Home Cigar 101

Carbs vs protien - to stave off a strong cigar's effects.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does a meal consisting of only proteins (meats) have a lesser effect than a meal rich in carbohydrates (breads, pasta, potatos) in avoiding the gut-punch (nicotine) of a strong cigar? Recently one of our BOTL's mentioned getting an ass kicking from a strong cigar even after a wonderful meal. However, his meal was heavy on protein and light on carbs.

Any thoughts or experiences to share on this carbs vs protein theory?

Comments

• I've found that carbs help a lot, though I try not to eat some too heavy (nachos vs a burger) to try to not offset the flavor of the cigar.
    Also I have NO idea if this actually is working or if it's just in my head...
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One reason I have wondered about this possible difference in effect is that, (as I understand it) carbs are converted to sugars as you metabolize them. And I also hear people say that a spoonful of sugar helps to remedy the sick feeling you get from a nicotine overload. So I reason that carbs will set up sugars in your bloodstream ahead of a strong cigar and help you cope with the nicotine.

Is there a nutritionist BOTL out there who can tell me if my reasoning is sound?
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Any thoughts or experiences to share on this carbs vs protein theory?
    Hmm, never thought about it really.
    But curious topic you have here ... I'll try to be more aware of this when smoking strong cigars in the future and report back if I notice a difference between carbs vs proteins (and how about just veggies/fruit too - wife and I do a no-protein, low-carb dinner at least once/week)

I can tell you that a few strong beers/shots + a couple strong cigars will put you on your a$$ real quick and it doesn't matter how much carbs and protein you ate that day!!!! You'll be feelin' it LOL!!!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    as with most things, a balance will probably do best.
    also, the carbs will be better if they are complex carb and not sugar or white bread. whole grains are not only better for you but they even out your blood sugar better than simple sugars. a spike up or a spike down is the problem.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to add that I find honey roasted peanuts to be great when suffering nic-stomach. Salt, sugar, and protein.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Whole wheat nachos?
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Actually I can probably shed some light on this ...... As I was just diagnosed 3 weeks ago as a diabetic and being on vacation as I've been regulating total carb intake to 2-3 servings at breakfast and lunch a serving being 15 grams of carbs..... A slice of bread is a carb 1 cup of raw veggies or a half cup of steamed veggies is a carb or a half cup of rice or past is a carb..... I really stuck to heavy proteins during dinner I would skip bread and sweets like processed sweets .... Most of the times I'd have fresh fruit for my carb intake and to get some sugars going to curb the nicotine sickness..... A few times I'd just have a lot of protein and I'd start feeling the cigar so I'd grab a lil treat to help out. A balanced meal with carbs and protein is ideal.