some better fuel.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-5-5-oz-Butane-Gas-Refill-Canister-329853/202185023

Hi, James. I can't make that page enlarge on my iPhone - does it say on the label how many times it's been refined? It may be that the kind of torch that fuel is meant for may have a larger orifice than our cigar lighters and could pass sediment easier than our lighters. Just guessin'..... ??
  • Options
    twistedstem:
    danielzreyes:
    twistedstem:
    Glock1975:
    +10 on this !!
    here ya go Vancey pants
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    We couldnt see, ur fat hand was in the way. Lol
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    LOL ... I'll try to get my wife to hold my phone next time
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    roland_7707:
    LOL ... I'll try to get my wife to hold my phone next time

Just tell him to put a sock in it, lol.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    jlmarta:
    james40:

Hi, James. I can't make that page enlarge on my iPhone - does it say on the label how many times it's been refined? It may be that the kind of torch that fuel is meant for may have a larger orifice than our cigar lighters and could pass sediment easier than our lighters. Just guessin'..... ??
    Thanks Marty. I just ordered some Colibri from here so I'll give that a try. Do I need to do any prep besides purging in order to use the new fuel (cleaning the lighter, compressed air, etc..)?
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    does the refinement of the fuel really that important? I see the 10 and 12 refined stuff at the head shops all the time and just figured it was a gimmick for crack heads

Aj
  • Options
    james40:
    jlmarta:
    james40:

Thanks Marty. I just ordered some Colibri from here so I'll give that a try. Do I need to do any prep besides purging in order to use the new fuel (cleaning the lighter, compressed air, etc..)?

I don't usually bother with the compressed air but it probably wouldn't hurt. And I guess I'm kinda **** with things like this but I always turn the fuel adjustment all the way down before purging and filling. And then I turn it back up to its normal setting and let the fuel warm up for a few minutes before trying to light it. It doesn't burn well when it's cold. But you probably know all that stuff anyway.... ??
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    does the refinement of the fuel really that important? I see the 10 and 12 refined stuff at the head shops all the time and just figured it was a gimmick for crack heads

Aj

I think the refinement matters a great deal but, as I told James40 in the above post, I'm kinda **** about stuff like this.... ??. (Course, ya can't argue with success...)
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    twistedstem:
    danielzreyes:
    twistedstem:
    Glock1975:
    +10 on this !!
    here ya go Vancey pants
    I'm gonna try that right now!!!

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    My daily use in the States was a Xikar Flintfire II, and I never had a problem with it. Hell, even if I did the warranty is unbeatable. Here I use a Pierre Cardin, and honestly I've never had a problem with it either. Only thing is, it's rather pretty so sometimes I use a cheapo BIC to reduce the use of it.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨