Home General Discussion
Options

Humidor recommendations

What's up everyone. New to the forums and was looking for some advice. I was looking into upgrading my humidor so I could start increasing my collection and was wondering if anyone had recommendations. Looking for around 150-200 size. Have heard some good things about Daniel Marshall and have also looked into the waxing moon humidors.

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Treasure Dome 4 lyfe. And make sure you dust.image
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Murph, hope you don't mind the abbreviation. Those are both good humi's, I have the Evanston dome here (looks just like Rain's), no problems. Says it holds 250. Got the Evanston classic first, too small. Rule of thumb, whatever you get it will be too small. Depending on what you have in mind for the sizeof your stash you may want to think coolador.
  • Options
    Damn, Rain you have some of my favorite beverages too
  • Options
    MuurrrrphMuurrrrph Posts: 7
    Thanks for the quick response guys. I'll definitely check into those as well. And will post whatever I decide to go with
  • Options
    That bottle of crown is making me thirsty haha
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Treasure Dome 4 lyfe. And make sure you dust.image
    Randy, that humidor is HUGE!!!

Oh, and welcome Murph, you'll need a big humi around here.
  • Options
    Crown goes good with a Pepin Blue or MOW Ruination, actually anything
  • Options
    I dusted, lol

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    ewww...I'm scarred now. Welcome Murph, I just use a 150qt igloo cooler. works for me.
  • Options
    Everyone I've been taking to says to get a large size than you think you'll need. So maybe I'm better off looking for 250-300 ct then
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep...Don't do like me spend $250 on a 90 count Diamond Crown humi thinking " that's more than enough"
    month later I bought another humi...filled it then said hell with this cooler time!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muurrrrph:
    Everyone I've been taking to says to get a large size than you think you'll need. So maybe I'm better off looking for 250-300 ct then
    LOL! Just get an igloo and convert it and save yourself a ton of headaches.
    Or bite the bullet and get a cabinet or tower humi.
    I have a shelf full of smaller humis and not one of them has any cigars in them anymore.
    As the saying goes, go big or go home. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Is there a good guide anywhere on how to go about converting an igloo.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search coolidor here in the forum. Or google it. Whenever I google something like that there's threads from this forum towards the top anyway. There was a couple on youtube as well.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't let these guys scare you, I have a few humidors that serve different purposes, I also have a couple of coolers that also serve different purposes. The recommendation to go bigger that you think is so very true, but not every one really gets into it and buys. I have a friend who's humi is sitting untouched for months now, I send him a text every so often to make sure the humidity is correct, I don't want his smokes to go dry. Any way there is definitely no need to spend $ 500 or so on a humi there are great ones out there for much less. Coolers are the best bang for your dollar. All you need to do is add Spanish cedar. Empty boxes, the thin sleeves that come in boxes, etc. Bovada pacs work great to keep the RH stady and that's all she wrote, o yea kitty litter is magic as well.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Be afraid, very afraid, lol. Coolidor would be the way to go for large boxed inventory, may go that way myself someday. But I really like the look of my humi's, maybe it's the memories of past experiences too. Out visiting with parents when I was a kid going to the parlor to see the guys picking cigars out of the humidor's. My Grandfathers office had a humidor, friend of his at the bank had one in his office. One of my favorite shows, "Hogan's Heroes", a humidor was a prominent fixture in Col Klink's office too. They look so good lined up on my table I got for them. Look even better when I dust. Get lot's of compliments when people see them. Opening them up smelling the cedar and tobacco's. I really like my humi's, I need help I know, jd send me some meds
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Now one of my first humidor was a CI special. Cheapo 90 count I got for like $50 bucks. I thought it was garbage till I threw out the stock humidifier and analog hydrometer and added digital and Crystals now it does great. Total investment= $80 so that's not bad.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Still my favorite

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with a preference for traditional wood humidors. I love 'em. Very much. I'll always have one at least. I'm thinking about getting a nice cabinet humidor someday too. But as stated before in this thread, coolers give you more bang for your buck. We're talkin' about storage, not a showpiece. For about fifty bucks worth of cooler and Kitty Litter you are ready to go. Hygrometer? I have several coolers that are so stable I don't even keep a hygrometer inside 'em full time. I swap them around when I feel like checking. And my coolers are always holding good humidity. It's spooky really, how good they hold humidity considering that I virtually NEVER spritz my Kitty Litter. I've been keeping coolers for over a year now and only once can I remember spritzing my KL.

And speaking of kitty litter (KL),...........I always feel like mentioning this when we start talkin' about it. For any casual observer reading along with our conversations. The KL we are using isn't just some old bag of clay cat litter. It has to be the KL made from silica. (100% silica - odor free) It's basically the same stuff Heartfelt Beads are made of.
  • Options
    The3Stogies:
    Depending on what you have in mind for the size of your stash you may want to think coolador.

Yup, have to agree Bob coolidor would be much more practical. That's why I asked what Murph had in mind. I have little over 300 cigars now, but the rotation has begun, so when I got this years order I smoke some from a year or 2 ago. I buy bulk by the year now so I pretty much know the ages, think I'm all set. But if I was to start getting around 500+ then would have to go coolidor. Would have to be metal though. I don't store anything in plastic, especially if it comes from China or some other overseas places,, just me. Someone finished their's in cedar, shelves and everything, posted pics a while back, that was cool. Lol, no coolidor. What is the correct spelling coolidor, or coolador?