Home Non Cigar Related

Kitchen knives

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Im starting to look for a new set of block knives for our kitchen.
Just wondering if yall have any ideas or preferences on brands? What you like or dont like will be helpful.
Thanks
One God, One Truth

Comments

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    excellent question! I have the exact same wonders myself.....

Aj
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Cold Steel makes a hell of a set. Carbon folded steel, American Made, and guaranteed for life. I would never, ever buy anything else. www.coldsteel.com/
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    If you can splurge a bit I highly recommend the Wusthof's midrange series they are great and with routine sharpening and proper care will last a lifetime , and the Morimoto's seem really nice I got to fiddle with a set a few weeks back but can't tell you about the life expectancy on them...... Also try and pick them up and handle them as the comfort of the knives I'd very important.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    2 knife sets come to mind: cephalon and cutco.

I bought my mom a set of cephalon knives for Christmas. She loves the weight and she says they are still as sharp as the day as they were when they were brand new. She also uses the knives everyday.

my aunt uses cutco. They cost about $1000 but according to my aunt they're worth it. Shes had them for a couple of years and they haven't dulled. If they do dull then you can send them in to cutco to have the sharpened again for free.

I've never used cutco but I've used cephalon and like them.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I have a set of Wustof handed down from my Grandma. She bought them in the early sixties and I still use them everyday. Incredible knives, if you take care of them they should last forever. They hold an edge and are perfectly weighted. Not the cheapest, but also not the most expensive. Just remember to never put good knives in a dishwasher and I'd be leery of any knife that says the edge lasts forever. Even good serrated blades will need to be sharpened if you use them enough.
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I would 2nd Cutco Knives. I've had a kitchen set for almost 20 years and they have held up perfectly. Good balance & feel to the knives as you work with them, and they are American made.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I went the cheap route with the Victorinox. Nothing fancy, but they do what I need and can get razor sharp.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own a set of Cutco and they've been great for over 15 years, well until the wife put the butcher knife in the dishwasher a couple of times and cracked the blade. To lazy to send it in for replacement but maybe one day. The steak knives are the BEST I HAVE EVER USED, really can't say enough about them.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Forschner
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO any mid range German made knife is good! The German metal is easier to hone and sharpen and will give you the best and easiest cut. I find most American made knives hold the sharpness longer but are a PIA to resharpen
    Money can't buy taste
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want a nice looking block set of great knives, Wusthof. For BBQ, butchering, etc I use the V-Lo knives. Great carbon blade and a great price. I would almost rather them over the Wusthof for use and sharpening, but they don't have the fancy looks.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cutco are good but I have been using pampered chef set we got as a wedding present. holy moses they are nice.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a lot if internet surfing to do. Lol
    One God, One Truth