Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Job Boards

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
As part of my transition out of the Army, I kind of need to find a job. I've made a linkedin account, but my councilor highly recommended joining a job board in order to search for jobs. Which ones do you recommend and why?

Comments

• Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Whats a job board? Is that like Monster.Com and careerbuilder.com? Lots of military dudes here. I was in the USMC. But anyway, I dont know which one is good. I never got called on any of those ****. What was your MOS?
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    I am your doctor!!!! Well, not YOUR doctor. Actually...not anybody's doctor. I'm a medic. Yeah, I'm talking stuff like monster.com. I actually saw today that 90% of hiring is done on a referral basis, so I might not even use a job board.
  • Options
    ^^^ Cool!! Love Medics. Did you ever have to put on a tourniquet? Scary *** dude. But, thanks for your service. And good luck on the job search. But I guess it doesn't hurt to put your resume on a job board. If they call you they call you. I just went back to school when I got out.
  • Options
    If it changes you opinion, I was also an interrogator.I'll be going to school as well, but with a wife, kids and debt I'm gonna have to work too!
  • Options
    "For 50 points, see if you can guess his specialty." Arnold, "Oral Hygiene?" image
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I am your doctor!!!! Well, not YOUR doctor. Actually...not anybody's doctor. I'm a medic. Yeah, I'm talking stuff like monster.com. I actually saw today that 90% of hiring is done on a referral basis, so I might not even use a job board.
    This. Worth a shot, but you have to figure for a lot of companies that they don't look at resumes off of job boards. There are automatic document readers that search for the correct qualifications, now. No exceptions made. They get hundreds upon hundreds of online applicants, and it gets really hard to sift through them. I used to do hiring for a movie theater at the store level. We'd get forwarded online applications for people who selected our location. We'd get 20-30 new apps each week for minimum wage positions. I can't imagine what the volume is like for a major company hiring at a living wage.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    He didn't recommend a job board or 2 for you? You may have better luck looking at the websites of the places you want to apply. Usually they have current positions available, see if they interest you and just send them a resume.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Indeed.com is good. It searches all(most) other job sites and sites of large companies etc.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    You're looking for an EMT slot, right? If there is an national association or union they typically have pretty good job announcements and often have boards to get to know others across the country.
  • Options
    perkinke:
    You're looking for an EMT slot, right? If there is an national association or union they typically have pretty good job announcements and often have boards to get to know others across the country.
    Yeah, there is the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. Mouth full, but I'm a member so I will look in to this. Thanks for a great idea!
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Do what the others recommend about finding trade associations. Creating a Linkedin profile is also a great idea. Make sure you emphasize your military service--that's a huge thing for companies that are looking through LI for veterans to hire. But beyond that, try joining LI groups that reflect your career goals--there are a number of them and they're often a good place to find jobs or to network with other people who are in the profession. You might also want to join the many LI groups for ex-military personnel--another great resource for making contacts and posting your interest in a specific role and asking for assistance.

However, forget Monster.com and other boards you register on. These boards are nearly totally useless. The jobs posted by employers are nearly always filled by the time they're posted and most companies use them to fulfill their requirements to appear to have an "open job search" period. Indeed does collect jobs from many sites, but, again, you're just plugging and submitting to some anonymous corporate entity, which usually generates zero results unless you're in a high-demand job.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    One other thing you might look for is whether the school you're going to has a veteran's services office. Our local university is just now getting one up and running and one of the goals for the office is to help vet's find jobs during school and after graduation.
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been found on the LinkedIn!
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    I do a lot of work with Amazon and they are always looking. Wanna move here? I may be able to help. Had a job lined up for Brian but that chump passed on it! LOL
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably totally off based, but most states have govt listings.
    Our state has difficulty getting "qualified" applicants for specialized fields.
    Engineering, medical and mechanical are 3 fields that they often have to extend the application deadlines, because they don't get enough qualified applicants.

I know some towns have private ambulance/medix services, but most the towns around me, the Fire/medix dept is city run, so you might check jobs on the local levels.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.