Home General Discussion
Options

Just joined today

Hello to all my cigar people. Just joined today. Have a question for anybody. I seasoned my new humidor several days ago with the Humi-care wipes, I went with a digital hygrometer along with the analog. I know this a slow work in progress my readings are between 68/70% and 78F I am worried about the 78 degrees, all fairly new cigars fill the box about 60 of them should I bee concerned about the 78F or not?? I have three of the digital hygrometer they all display the same readings. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    I don't use a humidor, to much trouble for me :P I use coolers, and winadores, but there is a great thread from Catfish on treating a humidor
    click here.... catfishbluezz How to season a humidor
    Hope that helps
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    78 degrees would concern me a bit. Is there a cooler part of the house to put it? I intentionally set my thermostat a lower now that is is frequently in the 80's and soon to be 90's.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to consider is that, at temp's above 71 degrees, tobacco beetles are no longer dormant and can move around looking for a mate. Jus' sayin'......
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My humis are at 86 right now but its ok, the Angels swept the Rangers
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Hmmmmmmm,,, not sure which is worse ;o).. Yes try to cool those puppies down, especially with that humidity,, lower the humidity the higher the temp,, higher the temp lower the humidity!. Not anything to freak out about but id be in the car with all my humi's strapped in taking a nice scenic drive with the radio and ac "blaring"
    fwiw
    Some Tom Petty or Foghat
    Oh Yea,, Welcome!!!!
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bulldog1862:
    Hello to all my cigar people. Just joined today. Have a question for anybody. I seasoned my new humidor several days ago with the Humi-care wipes, I went with a digital hygrometer along with the analog. I know this a slow work in progress my readings are between 68/70% and 78F I am worried about the 78 degrees, all fairly new cigars fill the box about 60 of them should I bee concerned about the 78F or not?? I have three of the digital hygrometer they all display the same readings. Thanks
    Welcome, Bulldog! Glad to have you here!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    The Kid:
    danielzreyes:
    Hmmmmmmm,,, not sure which is worse ;o).. Yes try to cool those puppies down, especially with that humidity,, lower the humidity the higher the temp,, higher the temp lower the humidity!. Not anything to freak out about but id be in the car with all my humi's strapped in taking a nice scenic drive with the radio and ac "blaring"
    fwiw
    Some Tom Petty or Foghat
    Oh Yea,, Welcome!!!!
    that's the temp. I keep them at low to mid 60s rh
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody mentioned freezing yet so I'll touch on the subject just a bit. If you "properly" freeze yourcigars before storage, you will effectively inoculate them from beetle infestations. Then you will not have to concern yourself with higher temps. Be careful to keep them separate from cigars that you have not frozen. There is a lot of particulars to freezing them that I cannot elaborate on at this time. I am typing on my smart phone and my hand us cramping. MAybe someone else can fill you in on these details. Ouch! My hand!
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Bulldog. Mine hardly ever go below 72 or above 75 degrees, no problems yet. Used to put them in the basement during the hot/humid months for better temp stability. Got me an AC for my cigar room only, all is well, as long as there is electricity. Rh is around 65% in the humi's. If you un-wrap your cigars you will see an increase in the rh when you put them in the humi right away. May want to get that down a little too. Sounds like you are doing better than I did when I seasoned my first humi.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    The Kid:
    danielzreyes:
    fwiw
    Some Tom Petty or Foghat
    Oh Yea,, Welcome!!!!
    That's only because you keep your humi on top of the dresser that contains those hot socks of yours,, I bet if you separate the two youll see your temps drop significantly. Congrats on the sweep. Really liked Rafael Palmeiro back in the day.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    danielzreyes:
    The Kid:
    danielzreyes:
    fwiw
    Some Tom Petty or Foghat
    Oh Yea,, Welcome!!!!
    That's only because you keep your humi on top of the dresser that contains those hot socks of yours,, I bet if you separate the two youll see your temps drop significantly. Congrats on the sweep. Really liked Rafael Palmeiro back in the day.
    What ever dude, you have a better collection than me now.

was this back when he was juicing, or back when ............. he was juicing. Heyoooooooo!
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    The Kid:
    danielzreyes:
    The Kid:
    danielzreyes:
    fwiw
    Some Tom Petty or Foghat
    Oh Yea,, Welcome!!!!
    What ever dude, you have a better collection than me now.

was this back when he was juicing, or back when ............. he was juicing. Heyoooooooo!
    OUCH :O)

Canseco can suck it!
  • Options
    Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    Welcome to the fourms
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums
  • Options
    thanks for the advice I'm now in the process of wanting to do a wineadors. my question is can I use old wooden cigar boxes until I can get cedar inserts. do you need to keep the top open or keep the boxes closed. I'm looking at an 18 OR 24 wineadore how much humidifying agent do I need thanks for all your help