Home Ratings & Reviews

Martel's Marvelous Musings on Magnificent Miasmas of Merit

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Did not like this smoke...we got different profiles out of it but to me it was a h uppman nc. It just tasted green too me
    I've had this one for a while, but I could see it leaning on the "green" side, if you're talking vegetable flavors. I can imagine a slightly bitter green bell pepper from the Saison, but it was very mild and not distracting like I've had on some cigars. And this comes from the power of suggestion a little bit. To me it was overshadowed by the other flavors. I'm not going out of my way to smoke this again, but it was good enough to smoke. It was also bad enough to set down without remorse, except for any pocketbook expenditure.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    I know this is a classic brand name and all, but it just makes me want a sandwich.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about a Monte Cristo.

Okay, now that that's out of my system, lets talk cigars. This one is damn good. I'm not sure if the forum will let me say "damn" or not, but this cigar deserves it. It's been sitting in my stash since the end of March/early April this year. There's a lot of complexity of flavor, but it's not overwhelmingly strong in any single flavor. It's rich, and by the end, I feel some nic kick, but nothing about this cigar is ever unpleasant, unbalanced, or overwhelming.

My only complaint is about the size. I need to find a No. 3 (5.5x44 as opposed to this 7x58 Freudian cliche). If the smaller size holds its own, it would become a regular even at over $6 per at box prices. Compared to some other favorites, this appears to be much easier to find as well.

So, in the immortal words of LeVar Burton, "you don't have to take my word for it..."

Cue the many other reviews available from a quick google search.

That said, I'm not giving lots of detail. But that's because I just want to sit back and enjoy this thing to the end.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    I was out for a night on the town with my wife. After being cramped in tiny theater seats NOT designed for someone nearly 6'5" or my "more to love" woman, we decided to walk out the stiffness before piling back in the car. Oh, and BTW, if you get a chance to see Alton Brown's live show...do it. You'll never look at an EZ Bake Oven the same way ever again.

Okay, first, the cigar. Since I was in lounge mode with my wife, I didn't take copious notes or any pictures. Taste was fantastic. Rich, creamy. Some sweetness. Nuts and wood. Complex, a little strength, but always smooth...except when the burn went wonky. And that was this cigar's problem. It doesn't burn. I seem to recall Jim selling or giving away a bunch of these for that reason. Lots of relights and frequent filler burning without the wrapper led to the only off flavors of the evening. If you could get those burn issues figured out, this would be one of my favorite cigars. Oh, and I know these were a limited release, but the guy in the lounge said he had a few boxes left...I think I'll pass for now.

Now, to the lounge. A block from Beale, Havana Mix provides a nice respite from the noise of Hard Rock and the crowds at BB's. It's nice to get a drink with your smoke, but they really need to invest in some taps. The only beer is bottled and not a great selection. I didn't buy any liquor, but they were kind enough to give my wife a really large glass of ice water while she smoked her flavored Tatiana something or other that tasted like coconut (I hope they put the lime in there).

The barmaid (can I say that these days?) needs to learn to speak up over the band and crowd noise. When I asked about beers, I could barely hear what she said. The band was a small jam group that sounded good and wasn't too loud for the venue. Plenty of seating...tables, comfy chairs, sofas, and loveseats. Bar seating. Variety. Some dominoes tables, the required piles of CA and other trade magazines. Restrooms got an okay from the wife.

The humidor is well-stocked. I got some old style Camacho Corojo 10 Anny for under $6 from the clearance shelf. They stock all the usual suspects; although I didn't see any Quesada :-(, and they had a nice boutique selection. Happy to see the San Cristobal selection as I've always liked the Elegencia. They had Leccia White, Black, and Luchador (I had one in hand since I haven't tried it, yet, until I saw the clearance shelf). Some Emilio stuff, of course. The house cigar is a Patel product. Mostly I wanted it for the local band. A Beale Street, guitar band with a secondary band proclaiming, "No black. No White. Just blues." I'll review soon.

The lone staff member in the humi seemed to know his stuff. He warned me about the burn on the Draig but also said he loved them. Claimed to know Gary Griffith well. He wasn't pushy but he was helpful.

The shop does claim to have the mid-South's largest walk-in humidor. I think Madison Tobacco is larger, but not a custom-build humidor job. I also think the Tinder Box on Poplar in East Memphis might be larger. But they don't have food and drink, or Beale.

Oh, and the menu is limited but looks enticing. Cuban sandwiches and some Cuban Bread Appetizers dominated the menu. Saw a couple of guys eating the sandwiches and they looked good.

So, I'll head back to Havana Mix for sure. I'll try on a weeknight sometime, maybe for a cigar event. Overall, it was a good experience. I'm still considering that help wanted sign they had posted, too.

I've smoked several Ave Maria's, but I can't seem to find my reviews...which means either search is broken or I never wrote them down. I've really enjoyed the box-press Lionheart and the Crusader was good, but this is my first St. George. When my wife told me I should stop helping my son with a school project and go smoke instead, I had her help me select from a handful of cigars. Some were brand new to me but sounded good. Others were old favorites like a Tat Miami. She narrowed it down to two because she liked the bands, but picked this one because she liked the size. Now, remember, guys (and ladies), this is my wife you're talking about if you make any comments...

Long story short on this...It's good, but not as good as the other Aves I've smoked. I got a few negative flavors from time to time-vegetable, mostly, with some excess tar-and the draw was tight. It was still enjoyable, but not worth the extra time this one took to smoke.

This came from movie trivia winnings courtesy of FireRob. He wanted some feedback, but sometimes it takes a while. This cigar has been sitting in my humi since mid-April. I smoked one other EZ he sent me, a Tantrum. That one had some interesting notes but was mostly just "meh". I still have high hopes for this one.

ezfhk photo IMG_20141104_201908533_zps905aue3r.jpg

The wrapper on the FHK is dark and oily. It's also very smooth looking, except for one vein, which I can feel-it makes me worry about the burn when I get there. When I touch the cigar, it has some tooth. The lick gives me herbs and spices with a touch of sweet. After cutting the cap, the pre-light draw tastes strongly of chocolate, and it lingers in the mouth.

After a long, gentle toast, this lights up smoothly. The cigar presents some initial strength, but it isn't harsh. The first ash drops after about half an inch. There are the usual San Andres toasty/sweet characteristics to the smoke, but it's well balanced with cedar and earth flavors. The cedar is even more prominent in the environmental smoke than it is on the palate. In fact it's strong enough that I suspect the wife would leave if she were out here with me. Should have saved it for when I really wanted alone time, huh?

ezfhkpremie photo IMG_20141104_203908285_zpsomnx9hkk.jpg

Hmm, this is a s'more. What's a s'more? You're killing me, smalls! This cigar has hints of toasted marshmallow to go with some slight hints of cocoa and malt/grain. I also get some toasted coconut and caramel. Rich. Almost too rich after my roasted chicken and root vegetables followed by a large slice of Boston Cream Pie for dessert. This would have been dessert enough. When I first lit, the burn line on this progressed like a rocket, but the combustion has slowed now that I'm down a full inch. Burn has been razor straight so far.

ezfhkfirst photo IMG_20141104_210050641_zps7rwkyae4.jpg

I hit kind of a muddled middle to this cigar. It's really good, but the flavors profile is mostly stagnant. The variation is in power, which ramps up some. The flavors do vary in intensity, but I don't get much of anything new. Don't get me wrong, it's still very balanced and a really yummy cigar. I grasping at straws to point out something negative. I have to keep my reputation, after all! I kind of lose interest in detecting flavors. Sometimes that's a good thing, but in this case instead of losing myself in the cigar, I almost just lost interest. But then I got into the final third...

ezfhknub photo IMG_20141104_215332394_zpsb6rk9mde.jpg

The final third started a little too strong, but the cocoa really started to shine through. I got a touch of cedar, but that cedar really started to morph into a more aromatic herb flavor. It was really interesting. I nubbed this cigar, it finished so strong. And I'm not talking what usually amounts to a nub for me, which wouldn't count for most. This cigar was nipping at my fingertips and I was still drawing on it, well beyond the picture above. I wanted to find a pipe, a la Bob's thread in C101, to finish it. I'm almost getting a thin-mint quality near the end. Chocolate and mouth tingle freshness. Wow.

Find one and smoke it. Totally different from any cigar I've had. It's balanced and enjoyable. Maybe not my idea of an everyday smoke, nor is it a smoke that I'm going to return to on special occasions over some others, but it's high on my list and probably wins some kind of award for flavor variety.

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Good review man. Sounds interesting.
    One God, One Truth
    Back on page 7 of this thread I reviewed a San Cristobal Elegancia. I smoked another last night and thought it was even better than that first one. Lots of herbal flavors, some citrus-reminiscent of grapefruit, a slight amount of black pepper to add the smallest amount of spice. yummers. Smoked to the nub-even farther down than the Ezra Zion I reviewed last.

Guys, the next time you place a ccom order, add one of these coronas for six bucks. Unless you really don't like connies, you're going to find something new for your rotation. It's from Ashton-Pepin; it's good; it burns perfectly; it draws with just the right resistance. Perfect for a morning smoke, and it was perfect with my wife smoking a perfume-stick on the porch with me last night.

From 2/25/14, I got these in a great "bouquet" from my wife and smoked one ROTT. Lots of lettuce in that review. Not great.

But now, after more than 8 months, this is a really decent smoke. The flavor that was formerly known as lettuce has mellowed into something far more pleasant. I detect a slight metallic twang and some acidity along with a slight vegetable flavor. But it's not bagged lettuce any more. Most interesting about the smoke is the finish. It lingers on the palate and is smooth and buttery. The cigar is slow burning and the line is a little uneven, but it's staying lit all around.

Flavors do go a little South in the last half, and the burn got worse. Great first half cigar, though. I'll probably use the rest as yard gars unless someone really likes them...

Holy freaking wow. This cigar surprised me; it was good. I'd never really heard of it, except for a thread a while back where I think Randy asked about them. A search shows that Alex himself commented on the thread concerning the prowess of the blender.

The Palo Prieto Aguilar Torpedo is packaged to catch your eye with a large gold foil wrap around the foot of the cigar. The band itself is normal sized and mostly blue. It's a good look, if hard to snap a picture with a flash because of the reflection. There is a fairly noticeable seam and one vein on the wrapper. The cigar is milder than I expected from the pre-light draw which I held in my mouth and felt as much as tasted pepper. But throughout the cigar I got very little pepper and not much power. More of a mild-medium stick.

There is some rich creaminess to the flavor profile...almost like a creamy pan sauce you make with a peppered steak that gets seared in the pan and leaves some juices. Saute some earthy mushrooms in there with some butter and add some seasoning, spirits or wine to deglaze and reduce it, and then just a touch of heavy cream. That's the kind of depth of flavor I'm talking here. Nothing was prominent, but it had some layers of complexity. It was not a cigar that varied in flavor, however. That complexity was always muted. Sometimes through the cigar I'd label it "smooth" and other times it would be "muddled".

The single price on the Torp is $7.25, but the box price is under $5, and I know there are specials to be had out there that will bring the price down some more. I am now considering buying a box of these, but probably in the Robusto. The flavors did take a sharp turn for the worse at the end...I didn't nub this one...when it started to burn hot. The burn was even through the smoke and the draw was almost too easy. But for a cigar I'd never heard of I wasn't expecting much. Really it blew me away how satisfying it was to smoke this cigar. I'm not much of one to say "for the price", but we all know that price affects what we buy to some extent. This cigar is a value.

Maybe I should go bigger and not smaller...Gordo is today's daily deal #2. Hmmmm.

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Holy freaking wow. This cigar surprised me; it was good. I'd never really heard of it, except for a thread a while back where I think Randy asked about them. A search shows that Alex himself commented on the thread concerning the prowess of the blender.

The Palo Prieto Aguilar Torpedo is packaged to catch your eye with a large gold foil wrap around the foot of the cigar. The band itself is normal sized and mostly blue. It's a good look, if hard to snap a picture with a flash because of the reflection. There is a fairly noticeable seam and one vein on the wrapper. The cigar is milder than I expected from the pre-light draw which I held in my mouth and felt as much as tasted pepper. But throughout the cigar I got very little pepper and not much power. More of a mild-medium stick.

There is some rich creaminess to the flavor profile...almost like a creamy pan sauce you make with a peppered steak that gets seared in the pan and leaves some juices. Saute some earthy mushrooms in there with some butter and add some seasoning, spirits or wine to deglaze and reduce it, and then just a touch of heavy cream. That's the kind of depth of flavor I'm talking here. Nothing was prominent, but it had some layers of complexity. It was not a cigar that varied in flavor, however. That complexity was always muted. Sometimes through the cigar I'd label it "smooth" and other times it would be "muddled".

The single price on the Torp is $7.25, but the box price is under $5, and I know there are specials to be had out there that will bring the price down some more. I am now considering buying a box of these, but probably in the Robusto. The flavors did take a sharp turn for the worse at the end...I didn't nub this one...when it started to burn hot. The burn was even through the smoke and the draw was almost too easy. But for a cigar I'd never heard of I wasn't expecting much. Really it blew me away how satisfying it was to smoke this cigar. I'm not much of one to say "for the price", but we all know that price affects what we buy to some extent. This cigar is a value.
    Love these as a daily budgetish smoke. Spot on with lack of complexity, but what it does it does well.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Martel:

Love these as a daily budgetish smoke. Spot on with lack of complexity, but what it does it does well.

Have to agree, Randy was kind enough to give me one of these in a big ol fatty. I may have to try one in a smaller RG.
    Earth and chocolate. Yum. Good hour-long smoke.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    one of my favorites on the market right now. i need to pick a few more up. i keep running uot.
    kuzi16:
    Martel:
    one of my favorites on the market right now. i need to pick a few more up. i keep running uot.
    Great maduro profile. Smooth, great construction. I don't have time to write up much more than this, right now. But it's going on my top 10 list.

This corona packs a punch. I prefer the Melanio to the standard V line, but I've not yet seen the corona Melanio and haven't broken down for a single from ccom. That said, I'm actually more familiar with the Melanio line than the standard. There are certainly overlaps in flavor profile. The standard V is stronger but very smooth. The Melanio seems to have a greater variety of flavors.

I really like the V and if I'm looking for a quick powerhouse smoke, I'll turn to the No. 4 (got a great deal on them from ccom a while ago). Compare it to another favorite powerhouse corona, the MOW Puro Authentico, and the V is stronger but smoother, not packing as much of a peppery punch, but hitting more with an overall feel of strength.

If I want a smaller smoke with power, these are my go-to cigars. I prefer the V just a bit more but have to have a full stomach to smoke one. Lots of lingering finish on the palate and a nic kick to last a while.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    That cigar will always have a place in my heart. Even if I don't smoke them often.
    kuzi16:
    That cigar will always have a place in my heart. Even if I don't smoke them often.
    Thanks, Matt. BTW, I hope your wife and you are doing some booming business on the candy front with Christmas around the corner.

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I still have some from the original release and should see how they are coming along. I didn't care for them as much as the normal v line but who knows they might change my mind
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I still have some from the original release and should see how they are coming along. I didn't care for them as much as the normal v line but who knows they might change my mind
    Oliva should just hire me to pimp their stuff. I'd have to sign a non-compete because I do the same with Quesada. But I do like the No. 4. and the Melanio, whichever you're talking about.

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    That reminds me... I should get to my V #4s that I bought 2 years ago. I'll bet they're great now.
    allsmokedup:
    That reminds me... I should get to my V #4s that I bought 2 years ago. I'll bet they're great now.
    Yeah, the one I smoked that sparked this quickie review was pretty fresh. About a month off the truck. The rest of the box is now getting tucked away minus a couple for winter smoking.

I have a friend. We all have one of these. A friend who says he likes cigars but probably says it just to sound cool or macho or just be a good friend. I have another friend who is really interested in cigars but never has a chance to smoke. Both of these guys were over the other night. I pulled out three Perdomo Reserve Champagne Epicures. I knew they had enough flavor for the guy who really tries, and I didn't pay much so the other guy could put his down after an inch and a half and I wouldn't feel bad. Certainly not my cheapest stick in the tupperware, but not an Opus, either.

I have other "friends" who aren't so much friends as they are moochers. Or they know nothing. I want some respectable cigars that won't turn them off from the hobby entirely because, you know, they might come around. But I also don't want to invest too much in their cigars. So today I present to you two budget friendly smokes. Both came out of a clearance grab bag sampler from ccom and so cost me about $2 each. Both of these are a little shy of two months in my humi.

First, the La Perla Habana Classic. Normal box price is $2.50 each, so the grab bag was some savings from that, although I know they can be had cheaper than that. Draw was a little tight. Like most budget cigars, the flavors were static. But they were good flavors. Not once did I get an off taste. The burn was surprisingly good given the tight draw. Smooth finish. I'd smoke this one again no matter what. Could be an every-day cigar for those on a budget. Certainly nothing to feel bad about giving to someone inexperienced. A very approachable cigar.

Second, the La Aurora. Currently out of stock in the Robusto, and only listed as a single or fiver around $3.50-$4 each. Boxes elsewhere place this right around $2. This cigar has a little more pre-light complexity. The wrapper is dry looking, but I smell some pepper and wood. The draw on this cigar is also very tight, which does cause some burn problems. These were both in overflow ziploc storage, and I wonder if that Boveda is cranking out a little higher than 67 in the plastic confines. Wasn't a problem with the Perla, but did cause a relight and a constant effort to draw from the Aurora. This had a little more depth of flavor compared to the Perla, but in the middle of the cigar some of those flavors came across a little harsh. Still, if a guy wants some strength to the flavors in his smoke, nothing horrible. I don't get a good tobacco base from this, it seems more about the supporting flavors that are nuanced in other cigars taking center stage here. There's a reason for the understudy being the understudy. But they can still give a good performance. I didn't finish this one because of the draw issues, just barely breaking into the final third. Still, I'd recommend this as a cigar to give a buddy who may know something about strong flavors (coffee, craft beer, or whiskey connoisseur). The finish on this isn't as smooth as the La Perla, but it's little extra complexity made for a slightly more interesting smoke in some ways.

If someone gave me these not knowing I was an enthusiast, I wouldn't laugh in their face. They're certainly not premipremiprems, but they are far from the worst cigars I've smoked, and I'd take either over some more expensive cigars I've tried, too. Either is worth a shot if you're looking for an affordable every day and certainly either could be kept on hand for guests.

Okay, so it's the house blend. This particular cigar has been in my humi longer than any other. Would hit 2 years this week. I don't know how I managed to hold on to a house blend from my first order so long when I smoke other cigars I'd rather have aged. Back then I didn't know a thing, I guess. Then as I started trying more cigars, this one kept getting pushed aside.

This cigar isn't the prettiest. The wrapper has lots of fine veins, but it is a uniform golden brown in color. The smell is classic tobacco. The cap doesn't taste like much except a slight woodsy flavor. After cutting, the draw is on the firm side, but nothing like those last two budget sticks! After a fireplace match and a half toast, this thing is roaring. The first ash happens at only 3/4 in. but is solid and holds shape. I did set it down kind of hard in the ash tray...oopsies.
    Flavor: probably not like a Cuban (I wouldn't really know).
    Strength: smooth and not very peppery, contra the marketing and other reviews
    finish: long but smooth-really the strength of the cigar so far.

ccomcuban photo IMG_20141226_081508483_zpsyztvfcbr.jpg

There's some coffee notes to this cigar, but that may be because it is paired with a morning coffee. I don't think so, though; it seems they're complimenting each other nicely. The slightest of slight pepper flavor-mild, white pepper, just a hint. There's a nice creamy feel to the cigar's finish. Burn is strong. I had to take a ~10 minute break after the second cup of the day and it was still burning when I returned. No touch-up necessary. Sandalwood or burning cork may be the woodsy flavors I'm getting. Very slight hints of leather. Not a deeply complex cigar, here. Very mild, but quite good.

I can never keep straight on the house blends about their filler. I didn't get a single bit of tobacco in my mouth after one that was hanging on after the cut. Near the end of the second third, I'm noticing some banana or peach notes. It's hard to distinguish. Really it's some slightly sweet fruitiness carried by the cream finish. It's not like an artificial banana flavor (no Laffy Taffy allowed here!) this is a hint of fruit and I think the feel of the cigar made me think banana more than the flavor which is probably more like peach.

How much of this cigar's pleasantness was due to it having some age? I have no idea. I wouldn't expect it to be a prime aging candidate; it's not a super-high quality premium cigar (but it's not a cheapo-shaving-filled-dog-rocket, either). Then again, if aging took the power off this stick, it probably did a favor to the predominately mild flavors, letting them shine through. I would buy this again at the box prices, but probably wouldn't want a box since I just don't smoke that much. Other cigars call my name. However, if I am able to increase my frequency, I might consider this as an everyday if I'm able to get some age on it. Now I want to buy one fresh and see what it's like compared to this one.

This corona with a maduro wrapper was not super attractive. It's wrapped in Brazilian Mata Fina with a 4 country blend on the inside. The appearance was rough and dry, but had some interesting aromas pre-light. After a clip, the draw was just about right.

thejudge photo IMG_20141229_241926639_zpsik6xv795.jpg

Flavors are mostly oak/cedar and spice (red and black pepper) with some creamy sweetness holding it together. There's not much in the way of development over the course of the cigar. Burn was fine. No finish to speak of. What little flavors lingered were not terribly good, so that's a positive in my book.

This was my only cigar of the day. I usually review only when it's my first or the only of the day. I didn't hate this cigar, but if I had one again, I think it's one I'd save for when my palate is already abused. Something about this cigar reminded me of the LFD NAS; while not as nasty, neither was it as high quality, nor was it as pleasurable (oddly enough, considering I would exactly call the NAS a pleasurable smoke). That's just the comparison that came to mind while I smoked, FWIW.

Okay, I don't know how limited these were, but I do know they're limited now since the Camacho rebrand. A local B&M had a few on clearance (60% off sticker) about 3 mos. back. I once tried the normal Corojo and really liked it, I haven't tried the new one, but I'm certainly hoping it's as good. This LE was a fantastic smoke.

Camacho photo IMG_20150103_114408297_HDR_zps6x1bpiye.jpg

The slight box-press slid out of the yellow cello nicely. I'm curious how long these were at the shop, but since the rebrand was a while ago, now, I suspect they've been hanging around a while. I almost want to smoke the cello. Okay, maybe not, but it does have some color. The aroma of the cigar is great. Classic aged tobacco, dry leaves, some spice. I also get the faintest whiff of kosher dill. I know, weird, but it works in the mix. The cap gives a tingle to the lips and tongue, but not too overpowering on spice. After a quick clip, the prelight draw was very loose and the tobacco looks to be a loose roll. But the flavors of the draw are about the same. Some spice, but not overpowering, this is a cross between pepper and cinnamon. Some nice vanilla flavors. Leaves, hay, and very slight wood.

After a long toast, the cigar has one stubborn side that doesn't want to light. It catches eventually, but it did create a burn problem later. I almost touched it up at one point, but it finally caught up on its own with a little care. That was right at the end of the first third and it burned fine ever after.

There is a great development to this cigar. The finish was very short at first, but as it neared the end, it started to leave something behind. And it was yummy. The cinnamon-spice/dry leaves combined with a feel more than a flavor of vanilla cream near the end which lingered nicely. These flavors were fairly consistent throughout, but they varied in intensity, with the middle third being the spiciest, but the final third being the strongest and most intense in feel and power. The whole cigar was very smooth and balanced.

I'm going back to see if he's sold the remaining stock, yet. There were only a handful left in October, but this is a fantastic cigar. It would be great at retail, but those clearance prices are too good to pass up with this properly aged beauty. Fantastic smoke. Too bad I ruined it six hours later with a San Lotano Habano. Nothing against that cigar, but it couldn't compare, at all.

• FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Man oh man, I bought a whole box of these, smoked one, wasn't impressed and bombed out all but a couple. I am going to have to revisit this one. You sure made it sound good.
    FireRob:
    Man oh man, I bought a whole box of these, smoked one, wasn't impressed and bombed out all but a couple. I am going to have to revisit this one. You sure made it sound good.
    I thought it was quite good. Not much more than a "medium" smoke and smooth enough to feel milder than that even. Showed me I'd had some real dog rockets recently.

From my phone. I'll edit line breaks later when I have a real internet connection. Okay, this has a very dry feel and a good earthy tobacco smell. It was firm to the touch and had the slightest of spice and twang on the cap and prelight draw. This cigar screamed "Cameroon" with all its distinctiveness. While I really like these flavors, they didn't develop much from beginning to end. I didn't feel like I was discovering anything new from first puff to last. Good cigar but not great. Draw was right but burn was a little uneven and fast. This stick might beg for slightly higher rh.

This figurado I smoked ROTT. Mistake. Love the size and figurado shape. General Cigar products are probably not going to be my thing, but there are some I've had that are more than just OK. Construction and consistency are the reasons I'd smoke any of their blends for the most part. Oh, and of course marketing. Marketing always gets me. (Is there a sarcasm html tag? Can we get that on a newbie thread, please?) That said, I do want to try some of the Foundry stuff that is under their umbrella. And if they don't mess much with CAO, I'll be okay with that.

This cigar was okay. Burn was good, but flavors were off. I'm going to rest these a while before I try again. The one I tried had a very fresh vegetable and touch of ammonia flavor. The remaining ones are going to wait for next winter, I suppose. That was the plan for the Short Story Hemingways I got along with these off the ccom DD. No way was I going to waste one of those today if it needed rest!

Oh, this did pack a punch of nicotine. Started right after a late lunch at 1:30 and smoked until about 3:30. Now at 4:30, I'm ready for some dinner to calm the stomach a bit.