Home General Discussion
Options

When are punch cutters appropriate?

What's happnin' people of the leaf? My question today is (Jerry Seinfeld voice) Whats up with the punch cutters? My Bugatti lighter has a punch on the bottom and I can effectively punch a stick, but how does one know when it is appropriate to use it? Some sticks gather too much tar at the end. I've had a few that have done just fine, but a few have also been the victims of second cuttings midway through. I hate to use the word newb/noob. I love the convienience of my new lighter in case I've had one too many drinks and can rely on my punch to make an opening. You get at my point. So please any words of wisdom will be greatly valued. If I had a crystal ball I'm sure it would say a perfecto cutter is in my future. Any tips?

Comments

• Options
    TexvetTexvet Posts: 39
    I used one for the first time the other day, because the cap was so ratty, a regular or V-cut would have wrecked the cigar. Aside from the above, I may not have ever used it.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aland84:
    .... but how does one know when it is appropriate to use it?
    Hmm --- the debate of "punch" vs "cut" has been around for a while and I've never seen a clear cut answer.

I think it all comes down to personal preference. Punch vs cut vs v-cut....go with whatever you like best.

Aland84:
    ...... Any tips?
    A few off the top of my head:
    1 - If the cigar is rolled tight, a punch may not work well because the cigar needs a full cut to allow for proper draw.
    2 - Some blends/vitolas benefit from a punch (like the LFD chisels)
    3 - And then there's obviously some sticks that you just can't punch due to the shape/size...tiny RGs like petit coronas (& smaller), and vitoals with "pointy" tops like torpedos and belicoso come to mind. No idea how you'd punch one of those.

Other than that I think it's just requires experimentation. Heck I smoked multiple LFD chisels and tried cutting, punching, and even just pinching the cap open before I decided the punch was the way to go.

I haven't found a good reason as to "why" certain blends work better with a punch vs a cut.....maybe something to do with the tobaccos used, as you hinted at with tar build up.....construction.....or even ambient smoking environment.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually go with a punch cut unless it is a torpedo or something I can't punch as was mentioned. Once in a while, I will get that tar buildup but it is not too often. Haven't been able to nail down a specific type of cigar or condition, but would be interested if anyone has.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I like to punch corona's and lanceros. I cut everything else with a xi2.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a punch every chance I get. They're obviously not their best with any figurados but I'm not in love with the pointy-headed vitolas anyway. My reason for preferring a punch over a v-cut or a guillotine is that no matter how careful I am, those cutters always leave tiny, loose bits of tobacco and I hate spitting tiny loose bits of tobacco. A punch cuts vertically into the end grain of the binder and filler and leaves no loose bits.

If you're having problems with tar collecting it's most likely because you're smoking too fast. If it's draw problems you're experiencing, try making two punch cuts slightly overlapping each other leaving a cut shaped like a figure 8.

I have a v-cutter and numerous guillotine cutters but I still prefer my punch.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    When are punch cutters *not* appropriate?
  • Options
    Rain:
    When are punch cutters *not* appropriate?

Well, you CAN use a punch in a pinch (yuk, yuk). I've used one on a torp or other pointy-headed sticks a time or two when I didn't have my punch handy. It works - after a fashion - but a guillotine is better for those.
  • Options
    Isn't there a torpedo MADE to me punched...or am I thinking of the chisel?
  • Options
    I've seen a chisel punched on the flat surface, if that's what you're referring to.....
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    I've seen a chisel punched on the flat surface, if that's what you're referring to.....
    Probably what I'm thinking of.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    I use my punch most often now. I think it does well to slow and focus the smoke flow. The times I don't use it are on torpedoes, sometimes small gauges, and then the stick doesn't seem strong enough to take the pressure of a punch.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I never use a punch. I'm perfectly happy with a straight cut every time and haven't felt the desire to do something else. I'm not very adventurous.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I bought a punch because it goes on my keychain. I lost five cutters, I never loose my keys. Now I only use the punch, and it gives me the same draw profile with every cigar as the opening is the same size. Also, being a corona and small ring gauge ****, I appreciate the size if the punch opening being close to a corona, so even if I smoke a 60rg, it smokes like a corona. I only use a cutter on beli's now.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    I bought a punch because it goes on my keychain. I lost five cutters, I never loose my keys. Now I only use the punch, and it gives me the same draw profile with every cigar as the opening is the same size. Also, being a corona and small ring gauge ****, I appreciate the size if the punch opening being close to a corona, so even if I smoke a 60rg, it smokes like a corona. I only use a cutter on beli's now.
    I recall this awesome Palio cutter you had...sounds like you don't need it anymore ;) You got my addy?
  • Options
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    I recall this awesome Palio cutter you had...sounds like you don't need it anymore ;) You got my addy?
    Palio ain't going nowhere... Here is my well used xikar punch
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Hey Catfish, we need to find you a child safe punch? Or just send more bandaids
  • Options
    FireRob:
    sloppy jab... Still working on turning it properly ;)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I use my punch all the time. With torps I use my xi3.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    FireRob:
    sloppy jab...
    I know I know, Sorry, I will try to do better next time.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only use a cutter on torpedoes. All others get the punch.
  • Options
    FireRob:
    catfishbluezz:
    FireRob:
    sloppy jab...
    no really! I trashed it hitting pads sloppy the last two weeks lol. One of my students insisted we bandage it this morning.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    FireRob:
    catfishbluezz:
    FireRob:
    sloppy jab...
    no really! I trashed it hitting pads sloppy the last two weeks lol. One of my students insisted we bandage it this morning.
    Ah Got Ya. Thought you were saying I said a bad joke.
  • Options
    FireRob:
    catfishbluezz:
    FireRob:
    catfishbluezz:
    FireRob:
    sloppy jab...
    Ah Got Ya. Thought you were saying I said a bad joke.
    all good man, my left sucks bawlz anyways. I deserve to get razzed for it. Are a few nice ones Monday as punishment lol.