Home Cigar 101

Need Help with Humidification Beads

2»

Comments

• arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok so do not wipe down? How do I dry out the beads they came percharged?
    What is the dollar bill test ? I have seen people talk about it but could not find out what it is or how to do it
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    arch72:
    I linked the thread, read that and you'll have everything you need to get your humidor running properly. The beads only dry over time. I'd think trying to force dry them, would damage them.
    Ok Thank you for all the help now I just have to wait for UPS they are so slow LOL
    arch72:
    Ok Thank you for all the help now I just have to wait for UPS they are so slow LOL
    Any time....stick around, keep us updated. You'll really enjoy it here
    I will keep you guys up to date. And I will stick around I like how fast and polite everyone is.And no made fun of a nub lol
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    arch72:
    I will keep you guys up to date. And I will stick around I like how fast and polite everyone is.And no made fun of a nub lol
    SHUT UP SILLY NUB!!!Yeah, stick around...it's great here :)
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    arch72:
    Like Boots said, don't worry ab drying. You want them charged anyway. However, if you ever overcharge them and need to dry them out, you can just sit them out in the open... or if you are in a hurry, a hair dryer on lowest heat setting will do it.

Also, dont be afraid to try lower rh's (or even a little higher if you like, but not much past 70) I prefer mid 60's and some like low 60's... it changes how the cigar burns. Anyway, you just experiment and see what you like.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    arch72:
    Like Boots said, don't worry ab drying. You want them charged anyway. However, if you ever overcharge them and need to dry them out, you can just sit them out in the open... or if you are in a hurry, a hair dryer on lowest heat setting will do it.

Also, dont be afraid to try lower rh's (or even a little higher if you like, but not much past 70) I prefer mid 60's and some like low 60's... it changes how the cigar burns. Anyway, you just experiment and see what you like.
    I'm about a 67 guy. Look at it like this the higher the rH, the more moisture in the stick. So, the lower the rH, the hotter the burn.
    does the Rh level change the flavor?
    arch72:
    does the Rh level change the flavor?
    Yes and no. If its burning to hot, it can get bitter. If you stay in the 60-70rH range, youre golden.
    Hey New Boots I see in your posts a link for a social club what is that
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a digital hygrometer. Two digital hygrometers wouldn't be a bad idea either. One for up high and one for down low.
    arch72:
    Hey New Boots I see in your posts a link for a social club what is that
    Heh, that's a live text-chat I set up for the folks around here. It'**** and miss as to if you'll find someone there. (My name is always there...though I'm not always there). Good times are generally had.
    Ok just got my humidor today and I took some measurements of the inside of it. here they are 10"x15.75"x22.75" If I did the math right it says that I need 1/2 lb of beads please let me know if I am right.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That may be right... I'd go a little more, just to ensure stability and even rh. But you can always add or take away some.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    My question is...is why spend the space on beads or litter??
    Money can't buy taste
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Agreed. Switched the humi from KL to boveda and it opened a ton of space.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Because it works? Beads work and so does Boveda paks but you're going to spend a lot more money on the paks esp. if you have an extensive collection. Here's the main thought for humidors...you only want to fill them 3/4 full and use the unfilled area to put your KL or beads in.