Options

Watcha reading

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    over the past couple months i've got through:

The Getaway God (Sandman Slim series #6) by Richard Kadrey

Tried to read The Blood Gospel: The Order of the Sanguines Series by James Rollins & Rebecca Cantrell. It was decent but a little too "twilight-ish" for me. It started out at a pretty good pace & some excitement but about 1/3 of the way in started to focus too much on the "love story" so I gave up.

Death Trust (Vin Cooper series #1) by David Rollins.
    I could hardly put this one down .... great read. Fast paced, funny, a little sick and twisted at times, and a conspiracy theory spin on it .... entertaining read.

Knife Edge (Vin Cooper series #2) by David Rollins.
    Just as good as Death Trust.

And American Gunfight: The Plot to Kill Harry Truman--and the Shoot-out That Stopped It by Stephen Hunter & John Bainbridge
    Very interesting.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Books read the past 3-4 months:

6th extinction - james rollins - pretty good entry into the Sigma Force series. if you like the other James rollins stuff you'll like this one

The Maze Runner Series - its ok.....i like to read mindless YA Fiction every so often. (it takes my mind of of real life) and I would put it below Hunger Games but above Divergent

THe Magicians Land - Lev Grossman - NOT YA Fiction. the final installment in The Magnician's series. If you have any interest in magic and fantasy set in modern times I would highly suggest this series. If you liked harry potter, but coulnt relate because it was YA fiction centered around kids, i highly suggest this series. Think of this series as hogwarts for adults combined with what happens to magic users in the modern world after they graduate combined with the chronicles of narnia. Great series and now that they are all out they are an even better read as a full story.

The Wrath of Angles - John Connolly - meh....not the best thing i have read

Reading the I am Number 4 (loric chronicles) books. Pretty good for a Scifi YA series. I suggest it.
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    6th extinction - james rollins - pretty good entry into the Sigma Force series. if you like the other James rollins stuff you'll like this one
    I wanted to give the sigma force series a try but my library doesn't have it (or they were all checked out) .... that's why i took a chance on The Blood Gospel, eck.
    Going to look for it again after I finish up American Gunfight. If they still don't have it I'll probably go with the next in the Vin Cooper series.

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a steampunk genre book that they would allow me to read? The genre looks interesting, but I dont want to buy the book and not like it.
    I would be happy to send you a care package for your cooperation.
    Thank you.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I forget about this thread. But really like it.

Copying Brian, here's my last 6 months.

Currently on Prince Lestat: The Vampire Chronicles. Prior to that was Revival (King's new one), and a bunch by Blake Crouch including The Wayward Pines Trilogy and The Fear Trilogy (all but the last one in the Fear Trilogy. I'll tap that after Prince Lestat.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm reading mostly textbooks and Infinite Jest when I find time.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Been on a bit of a Star Wars EU kick:
    Choices of One
    Outbound Project
    Scoundrels all by Timothy Zahn
    in my queue I have The Witch with No Name and The Undead Pool both by Kim Harrison
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Choices of One
    Outbound Project
    in my queue I have The Witch with No Name and The Undead Pool both by Kim Harrison
    Man, i can't even read the EU anymore......whats the point in reading all those stories when they basically were deleted from any sort of cannon by disney. that was the only think i have disliked about their handling at this point. i understand needing to start fresh if you are going to do 7 8 9, but jesus, to just delete stories like the Thrawn trilogy from the timeline is just crazy to me.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Hayblet:
    Choices of One
    Outbound Project
    Man, i can't even read the EU anymore......whats the point in reading all those stories when they basically were deleted from any sort of cannon by disney. that was the only think i have disliked about their handling at this point. i understand needing to start fresh if you are going to do 7 8 9, but jesus, to just delete stories like the Thrawn trilogy from the timeline is just crazy to me.
    before Disney **** all over Star Wars I had hoped for years and years that the Thrawn trilogy would be the next trilogy, why still read? Because the EU still lives on to me (insert YouTube clip of that kid saying Wrestling was still real to him here)
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Does anyone have a steampunk genre book that they would allow me to read? The genre looks interesting, but I dont want to buy the book and not like it.
    I would be happy to send you a care package for your cooperation.
    Thank you.
    how well supplied is your local library ?
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I usually get on a roll with one author then another. Koontz ...Odd Apocalypse, Deeply Odd, Saint Odd. King...Mr Mercedes, 11/22/63. Revival. Hill...Heart Shaped Box, NOS4A2, Horns. Also, No Country For Old Men, and Lehane... Live By Night and Mystic River. All Since September
  • Options
    halfway thru and having trouble putting it down. revival photo output_zpsmifua62j.jpg

• Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    halfway thru and having trouble putting it down. revival photo output_zpsmifua62j.jpg
    A most excellent read Vance. Totally enjoyed that. Got my Finders Keepers on pre-order...
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Infinite Jest, been reading that forever now.
  • Options
    Funny this was currently bumped, i was coming here to rave about a book.

The Martian by Andy Weir

A comical tale in the not too distant future about an astronaut who is stranded on Mars after a dust storm injured him and his crew had to take off assuming he was dead. The plot revolves around his fight to stay alive and eventually the US's plans to get him back once they see he is alive.

what makes this book different from various other books in this theme is the comedy of the main character and the extreme attention to detail when it comes to the technical aspects of the science behind the story.

This was the kind of book that i didn't put down and finished it in just under 2 days. I HIGHLY recommend it.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    photo 20150403_111628_8_bestshot_zpseahruipj.png

photo 20150403_124129_4_bestshot_zpsficsbjb7.png
    I love me some Chuck Klosterman! His first novel was awesome. This one is very interesting to say the least.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm favoring audio books via cell phone and blue tooth earbuds, these days. Latest is Prehistory. Essentially a history of the science of anthropology. Amazing how swiftly a relatively infant speculative science morphs as new discoveries are made. Completely unlike applied sciences.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Just picked up:
    "A Great Aridness: Climate Change and the Future of the American Southwest"
    by William deBuys

Looking forward to starting it this weekend

• Options
    So you guys who like to read ,so do i

• Options
    edited September 2015

!

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those look great Vance. I'm in the process of stuffing a bag for you of bands. When I get enough I'll send em to you.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    is this the thread you were looking for @SecretSquirrel