Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Do you even camp, Bro? Travel trailer/RV

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    Thanks Walt and Rob. I love my truck and specifically bought it used for the Allison transmission. It's an '02 but pulls all day long. I only have about 120k miles on it so I'm optimistic how long I can keep it.

that was a good reason to buy, James. I bought my '02 Chevy Silverado for the same reason - the tranny (among other things). Not an Allison, but the original owner ordered it especially to pull a 3-car trailer. His business plan failed but I ended up with a pretty fine tow vehicle. It's got 95k on it right now and I love it. We leave tomorrow morning with our trailer headed for 5 more days on the beach.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    I got my financing in order but now that this is for real, it's getting a bit overwhelming... Been doing my "research" for over a year and lots and lots of it the last month or so, but now that we know we are actually getting one in the next week to five months we are changing out minds about what we want every five minutes.

Once we found out just how much the bank is willing to let us spend that opened up a whole lot of options we hadn't considered before. Keep trying to real us back in and remind out selfs how last week would would have been happy with spending a lot less on "x" trailer and now were looking at "$x$" trailer. Obviously we know less is better but we also want to try and get one to grow with the kids and not have to do it over once they hit teen and young teen years. (and to think last year all we wanted was a decent used pop up!)

Ok back to the RV dealer sites, I don't have time to waste here with all you ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I know the feeling bro so hang in there. The loans should be at least 12 years so that's some comfort. Also, try to go with a solid dealer as both of mine went out of business. Start looking for good repair shops now so you know where to go. These are houses on wheels and things will break, even on brand new rigs. Just be patient and you can do some things yourself, others are best left to pros depending in your skill level.

you are doing it right and I recommend you bring the whole family with you once you have narrowed your list of rigs down. It's so easy to tell yourself it will be fine with the kids (space, layout,etc.) if they aren't there but it will change quick once they are there. I hope that made sense. Also, you will need to worry about weight as you add dishes, clothes, chairs for outside, ground cover, etc. keep us updated on the progress and ask away. You might not remember everything on your walk through but we divied it up that she took inside and I took outside. Then we compared notes so either of us could do anything. I'm excited for you, it's an awesome purchase and family fun time.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    I got my financing in order but now that this is for real, it's getting a bit overwhelming... Been doing my "research" for over a year and lots and lots of it the last month or so, but now that we know we are actually getting one in the next week to five months we are changing out minds about what we want every five minutes.

Once we found out just how much the bank is willing to let us spend that opened up a whole lot of options we hadn't considered before. Keep trying to real us back in and remind out selfs how last week would would have been happy with spending a lot less on "x" trailer and now were looking at "$x$" trailer. Obviously we know less is better but we also want to try and get one to grow with the kids and not have to do it over once they hit teen and young teen years. (and to think last year all we wanted was a decent used pop up!)

Ok back to the RV dealer sites, I don't have time to waste here with all you ;-)
    haha... yep. Once we realized we *could* spend up to $45k and still have less than a $300/month note, we started eyeballing the Lance 2285 and 2295. I keep telling myself I'm sticking with the 1995. We're empty nesters... so it's just us. The 1995 would be perfect. Not to mention a ~ $200/month note. All the amenities we need are in the 1995. I keep telling myself the others are just 1000 more pounds.

Keep us posted! Exciting stuff here...
  • Options
    Update from the RV show we went to in Dallas.

It was a bust! Looked at lots and found several "we liked" but just nothing that screamed "the one". Going to drive all the way up to Denton (45 mins to an hour) and look at one we were told would be at the show but somehow it got left behind and didn't make it to Dallas. If that don't work not sure what our plan is next.
  • Options
    FireRob:
    Update from the RV show we went to in Dallas.

It was a bust! Looked at lots and found several "we liked" but just nothing that screamed "the one". Going to drive all the way up to Denton (45 mins to an hour) and look at one we were told would be at the show but somehow it got left behind and didn't make it to Dallas. If that don't work not sure what our plan is next.
    You could come shop at our Camping World. I'll put you up for the night. Might even feed you a Camacho and bourbon.
  • Options
    Put a deposit on this tonight. Got to iron out the details with the credit union over the phone tomorrow and should be able to tow it home next Friday. It's a 2015 Crossroads Longhorn 31SB

photo IMG_3662.jpg

Photobucket is not cooperating so I'll try to post more pics if I can
  • Options
    photo IMG_7473.jpg

photo IMG_9858.jpg.

photo IMG_1264.jpg
  • Options
    We really like the out door kitchen and that it also has a door directly to the bathroom from out side so the kids won't have to tromp through the whole trailer to use it
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Looks great. When we get back from Montana I would love to come take a look (and herf)
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Much nicer than the tent I'm using this weekend, that's for sure! But the tent is nice enough for me and my son to have a good weekend together.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    Put a deposit on this tonight. Got to iron out the details with the credit union over the phone tomorrow and should be able to tow it home next Friday. It's a 2015 Crossroads Longhorn 31SB

photo IMG_3662.jpg

Photobucket is not cooperating so I'll try to post more pics if I can

Where do I sleep when I come to visit?

Very nice Rob. Good luck
  • Options
    Awesome Rob! Congratulations. And don't forget to check out the financing through the good sams thingy. They offer interest rates in the 4s for 25-50k loans. All mine around here wont go less than 9% on a recreational loan with excellent credit. Not sure how your area is. That includes USAA. Basturds.
  • Options
    Martel:
    Much nicer than the tent I'm using this weekend, that's for sure! But the tent is nice enough for me and my son to have a good weekend together.
    That's what counts, brother.
  • Options
    WaltBasil:
    Martel:
    Agreed, when my kiddos are old enough we will be taking many trips with out the trailer.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    WaltBasil:
    Martel:
    Agreed, when my kiddos are old enough we will be taking many trips with out the trailer.

Thanks guys. We had a great time, btw. I'm sore as anything after my air pump broke, so no air mattress. I had a ridgerest, but let my son use it while I just slept on the folded over air mattress that I couldn't get pumped. We went canoeing, played one of the craziest disc golf courses I've ever played, lit some fires, and ate really well. Nothing better than camping food. You're so hungry, anything will be 5-star.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Picked up the trailer yesterday. Took it to a semi local RV park and spent the night testing everything out. Kids and the wife all approve and we had a good time and can't wait to take it out again.
  • Options
    FireRob:
    Picked up the trailer yesterday. Took it to a semi local RV park and spent the night testing everything out. Kids and the wife all approve and we had a good time and can't wait to take it out again.
    oh man, that's great news and I'm glad to hear you all had fun. Your kids will remember these camping trips forever. Congrats on your purchase.
  • Options
    BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    Think this is going to be our last camp trip of the year. It's getting cold at night, 35 degrees.
  • Options
    Brianak:
    Think this is going to be our last camp trip of the year. It's getting cold at night, 35 degrees.
    Lol, we had both air conditioners running! LOVE the licence plate!!! Very funny, but I even after a nice night inside a cool AC'ed trailer with a not so comfortable bed (but better then the ground with a rock in your back) I still love to tent camp.
  • Options
    This is it when I first brought it home

photo IMG_0232.jpg

This is a terribly bad pic of it at the RV park.

photo IMG_7744.jpg

Don't know why the Twins were so happy to be by these trees but what ever makes em happy

photo IMG_8952.jpg

And the Girl who had to wear one of her brothers shirts climbing on some rocks

photo IMG_7456.jpg
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Great looking kids. Looks like they are having a great time. Rig looks very cool. You need a road trip to Montana !
  • Options
    Nice Rob. Gonna have a lot of great memories in that place! Can't wait until we get ours. Looks like March-April time frame.
  • Options
    Walt, keep us posted on your purchase and buying process.
  • Options
    Brian, I love that license plate and wish I had been clever enough to do something similar.

That's a nice campground Rob. I see our girls are the same - banged up knees and having the time of her life. Congrats on the twins as well.
  • Options
    Yep that girl has no fear and is a dare devil!

Did a check on the GoodSam site and it is one of 16 camp grounds in Texas that had a 10 star rating and is very close to home and made for a good shake down camp. We were impressed with the place and can see us going back there when we only have time for a quick one night trip.
  • Options
    HarleybowHarleybow Posts: 13
    I lived in a 5th wheel for 10 years for my job, traveled so it was easier to get a camper then stay in a motel. image This is my plan now. Add a ac/heating unit and now I can take anything I would like with me.
  • Options
    Update...

So we were on schedule to purchase the Thor Four Seasons 22E this July. Then, my in-laws find out we are buying. They have an old 1989 Fleetwood Tioga 24 footer that they are tired of taking care of. Offer to us at well under blue book. What we were planning on using as a down payment on the Four Seasons will outright purchase this and have some left over. When we end up trading it in, we'll get more than double what we paid. Can't turn that down. Only has 25k miles on it. They really only used it locally. We know it's been taken care of. Gives us a chance to try the RV experience on the cheap before committing to the real deal. They'll deliver it to us in March. Can't wait!

Standard amenities: double hole kitchen sink, 4-burner stove, oven, microwave, big fridge/freezer, bathroom, shower/tub, bathroom sink, queen bed, wardrobe, lounge chair, dining booth, furnace, rooftop air, 2.8k genny built in.
  • Options
    Dang Walt, sounds like a heck of a way to jump in the RV world and too good of a deal to say no to. Still want to see some pictures! I always enjoying seeing how each one is layed out and where they put what inside a trailer to make it all come together to make it all work.

Update for me- we haven't taken it out since our first trip. Had a lot of great weather that would have been nice to be out in, but work and that me and the wife were never off at the same time, along with sick kiddos and all the holiday hoopla we just haven't been able to do anything with it. I did get a good holiday deal on a 32" tv and just the other day mounted it in the trailer. I even enjoyed the fruits of my labor for half of the Hangover movie before the wife called me in the house to feed the kids dinner...
  • Options
    I'll definitely get some pics up soon.