Home General Discussion

What did you get today?

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Jared, the last Nicaraguan cigar festival Puro Humo in February 2014, I met both CA and Cigar Journal magazines people and talked about their rating. I wasn't diplomatic at all. I told them this though cigar taste is subjective but both of their ratings systems are out of the line. One of them answered - well that's the fun of reviewing cigars. I blasted him buying saying- the fun part is yours with advertisement and cut the conversation short. I was a special guest in the event and I utilized the opportunity in full scale-:)
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Jared, the last Nicaraguan cigar festival Puro Humo in February 2014, I met both CA and Cigar Journal magazines people and talked about their rating. I wasn't diplomatic at all. I told them this though cigar taste is subjective but both of their ratings systems are out of the line. One of them answered - well that's the fun of reviewing cigars. I blasted him buying saying- the fun part is yours with advertisement and cut the conversation short. I was a special guest in the event and I utilized the opportunity in full scale-:)
    my hero
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Another disappointment with this. Anyway I will hold my final comment after I smoke the second one. The flavors and aroma was not intense enough to captivate me until the last puff. However, one stick is not enough to jump to the conclusion. However a great cigar gather enough interest during the first smoke.
    rzaman:
    photo image_zps40a3e00a.jpg photo image_zps84242841.jpg
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Jared, I smoked them both. They are not worth of the price but the original one is a good smoke. The second one with a Honduran wrapper with the same blend is a bad cigar. I don't how I end up buying the boxes.
    blurr:
    rzaman:
    Can you believe it I bought Gurkha lol photo image_zps1f08f518.jpg photo image_zpsf1ad4891.jpg
    If they're crap like the reputation gurks carry, I'll lose a TON of respect for CA and believe the money issue is true. I'll believe when you smoke one you'll give us an honest impression rip.
    Well, if nothing else the top box is pretty cool.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Elmo tried me and found me guilty of the following crimes:

1) Having a "potty mouth."
    2) Instigating.
    3) Disrespecting RCY Cigars.

My punishment was to smoke a Raji's Untimely Demise and post a picture of it with a signed, provided by the little red furry beast himself.The evidence against me was clear so I found no reason to appeal:

Thanks, Elmo, I am much better now.

Damn Eric, looks like you're enjoying that cigar...?
  • musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    I should be posting a picture of my box of Flor De Las Antillas I got off sprint sale last week but somehow it got delivered to the wrong post office along the way or something. Not sure why, never had a problem before with shipping from here. Hopefully it shows up tomorrow. Anyone else have this experience?
    Today's pick ups. Some I like and some new to try. image
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    my hero

I'm glad you got that dig in on them Rip. Until they remove so many ads from their magazine its always going to be an issue, and they've lost so many readers and subscriptions due to it that they likely had to increase the amount of ads to make up for lost revenue, which is like a vortex of downward spiral. No names, but i recently signed up for my first trial issue of a magazine and immediately was turned off by the fact 50% of their pages were ads of cigars. I get it, they're in the game and need to make money every way they can, and its tougher today with the losses of paper print versus digital media but its a bit much to trust their annual best of the year list. Oh well, forums like this one and others are your best bet for honest people giving honest reviews and its always a point of respect that I have for ccom that they allow us to talk about all cigars and not just ones they sell.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:

Good for you.

I gave up on CA years ago when after buying a lot of their top choices I couldn't figure out what they were talking about, or even if they were talking about the same cigar I was smoking. They looked the same, they had the same bands, and I bought them at a reputable B&M, but in no way shape or form did they even come close to matching up. Check that, they were the same shape.
  • Aland84Aland84 Posts: 60
    I got a macanudo vintage 97 from a b&m in Orange CA that I'm going to save for a bit but I also got some sticks that my cousin picked out that were from somewhere in CA. We were enjoying them and then had the quake that startled us and we stopped smoking to check on the girls and the house. But the sticks were good. If I can find the band I'll post the name. We had a lot to drink that night.

Lately I am into Rum collection. Some new items to my collection:
    photo image_zps51734e03.jpg photo image_zps63b670aa.jpg
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:

Lately I am into Rum collection. Some new items to my collection:
    photo image_zps51734e03.jpg photo image_zps63b670aa.jpg
    Very nice Rip.... Dang bro
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Ditto on that expansion. Its like I'm an old man anymore. After the cigar collection was filed with Cubans and the best ncs, anymore my money has been going to acquiring the best aged whiskeys and rums I can find at all the local shops. Scotch had been a huge interest to me lately and I'm infatuated with it after hours for a nightcap.
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Picked these up at a B&M on my way to the cabin in WI.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    Picked these up at a B&M on my way to the cabin in WI.
    mmmmmm 88 maduro = awesomeness
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I got an unexpected day off from work(yay).cause I am really sick(boo)but now I've got some time to catch up on some stuff(yay)but the wife says I can't go outside since I'm sick(boo) And double boo no smoking since I'm sick....
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Winnings from Total Flame on Cigar Chat via CFed the other night! This is awesome. 2 each of Total Flame's 4 cigar lines. Can't wait to try these when it gets a bit nicer out. And have 2 each means I get to try them at different ages.

Thanks Rob!
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:

Winnings from Total Flame on Cigar Chat via CFed the other night! This is awesome. 2 each of Total Flame's 4 cigar lines. Can't wait to try these when it gets a bit nicer out. And have 2 each means I get to try them at different ages.

Thanks Rob!
    Ditto ! Thanks CF
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    An unexpected attack from Mark

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    No_one21:

Thanks Rob!
    Ditto ! Thanks CF
    The FTW is TEEEETZ! I love that smoke man. I dug the old school bright line. Didn't blow me away, but it was solid. I am going to review the Nica here soon, and need to get my hands on the dark line. The dark line is from La Aurora in the DR, the rest are from Plasencia in Nica.

I got this beautiful thing from an antique store today on the way home from work. I am going to put cedar line and turn it into a humidor. It is huge. I like the 4 goat RAM heads.
    photo image_zpsda0ee0e4.jpg photo image_zps3ebd91e3.jpg photo image_zps14d7412d.jpg photo image_zpsf641c147.jpg
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    curtpick:
    No_one21:

Thanks Rob!
    Ditto ! Thanks CF
    The FTW is TEEEETZ! I love that smoke man. I dug the old school bright line. Didn't blow me away, but it was solid. I am going to review the Nica here soon, and need to get my hands on the dark line. The dark line is from La Aurora in the DR, the rest are from Plasencia in Nica.
    Sweet! Now I'm even more excited.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:

I got this beautiful thing from an antique store today on the way home from work. I am going to put cedar line and turn it into a humidor. It is huge. I like the 4 goat RAM heads.
    photo image_zpsda0ee0e4.jpg photo image_zps3ebd91e3.jpg photo image_zps14d7412d.jpg photo image_zpsf641c147.jpg
    Like the Arc of the Covenant of cigars! cool, rip.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:

So what was its intended use? Pretty ornate, nice craftsmanship.

Kevin, though I got it in Nicaragua but this 4 Goat RAM heads box originally came from Bulgaria. The dealer told me this is an axion ritual item. Goat and Ram Heads are Sacred in Witchcraft and Satanism. The horned and hoofed Greek goat-god, Pan, is one of the most important entities of Witchcraft. Thor, the Norse god, was worshiped before the other gods of Valhalla. Some say he existed as early as the stone-age. Thor drove a great chariot, pulled by two giant, powerful goats. They symbolized thunder and lightning. Medieval legends say that the Devil created the goat. Satan himself often appeared with goat's horns, and sometimes changed his shape completely into a goat bla bla bla.

I find it as a beautiful craftsmanship and unusual looking humidor with classic touch.
    perkinke:
    rzaman:

So what was its intended use? Pretty ornate, nice craftsmanship.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool box!
    Is there a hallmark on it?
    The reason I ask is that it is very unique and it is possible that it is a Kukeri box.
    It is the only Bulgarian ritual that I can think of associated with a goat or ram.
    It was to ward off evil spirits.
    Probably not though. It's that linear thinking again. It is a curious artifact and very interesting.
    So my mind gets to going. LOL!
    It will make a very cool humidor to say the least.

You can tell me to shut up any time. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been waiting forever for these.

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I have been waiting forever for these.

those are going to take HOURS to smoke.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    jd50ae: