Home Ratings & Reviews

Martel's Marvelous Musings on Magnificent Miasmas of Merit

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Gosh, it's been so long and I can't find pics. I don't know if it was an outie or an innie, but I do remember it seemed like I smoked it slowly!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    SleevePlz:
    Also, thanks for the reviews! Any particular cigars you are looking to review in the future that your avid readers could help out with.....

Notice, I didn't respond to this. You're welcome for the reviews, I enjoy doing them (especially if I enjoy the cigar even a little). I'm ignoring your last sentence though. I plead "nolo roomendere".
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    This was a gift from Jason (blutatto). Thanks to a fine BOTL.

Great appearance. What first appears to be a band with smudgy ink in the background is actually the intent. The outline of the angel Michael with a sword is understated, but it pops with his wings outlined in gold.

amband photo IMG_20140729_195554015_zpsgenazz4v.jpg

The wrapper itself shows a few seams, but they are smooth. There is lots of varied coloration to the wrapper, but it looks like marble. The pre-light aroma is heavy on spice: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. It also has some hints at stone fruit, like sweet Rainier Cherries and pluots. The cap has sweet and spice to it.

ampre photo IMG_20140729_195605243_zpsfpytycqm.jpg

The wrapper is slow to light. It takes two fireplace matches to get the whole foot to light with a slow toast. It still has quite a bit of initial kick, almost harsh, but with the pre-light qualities I'm hoping this develops well.

The first third has a mild spiciness. Some roasted nut-but spiced nuts. Like those roasted German nuts from the kiosk at the mall, but not so sweet. There is a slight creamy finish. The retro is very similar to the palate, only a little stronger.

The second third, the pepper-spice increases but leather starts to dominate over it. The other spice qualities are there to a lesser extent, and the nuttiness is fading into the background. The finish is not quite as pleasant, with a lingering harsh pepper instead of a slowly fading cream feel that I got during the first third. I'm also starting to feel a lot more nicotine and overall body to the smoke as I'm just past the midway point. This middle third is a power bomb for me-probably not as powerful as a few I've smoked, but more than I typically enjoy. The complexity of flavors keeps me coming back, though.

ammidpoint photo IMG_20140729_210423518_zpsxqvngkty.jpg

The final third tails off in intensity, again. This is a good thing for me; it finishes nicely. A little of that fruit shows through with a mostly white pepper flavor dominating. I did need to have one relight at the start of this third. The wrapper wouldn't burn, but I still had a nice glow. I tried not to apply any more flame, but it started to invert on me so I had to resort to it. I wanted to nub this, but it started to make my throat pucker, so I set it down.

amfinish photo IMG_20140729_212326101_zpsr9hu18u5.jpg

Final thoughts: I might need to make a trip to Sacramento to buy more of these things. Really a fantastic smoke. It wouldn't be an everyday for me because it had more power than I like most of the time. In some ways it reminds me of my go-to Oliva V Melanio, but it's nowhere near as pretty, nor is it as consistent. I like the complexity, and while it skirted on harsh a couple of times, it was never over that edge. I feel it in my head just a little bit, and the pepper, leather, and cream are lingering even now, in a pleasant mix. On a surprisingly comfortable Memphis in July night, this was perfect (if not for the skeeters). Now, I'm going to go kiss my wife and see what she thinks!

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds interesting.
    Doesn't seem to be much info on it.
    Is it only available through them?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Tony, I'm not sure, but from what Jason said it's available to a few shops near him. For some reason when I first researched it, I thought they were based in Texas, but from the website they're clearly a NoCal operation. Jason's in Sacramento so that makes sense. This and an EZ are my first really limited availability cigars; this blew the EZ I tried out of the water. Not sure what the price point is. I know there are a few other reviews out there, but the Arcangel site and facebook pages haven't been updated in a while. It looks like they were at last year's IPCPR. I wonder if any of our attendees could say whether or not they were there this year?

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great write up, thanks Eric.
    This sounds like a very nice smoke.

Would love to try one of these if I ever come across them. I tried searching the web, but like you and Tony couldn't find much info about them.

And I gotta ask.....
    Martel:
    Now, I'm going to go kiss my wife and see what she thinks!
    What did she think? LOL

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    Great write up, thanks Eric.
    This sounds like a very nice smoke.

Would love to try one of these if I ever come across them. I tried searching the web, but like you and Tony couldn't find much info about them.

And I gotta ask.....
    Martel:
    Now, I'm going to go kiss my wife and see what she thinks!
    What did she think? LOL

Well, since I took off all my smoky clothes before I kissed her, she was quite happy about the "cigar".

*rimshot*

Seriously, she was just fine with it. No negatives about the flavor or lingering aroma. She's hard to pinpoint, though. I though for sure this one was going to be a "don't kiss me" kind of cigar.

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Not sure of availability, but these were blended by Glen Case of Kristoff. I met the owner last year at the show, very nice guy, very knowledgeable. I interviewed him as well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzed2PON9F0
    Dustin for the win. Thanks, man.

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Yep, that's my man Rev. Cool dude very down to earth. Price point is $8 per. Not bad for a B&M, where almost everything is over $10. His shop is called Perfecto Lounge in Roseville. Not sure if he could ship them out, but if anyone wants to try one PM me and I'll drive up there.
    blutattoo:
    Yep, that's my man Rev. Cool dude very down to earth. Price point is $8 per. Not bad for a B&M, where almost everything is over $10. His shop is called Perfecto Lounge in Roseville. Not sure if he could ship them out, but if anyone wants to try one PM me and I'll drive up there.
    Tell them I enjoyed their stick very much.

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I will! Great review as always!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Not sure of availability, but these were blended by Glen Case of Kristoff. I met the owner last year at the show, very nice guy, very knowledgeable. I interviewed him as well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzed2PON9F0
    I watched it, just to see Dustin's sexy @$$ beard.
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    I watched it, just to see Dustin's sexy @$$ beard.
    Best reason for the video to exist!

I tried this cigar in light of recent announcements concerning the brand. Smooth, creamy, toasted nuts. Loved it. Sorry that it'll probably get ruined.

That is all.

I haven't been smoking much lately. Mississippi summers suck for sitting on the back porch even though it's been pretty mild around here. I've also been very busy, but I'm taking a much needed late afternoon break for myself after going to get my license plates renewed this afternoon. I've selected the Casa Magna D. Magnus II Optimus, a 5.5x52 box press from Plasencia and Quesada in a combined effort.

To start, this cigar just looks nice. The double band has a classy look with gold lettering on red and black fields. There's some mustard yellow and red-brown thrown in for good measure. The red-brown is a narrow stripe alternating with black in the background of everything. Together, these blend for an effect from a slight distance of a rich brown that almost matches the wrapper on the cigar itself.

The wrapper is deep brown with a few hints of near-black and a slight red tinge. It has a few veins, but only one small one can be felt. There's an oily sheen to the wrapper, and its aroma is rich and slightly sweet. It has a small pigtail cap. After a straight cut to take off the pigtail, the pre-light draw is sweet and citrus with black pepper.

After a half inch, I'm already experiencing some box-press burn issues. It doesn't want to burn evenly, and I'm having trouble finding a sweet-spot on the draw rate. Some of this may be due to me not smoking for a while. It may also be that the cigar could have stood some dry-boxing. But since I'm never to blame for anything, I'm going with the problem being nothing but the box-press. The cigar is true to the pre-light draw, with a lot of pepper but also some sweetness. There's a tang of citrus, too, but not really a flavor of citrus. The cigar is rich and strong. The ash is flaky and two-toned between a dark black and a near-white. It doesn't want to hold on solidly.

Retro just nearly killed me hang on...

Wow, I'm back with watery eyes. That was a punch in the face. I've never had a retro like that before, not even on LFD DL or Airbender. I'll be keeping this one in the mouth from here on out. Anyone want to purchase a slightly used nose-hair trimmer? I don't think I'll ever need to use mine again.

And now, this cigar will always be remembered as the one I smoked when my favorite lawn chair met it's demise. At least I have catlike reflexes and avoided a tumble when I heard it cracking. I wish I had video of that in fact, I would be a youtube hit!

In the middle third, things start to be less distinct as far as flavors go. While individual flavors aren't as easy to discern, they are also more mellow. Right at the halfway point, the burn finally evens out and I have a straight ash and nice burn line.

Okay, I liked the flavor profile of this cigar, but burn issues killed it for me. Once I was in the final third, they started again. There's a couple of other vitola that I'll have to check out...not box press. I really like the feel of box pressed cigars, but this one just burned horribly. At a faster rate, it was harsh, but at a slow rate it tunneled and canoed and went out. It smokes like a lot of Quesada cigars as far as flavor goes; reminded me of the Heisenberg in some ways, which I love. Maybe this was just a bum stick; I'd try one again, but it is a little stronger than I'd like after taking a near 3-month break with only a couple of small cigars and connecticuts thrown in.

All your Quesada are belong to us. Did you do a Heisenberg review here?
    Rain:
    All your Quesada are belong to us. Did you do a Heisenberg review here?
    No, I have my notes on the smoke, somewhere...I've looked for them before and can't find them. I've smoked a handful of the tiny petites or whatever and love them. I'm becoming a pretty big Quesada fan, at least as far as flavor profile goes. He hits the spot for me. Still too many I haven't tried. They're not a huge in-stock brand around here and shipping is too much to purchase just a couple here and there from Ccom.

I've only had the Tributo and Oktoberfest but really liked both. Might smoke a 40th anny I have today
    Rain:
    I've only had the Tributo and Oktoberfest but really liked both. Might smoke a 40th anny I have today
    Oktoberfest is on my list. I should smoke one in the next couple of days if I can find one around here...seems appropriate. I've got a couple of beers to go with it.

I'm not really sure what to consider Quesada as I develop some fanboydom. Does Regius count? I've loved those. Fonseca? I'm pretty sure they count.

I want to try and track down some of their HTF LEs. The Q D'etat was a CRA benefit cigar. I tried a Tres Reynas once and want to try it again. I've almost clicked on a Fonseca 120th multiple times. Quesada 35th would have some nice age on it, now. There's a Quesada Jalapa that has one vitola still available here.

Man, this just shows me that I'll never get to smoke everything that's out there.

Send me the addy and I'll get a few Oktoberfests out
    Rain:
    Send me the addy and I'll get a few Oktoberfests out
    Not necessary, but thanks. I've had to cut back on any sending out of cigars, so I feel bad taking them from others. I was never a huge sender, anyway, but now I just can't manage.

I know you can find my addy if you want to (like on a return address from the Unforgiven disc), but we're cool, man.

My computer died, and with it my borkodex. I'm not asking for your addy because I want cigars back....send it to me meow
    bring the rain photo IMG_20141003_165725860_zpsegp9etak.jpg

Thanks, Randy! You're an awesome bro. I know I should let these rest after their journey, but I think I'll be smoking one of the Quesada's soon, anyway.

Enjoy...age one, smoke one!
    What a great evening. It was a little warmer this weekend, but since it wasn't as windy and my wife doesn't have to work tomorrow, we decided to light up a fire in the fire pit.

fire photo IMG_20141012_190036364_zpspnyfbazi.jpg

We roasted hot dogs and brats (I know, I had to pierce them, so it wasn't ideal brat cooking) and made s'mores. I had an Abita Turbodog with my food and then sat around watching the kids play with some sparklers and snap pops we had sitting around.

sparkler photo IMG_20141012_191854949_zpsru9avht3.jpg

As the fire was slowly dying...scratch that, this isn't a Christmas song. My wife clearly told me, "I'm not staying up to watch this fire die all the way, so you should go get a cigar to smoke before I go inside." Since I'm on a Quesada kick, I went straight to my Regius White that I've had sitting around for about four months tantalizing me.

r white photo IMG_20141012_193051151_zpsmpihe5p8.jpg

Pre-light, the cigar had a great but nondescript aroma. The wrapper is a rich brown with slight mottling but is mostly uniform. The cap tasted spicy and sweet. I'm talking cayenne pepper spice but with a touch of sweet. After a quick circumcision of the cap, the cold draw had a flavor of hay and leather with just a touch of spice. I took a long time toasting this beauty. It burned perfectly from the get-go and had great flavors from the very start.

r white inch photo IMG_20141012_195335062_zpsdb3wa7qh.jpg

The first third was a really pleasant smoke. It was complex enough to keep me really interested, but no single flavor dominated. The draw and the burn were perfect.

Into the second third, the flavor took on some tang. The spice was present but much tamer than I initially expected it to be. There were flavors of hay and leather and a feel of richness. Construction; as evidenced by draw, burn, and ash; was impeccable.

r white third photo IMG_20141012_200536660_zps8i8yr5n6.jpg

The ash held on for another 3/4 inch beyond this photo, easy. Shortly after the ash fell, there was an unpleasant flavor rooted in a strengthening of the sour tang to the point of being harsh. But, as my smoking slowed again as the burn normalized, this flavor dissipated. The cigar was less enjoyable after this point but remained strong in feel and pleasant if nondescript in flavor. Burn remained good throughout.

r white nub photo IMG_20141012_203952175_zpsbfhfwto4.jpg

I eventually smoked this down well past the point of this last picture. I started to feel some warmth on my fingers and finished it then. Good smoke.

The retro on the Regius White was consistent throughout, reminding me of hay/mown grass and white pepper with a remarkably smooth feel as far as retros go. The burn was flawless from beginning to end and was a great way to cap off a good day and great evening. I was left wanting more. I'd certainly smoke one of these again. And again. I could wish that there would be something more distinctive about this smoke, but maybe that's a comment on a wood fire, salty food with lots of strong condiments, and a decently strong and flavorful beer that was probably lingering on my palate, even though the smoke came probably an hour after I finished eating. In the end, I enjoyed it. While not the knock-my-socks off wonder of flavor I hoped for, the Regius White certainly gets near-perfect marks in the experience category. I could enjoy these frequently and regularly.

Good. Thanks, Randy!

I left my phone at work with all the pictures, so I'll wait until I get those to upload to finish the notes, too. Just wanted to let you know I've tried one and really liked it. Not my favorite Quesada, but great construction and good flavors.

I like that except for the Torpedo, the RG on the Saison was "capped" at 50. So from Robusto to Toro to Churchill you only add length. I know Oliva does this on most blends, even when they offer more vitolas. I'm sure other cigars are the same way, but it seems like many fiddle with the rg and the length. Oftentimes, I get sized out of longer smokes because I won't go much over a 52 for the most part unless it's a torp or special occasion. I'll go skinny and small on occasion, too. But most of my smokes are Robusto with a few Toro thrown in. In fact, I think I'm out of Coronas...winter coming must rectify.

Random ramble over. I don't have my phone with to take pics, so none on this post.

The Saison is lower on the end of the Oliva price spectrum. MSRP for a single is still not exactly budget friendly, but I know these come packaged in all sorts of deals. This one was sent to me (thanks, whoever it was, I'll have to go look that up). Recent Quesada kick aside, Oliva is one of my go-to brands. The Melanio is one of my favs and is the prettiest cigar around. I like the CT Reserve with a cuppa Joe on a cool morning. Heck, O, G, V, MBIII are all at least decent and most are consistent stick to stick, which I appreciate. I have some hopes for the Saison, even though I've seen some less than stellar reviews.

Me smell cinnamon. Good fall odor.

There's a good color to this cigar, but the wrapper seems to lack oils. There's a slight sheen to it, but it just has a dull look overall. There's some pepper on the cap and the pre-light.

In the first third, the only real note is of pepper, but not super strong pepper. I start to get cedar in the second third. The ash is very weak, but the burn is even.

The first third of this cigar went fast. The second third, the burn rate slowed way down. Draw is consistent up to this point, just about right. Seems to be requiring a bit more force to draw as I smoke it down, though.

Well, youth football calls. I should have gone for the Robusto, because I won't finish this one after 90 minutes. I haven't even made it to the final third, which I feel bad about while reviewing, but hey, it was a nice afternoon with a fairly enjoyable if innocuous cigar.

I won't go out of my way to smoke these like with some other blends from Oliva. It's less than stellar in complexity and flavors. It's medium strength relies on pepper, leather, and cedar in nearly unwavering combination, and not much else. There's some cinnamon aroma but that's about it.

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Did not like this smoke...we got different profiles out of it but to me it was a h uppman nc. It just tasted green too me
    Money can't buy taste