Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Sake... Who has had it?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Im going to a Japanese restaurant tomorrow night and I wanna get some Sake. I have never had any but am looking forward to trying it. Suggestions or your thoughts on it?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Get it warm and take it easy lol. Cold is a bit like ethanol.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    That was gonna be my next question! lol they have options for hot or cold. So I think ill get it hot. :)
  • Options
    ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    Warm for sure. Has more of kick then you would expect.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it cold personally. Was never one for warm booze.
  • Options
    I think I will have to make sure my wife drives. lol I always drive us out to dinner and never get to drink mostly cause I don't want her driving my mustang. LOL!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it hot, with green tea on the side. Sip slowly, great compliment to good sushi.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Here's the deal: their house sake is utter ****. I don't care where you're going, that's true. So you get that hot, because that's how you drink the cheap stuff because it hides the fact that, yes, it tastes like ethanol. Same reason you mix the well whisky in Coke. If you get better stuff, though, drink it cold. It's really quite an amazing spirit if you get into it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Well said, Ken. People always have the misconception that good Sake is served warm or hot. Cheap Sake is served warm or hot. Think back to cold nights in Japan. What's going to warm you up? A nice hot cup of Sake. Good stuff is ALWAYS served chilled. There's also a big range in Sake from sweet to dry, more fruit driven to more earth driven and nutty. Once you've tried a few quality ones side-by-side, it's tough to not like the stuff.

Also, typically called rice-wine but it has more in common with beer in the brewing process. The rice is polished to remove the outer layers, then steeped in hot water (much like the grains in the brewing process) to extract the carbohydrates. Sugar + yeast = EtOH + CO2.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Well said, Ken. People always have the misconception that good Sake is served warm or hot. Cheap Sake is served warm or hot. Think back to cold nights in Japan. What's going to warm you up? A nice hot cup of Sake. Good stuff is ALWAYS served chilled. There's also a big range in Sake from sweet to dry, more fruit driven to more earth driven and nutty. Once you've tried a few quality ones side-by-side, it's tough to not like the stuff.

Also, typically called rice-wine but it has more in common with beer in the brewing process. The rice is polished to remove the outer layers, then steeped in hot water (much like the grains in the brewing process) to extract the carbohydrates. Sugar + yeast = EtOH + CO2.
    Well now you just made me want to brew a sake, just so I can add hops to it! LoL

Important to note that the polishing step is typically what separates low from high quality. The more polished, the more expensive, typically.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Brew up some Sake and hook a brotha up! lol
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More than my fair share!! Don't care for it
  • Options
    Verdict... Quite enjoyed my hot sake. :)
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I had some. Tried a flight of several kinds. Liked some a lot. Others were cough syrup.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sushi and Saki. Use to be once a week indulgence, but I would always have a non-drinker as a guest, and driver. Even went so far as to learn the Saki rituals/protocols for enjoying it at home. Had some really beautiful Saki cloisonne vessels and cups.