Home Non Cigar Related
Options

A scripture a day keeps the devil at bay.

Comments

• Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big''nBall''n:
    Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. —Psalm 1:1-2
    I find that it would be hard to follow this scripture in these days and times. or maybe i dont understand this scripture. I feel that we all at times fall in into one of these catagory, wicked, sinner, mockers. i know there is not a level of severity to these either. i'm not sure what i'm trying to say i guess.
    I hear what you're saying, bro. The verses aren't talking about being perfect, but the direction you are trying to go. There's a progression from walking to standing to sitting. If you walk with the wicked you'll end up standing with sinners and eventually sitting with mockers. The idea is that if you go down the wrong path, you get more comfortable with it as you go. The challenge is to seek God's will and make your goal to keep moving towards him. Nobody ever does that perfectly, but He promises blessing when we make Him our delight.

Sorry, put on my preacher hat for a minute there. :^)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I think so too Doug. Was a good reply. No appology needed.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Agreed with Doug.

The progression describes people who begin to imitate those who despise God's Law and replace it with something that suits their own whims. Imitation leads to alliance, and alliance leads to assimilation. This leads to outright rejection and even ridicule of God and His Word. Those who refuse to tread this path avoid this downward spiral and therefore are truly blessed.

Also, I think it is interesting that some theologians have seen this Psalm as Messianic, that is, pointing to the Messiah who would come in the future to fulfill these things in order to be the perfect substitute for sinners.

Sorry, now I put on my preacher hat. :)

This was one I had to memorize in Hebrew class, Psalm 1:1
    ??????????????????? ???????? ???? ??????? ????????? ??????????? ??????????? ?????????? ???? ?????? ???????????? ???????? ???? ????????
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    Agreed with Doug.

The progression describes people who begin to imitate those who despise God's Law and replace it with something that suits their own whims. Imitation leads to alliance, and alliance leads to assimilation. This leads to outright rejection and even ridicule of God and His Word. Those who refuse to tread this path avoid this downward spiral and therefore are truly blessed.

Also, I think it is interesting that some theologians have seen this Psalm as Messianic, that is, pointing to the Messiah who would come in the future to fulfill these things in order to be the perfect substitute for sinners.

Sorry, now I put on my preacher hat. :)

This was one I had to memorize in Hebrew class, Psalm 1:1
    ??????????????????? ???????? ???? ??????? ????????? ??????????? ??????????? ?????????? ???? ?????? ???????????? ???????? ???? ????????
    Gosh, you mean I have to go see if I can remember the difference between Qal and Piel and dig out my BDB for this thread, now?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Yes!!! (No idea what u just asked. Lol)
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    That makes alot more sense thanks
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    James 1:3-4
    3. Knowing this , that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
    4. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Philippians 4:19-23
    19. But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
    20. Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
    21. Salute every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren which are with me greet you.
    22. All the saints salute you, chiefly they that are of Caesar's household.
    23. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    2 Corinthians 12:9-10
    9. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    10. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Bump
    Hebrews 11:1
    1. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great thread! How did I not see this until Roland's bump?!?

I guess you might deduce from my username, this will be a thread I'll be reading!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    I think it was on page 4 or so. I dont post as often as I should. Life happens.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Hebrews 4:16
    16. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Matthew 6:26
    26. Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your Heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Jesus did this even though he knew it would make them mad.

Do the right thing even if it makes others uncomfortable!!
    Mark 3:4-6
    4. And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.
    5. And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.
    6. And the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    John 20:31 KJV
    [31] But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

One God, One Truth
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for bumping this, Dane, and keeping the thread alive.

I like verses that point to Jesus giving us life; I like to say He gave His life for us, in order that He could give His life to us.

...yet you refuse to come to Me that you may have Life.   Jesus, from Jn.5:40

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Acts 10:34-35 KJV
    [34] Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: [35] But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Philippians 4:6-7 KJV
    [6] Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. [7] And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Romans 5:1-5 KJV
    [1] Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: [2] By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. [3] And not only so , but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; [4] And patience, experience; and experience, hope: [5] And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

One God, One Truth
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope it is ok to join in. Just ran across it today. Very short but means everything

Luke 1:37  For nothing is impossible with God.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matthew 5:9
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Proverbs 28:1
    The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, But the righteous are bold as a lion.

The national Law Enforcement Memorial
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Yep. Post em up. 
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Romans 8:38-39 KJV
    [38] For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, [39] Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Romans 14:8 KJV
    [8] For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

One God, One Truth
  • Options
    1 Corinthians 3:20-23 KJV
    [20] And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain. [21] Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours; [22] Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours; [23] And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

One God, One Truth
  • Options
    1 Corinthians 6:9-11 KJV
    [9] Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, [10] Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. [11] And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

One God, One Truth
  • Options
    1 Corinthians 1:10 KJV
    [10] Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

One God, One Truth
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @roland_7707
    its nice to come onto a place like this and still get a reminder of what's up.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. John 14:6: Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.