Home Non Cigar Related

Need some help with dinner

Some of you may know that I am a Army veteran. In my community we have several homeless veterans. One of the ways that I give back is to cook some of these Vets dinner on Sunday. We take turns so nobody foots the bill every Sunday. It is my turn on Sunday and I am hard pressed to figure out my menu. They get pasta every day and meat loaf a couple times a week. I have done chicken , beef , hot dogs , hamburgers , breakfast and the like. I was thinking about pork tenderloin. I need enough for between 15-20 Vets. I do the sides also. A good green veggie, some roasted red skins, slaw or salad some bread and a desert. Do you guys think the pork is ok?

Comments

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this held at a community center type of place with sit down opportunities or out and about? Btw great job Luke!
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Ok? Pork tenderloin sounds GREAT! It's more than ok. Good job by the way
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I did pork tenderloin for Easter on the grill, yummmmieeeeeeee
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, very cool of you! Second, yes, on the pork tenderloin. One of my favorite ways to prepare it is to use crushed, not ground, coffee and crust the outside with it the night before then roast or grill. Absolutely amazing. I'll try to find the recipe and send you via PM.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, here you go: http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/coffee-crusted-pork-tenderloins/#.U1cWGX29KSM. I use a bit more coffee than this recipe calls for.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I like loin just as much as tenderloin; but I like to wrap the tenderloin in thick sliced bacon to make it heavenly. It's a good meal!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    Jim it is a house type environment where they will be able to sit down.
    Thank you to all you guys for the input. I will check out the coffee recipe. I think the pork will be a nice change for them. Thanks again guys.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the tenderloin I'd do grilled asparagas, with drizzled olive oil and spices and roasted Yukon potatoes and some crunchy bread and strawberry short cake.
    Bigshizza:
    With the tenderloin I'd do grilled asparagas, with drizzled olive oil and spices and roasted Yukon potatoes and some crunchy bread and strawberry short cake.
    I like that. I was looking at asparagas and the strawberry short cake is perfect. switching up the red skins for golds is nice. Thanks Brother.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Tyland64:
    Bigshizza:
    I like that. I was looking at asparagas and the strawberry short cake is perfect. switching up the red skins for golds is nice. Thanks Brother.
    Or do a whole "roasted root" medley. Red and Gold, Sweet Taters, Beets (my favorite), carrots, red onion, can also do turnips, parsnips, rutabaga if you like. Cut em' chunky and drizzle with EVOO, coarse salt and pepper, some fresh rosemary or other herbage, roast and bam, deliciousness.

And I second the asparagus. Love that stuff.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.