Home General Discussion
Options

Help me Please!

I have always enjoyed smoking cigars and learning about them. I just decided to start my own collection. My brother got me a nice humidor for Christmas. My one friend made a deal with his kids to stop smoking cigars so he gave me a really nice and very large humidor. Also he gave me his collection of cigars that were not maintained for some time. There are hundreds of cigars and most seem to be dried out. I am just now seasoning my humidors and want to know how to bring these cigars back to life? If I keep them in my humidor and rotate them for months will they become healthy again? Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure but it make take a few months. I know a few guys here have done it so hopefully they can speak from experience.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Well, I'm not expert, so to the OG's out there...please correct me.

Once the (empty) humidor is properly seasoned, and the sticks go back in it...if you start with a lower rH, and slowly bring it up..over a period of a few months, the sticks should come back around. Now..that being said...they can be TO dry, and...well, then I don't believe there is anything you can do.
  • Options
    Thank you
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    Once the (empty) humidor is properly seasoned, and the sticks go back in it...if you start with a lower rH, and slowly bring it up..over a period of a few months, the sticks should come back around. Now..that being said...they can be TO dry, and...well, then I don't believe there is anything you can do.
    This is correct.
    This is what I've always read/heard.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Once the cigars have lost the essential oils of the leaf, they are lost forever.

Your best bet on these is to start with a cooler that fits the cigars with a little more room to spare. Find the lowest boveda pack you can (one pack per 50 or so cigars.) I think they make a 59%? Then put those with the cooler in an area where the temperature is 60 degrees or so. Check once a week. Not more often. Rotate the sticks carefully when you check them. Do this until the boveda packs are dry and crunchy. Then use 65% boveda packs and repeat the process. It could take 4-6 months.

Meanwhile season the humidor and buy some cigars from cigar.com to get it to half full minimum. If you fill it less your humidity will fluctuate wildly at times and frustrate you. Salt test any hygrometer you use before you trust it. Start out like those dry cigars might not ever make it back. I hope they do but for another 6 months consider them dead to you.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    New Boots:
    This is correct.
    This is what I've always read/heard.

Agreed. From what I've always heard, there's a point when the cigars lose all their oils. You can still make them "smoke-able" but they'll never be the same. How long that takes, I think, is strictly up to the cigar and the conditions in which it was kept.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bur remember .. when you have the proper moisture and temperature leave them alone .. do not keep opening the box .. I found that after a month they should be gently rotated, if they are not too dry, and then leave them alone for another period of time.

Years ago someone was given a bunch of cigars to give me on her next visit, Well she forgot to pack them and it was another 2 months, they were dry enough to use for kindling. I tried the above method, courtesy of Seven Corners VA cigar store owner, and it worked. I think maybe 2 out of the bunch (about 50) were beyond any help.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Just be patient! Stick around here, these brothers will do everything they can to help you through this. We all love cigars, and would hate to see them be wasted, especially by no fault of your own. So, just stick with it...wait it out, and try some new sticks on the way!
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Eagles39:
    I have always enjoyed smoking cigars and learning about them. I just decided to start my own collection. My brother got me a nice humidor for Christmas. My one friend made a deal with his kids to stop smoking cigars so he gave me a really nice and very large humidor. Also he gave me his collection of cigars that were not maintained for some time. There are hundreds of cigars and most seem to be dried out. I am just now seasoning my humidors and want to know how to bring these cigars back to life? If I keep them in my humidor and rotate them for months will they become healthy again? Thanks for the help!
    quantify dried. like if you touch them they break apart or dried as in they look kinda dry in the cello?
  • Options
    Oh, and welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Eagles39:
    And be sure to PM MVW67 or BigShizza your mailing address. they keep the master record. All kinds of useful tips could come your way.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Eagles39:
    quantify dried. like if you touch them they break apart or dried as in they look kinda dry in the cello?
    He opens the cello and it pours out like hot cocoa... Might take a couple years to get it back into shape.
  • Options
    If I softly pinch them they crack.
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    This is great help. I will do just this. Thanks!
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Just my two cents

I was a small time smoker many years ago and stopped, but kept my small humble stash over the years. On occasion I would add some distilled water but over all the humidor was neglected.

Fast forward to 6+ months ago and I got back into cigars. I did what I could to save my old cigars using the above tips mentioned. Truth is none of them were truly saved. A few were even destroyed. I am in the process of smokeing them still just cause you can call me thrifty or stubbern.

I keep a log in a notebook with the band attached to any notes I make. If even in the crappy condidtion I still got some enjoyment from it Ill make a note to my self if I ever find that same cigar then Ill give it a second try on a cigar that was properly cared for.

Robert
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    This story I've heard about many times....that cigars were left in a humidor for along time and dried out. The problem as you've probably been told is that cigars have oils in them that cannot be reintroduced after they've been dried out. The only way to maintain any cigar is to keep them in a thriving environment of 70/70 and most will keep their cigars at 65%. Depending on how long the cigars have been dry will let you know if they can be saved and anything over 3 months is probably a goner. Less than 3 months you can bring some of them back by reintroducing them to a low humidity first...60% for a couple of weeks then again another 2 weeks at 62....2 weeks at 64....and continue 2 weeks for every 2% rise. If it were me I'd get them up to about 70% and then try one and see if the taste profile is there...humidity will help and 65% isn't enough to change the balance of flavor.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Just a tad more info/personal note one the matter.

I am down to my last four or five rescue attempt sticks and today was good one (smoked with a nice burn and didnt taste like I was sucking on the ash from an ash tray), I was so happy to finially almost enjoy a smoke (right now I am avoiding my "good stuff" as much as I can until I have purged these that I have attempted to save from my big humi) Todays smoke was a Don Rene and was very surprised. Guess the ten plus years of age helped this one out. The last remainder of rescue cigars I have are three St. Luis Rey's and two cigars I bought almost four years ago on my honey moon from a guy that was rolling cigars at a stand just as we exited the cruis ship. (saving these to smoke on my anniversary comming up in April.)