Home General Discussion

Would You Rather...

ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
So DZR's "Grumpy Old BOTLs" thread :) reminded me of this Would You Rather question. I think it goes something like this:

WOULD YOU RATHER...

Have to smoke the same cigar every time you smoke for the rest of your life - it can be any cigar, your choice, but only that cigar
-OR-
Smoke a different cigar every time you smoke for the rest of your life, but you can never smoke the same cigar twice?

Comments

• Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Diffrent. I get board to quick to smoke the same thing everyday.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different. I still enjoy trying new stuff even if I don't love it. If you said a group of 10 cigars for the rest of my life, could probably get by on that.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many different cigars out there and a lot of them are good. I think one could sustain one's love of cigars smoking a different one every day.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prob different every tie,would never get bored.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say different as well. Even if you found one you like, there are different sizes and releases that can be obtained and all things considered are different cigars.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Definitely different, there's just so many different cigars I'm sure you could have a unique one each time but keep similar to the one(s) you love.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like this thread, because it really gives a good view on how this hobby/industry has changed over the last 25 years.
    Some of us remember a time when there were very little choices in cigars available.
    There were those odd cigars that were produced by small places and that, but the majority of your choices were the big names. Mac, RyJ, Upmann, Monte, Partagas, Fuente and the like.
    Then the 90s hit. And there were literally hundreds of new names popping up all over.
    Even Movie/Action stars got into the act with horrendous cigars.

30 years ago, If you walked into a cigar store, you would find mostly only the big names.
    Then on the lower shelves would be the few odd cigars they would carry for folks who didn't know anything about cigars and the machine mades.
    And cigars were sold at a lot of places. Newspaper stands/stores, pharmacies and places like that.
    Now, you will rarely find hand mades at anywhere other than cigar stores. There may still be those rare convenience/drug stores that carry a few, but those are rapidly disappearing.

I can remember a time when I was younger, going into the drug store with my dad and his cigar smoking friend and he would buy a cigar, cut it and light it. RIGHT IN THE STORE!

So, to answer the question.......I would go with different, but being stuck with the same cigar over and over wouldn't bother me that much.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    If you said same 5 cigars for the rest i think i could handle that, but different for me. No way i could do the same one every time.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Depends. If it was not 100F at 8pm most nights, I would smoke dang near every night. As it stands, I can only brave the heat two times-ish a week. At that rate, I could smoke the same thing every time and not mind. At my optimal smoking rate...different.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "same cigar thrice a day all day erryday!" - this grumpy old botl
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is heavy man, really have to think about that. Right now I would say the same cigar only. I would rather choose my own and live with it if it's good. You know what to expect and should get it from that cigar. I do like trying different ones too, but only 1 would kinda suck, especially if it was really good. If you never had it you won't miss it, yeah maybe stick with 1 cigar. Hope I never have to decide which cigar, I can't lol.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Being a cig smoker as well I'll take the same one! Too many duds to go through and some are truly horrible
    Money can't buy taste
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get bored pretty easy so different is the way I would go. When you get as old as I am it is good to continue to explore the world, cigars included.
  • Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    brianetz1:
    If you said same 5 cigars for the rest i think i could handle that, but different for me. No way i could do the same one every time.
    Ibwould agree. A choice between five yes but I would have to say differnt as it is right now
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Beaker38:
    brianetz1:
    Ibwould agree. A choice between five yes but I would have to say differnt as it is right now
    AJ Fresh Rolled, MOW PA, MOW Virtue...I'm good.
  • Different.. I'm just getting started so I have a long long way to go!!
  • Different ones.Though I have a few favorites. Variety is the spice of cigars... or is it life.
  • ol_smokey1ol_smokey1 Posts: 26
    Definitely different. In my opinion, trying new cigars is half the fun. Plus, as mentioned previously (at least I think, I just skimmed the thread), you never know what gems you might find that you otherwise would not have tried. Never settle!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one I'm smokin' right now is THE one. Pleasantly surprised with this stick from a sprint sale fiver purchase about a year ago. Macanudo Maduro. But tomorrow might be different. We are lucky gentlemen. Very fortunate IMHO. We can choose either option.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Let's say you decided on a cigar for life. Over the years wouldn't that cigar change, subtly over time, from different crops and aging? Then wouldn't you have a slightly different cigar over time with the same characteristics that you love? Would that make the whole same cigar theory a myth?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darktower007:
    Diffrent. I get board to quick to smoke the same thing everyday.
    too wurds: Spel chekker
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Chemnitz:
    So DZR's "Grumpy Old BOTLs" thread :) reminded me of this Would You Rather question. I think it goes something like this:

WOULD YOU RATHER...

Have to smoke the same cigar every time you smoke for the rest of your life - it can be any cigar, your choice, but only that cigar
    -OR-
    Smoke a different cigar every time you smoke for the rest of your life, but you can never smoke the same cigar twice?

I'd go for one standard, my choice, which I knew I could enjoy again and again, without duds.

To me, the key rule is "you can never smoke the same cigar twice." What would be the point of wading through a score of duds to find a winner if you could never order up a box of them? Nope. That guarantees a string of so-sos and failures followed by another regret, then dragged back to the not-for-mes. Makes no sense.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

The3Stogies:
    Let's say you decided on a cigar for life. Over the years wouldn't that cigar change, subtly over time, from different crops and aging? Then wouldn't you have a slightly different cigar over time with the same characteristics that you love? Would that make the whole same cigar theory a myth?
    Well, you wanna get all technical, the rule set itself is contradictory. To select the one cigar of your choice you would first have to try a variety. The smart guy would say: "Let me have a box of these, and throw in this other sampler, cause I'm not sure I'm ready to settle one just one just yet."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    that is a difficult question.

i would have to say the same cigar for the rest of my life. i know what i like. i want to know i will like a cigar every time i pick it up. i like knowing that there is a cigar i will like waiting for me at any moment.

this would destroy my blog but if push came to shove this is where i would head.

thankfully these hypothetical are not reality.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:

WOULD YOU RATHER...

-OR-

If someone else is buying, I'm not going to be picky!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Tough decision, but I guess Id go with a different one every time because if I got a **** I could just snuff it and get another.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    That's a tough one. I generally have to sample 10 different cigars to find one that I really like. I would be very sad if I could never ever, smoke another Fuente Hemingway, My Father or Padron again. Especially if the only untried cigars left were machine-made--or Gurkhas.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet most of you are not paying close attention to the question. If you choose "different" you can never have the same cigar twice. Never again,.......ever. That means the random cigars you come across that happen to be great, you can never have again. Are there that many random cigars that are good enough to outweigh the boredom of smoking the best cigar you've ever had over and over? Very interesting question. I'm leaning toward "same". But picking THE one would be tough. Uh,.................Padron 64 Maddy no wait!.................