Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What bottle should i buy myself for my birthday weekend.

I am celebrating my birthday this weekend and trying to figure out what i want to drink. I like all types of whiskey but no really sure what kind i should try this go around. Any suggestions on a good drink to go with multiple cigars and multiple drinks. .

Comments

• Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    ooooooooh fireball!!!! so good in the wintery seasons . :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I go between bourbon and irish whiskey. Lately i have been reaching for Bushmills Black Bush. Its the baby brothe of the Bushmills 16 year. Reasonable and a great taste from the sherry barrel!
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    LiquidChaos66:
    ooooooooh fireball!!!! so good in the wintery seasons . :)
    I always keep a little swig of fireball in the freezer. It is a good "freshen up" drink to swig right before you go out somewhere (not driving of course) but its almost like putting a stick of big red chewing gum in your mouth .
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    I go between bourbon and irish whiskey. Lately i have been reaching for Bushmills Black Bush. Its the baby brothe of the Bushmills 16 year. Reasonable and a great taste from the sherry barrel!
    I like the looks of that 16 year, but honestly i haven't tried either. I will definatley put it on the list to try. Btw, I am an on the rocks kind of guy, so i dont like all of that ginger and lime bull mess.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woodford! Also, just tried Willet and it's very good. Super super smooth and a little sweet. I'm always a fan of Bulleit and Knob Creek too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Woodford! Also, just tried Willet and it's very good. Super super smooth and a little sweet. I'm always a fan of Bulleit and Knob Creek too.
    I am so glad you said Woodford. I have been wanting to try it since my last bottle of Bulleit. I also love Knob Creek. Looks like Woodford it is ! If it compares anything to Bulleit wich is one of my favs, we definatley have a winner!
  • Options
    Bamablows:
    Gray4lines:
    I am so glad you said Woodford. I have been wanting to try it since my last bottle of Bulleit. I also love Knob Creek. Looks like Woodford it is ! If it compares anything to Bulleit wich is one of my favs, we definatley have a winner!
    Im not a connoisseur, but I think Woodford is a liiiiitle sweeter than Bulleit. They are not far off to me... maybe I will try some of each right now! But Woodford is a winner
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Bamablows:
    Gray4lines:
    Im not a connoisseur, but I think Woodford is a liiiiitle sweeter than Bulleit. They are not far off to me... maybe I will try some of each right now! But Woodford is a winner
    Thanks for all the feedback. I plan on spending saturday, sunday and monday with my feet up, drink at the ready and a cigar and or pipe hanging from my mouth. May get up for some good food eventually, but who knows. .
  • Options
    Bamablows:
    Gray4lines:
    Bamablows:
    Gray4lines:
    Thanks for all the feedback. I plan on spending saturday, sunday and monday with my feet up, drink at the ready and a cigar and or pipe hanging from my mouth. May get up for some good food eventually, but who knows. .
    Sounds perfect! Side by side, the woodford isn't as heavy... a little brighter tasting, but with a little more spicy kick. Not quite as caramally or toasy as the Bulleit. That's all I got!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    If you like the bulliet, try bulliet rye! Im kinda stuck on that at the moment
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Also fantastic
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:

What does the rye do for it? Just more spice?
  • Options
    Bamablows:
    Jetmech_63:

What does the rye do for it? Just more spice?
    More spice kick, and almost no sweetness. I haven't had a lot of experience with rye. I have a knob creek rye and bulleit rye, and usually mix em with ginger ale. I'd rather sip bourbon, but rye's are very good... kinda different.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Four Roses Single Barrell
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Angels Envy...yum!
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    It's your birthday? Old Forrestor Birthday Bourbon. If you can't find that, Woodford is an awesome choice.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for Woodford.

And happy bday to you, bama. Hope it's a good one.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    My Money is on Jamison Black. It's so smooth and easy drinking. I too am typically a rocks guy but this one you can just drink straight.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Just picked up a bottle of JP Wiser's Rye. Apparently its new and I was really impressed with it. Very smooth and the price tag was great too! I know its a blended Canadian whiskey, but very good all the same!
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I went with woodford. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I will be trying quite a few of these in the future for sure.
  • Options
    curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    Bamablows:
    I am celebrating my birthday this weekend and trying to figure out what i want to drink. I like all types of whiskey but no really sure what kind i should try this go around. Any suggestions on a good drink to go with multiple cigars and multiple drinks. .
    Depends what you are looking for

Whiskey - Angels Envy Rye - This one is going to be a little tough to find and is a little pricey
    Bourbon - Elmer T Lee - $30 a fifth here
    Scotch - Auchentoshan - $30-$40 a fifth here

If you like Bourbon, I really recommend giving Elmer a try. It is made by the person that invented single barrel Bourbon (Blanton’s Single Barrel). In my opinion the best Bourbon for the money, period.

All three of these are smooth enough to sip on with a couple cubes of ice. Just be careful, they are so good and smooth it is easy to get out of hand. These are what I like to keep in my locker at my B&M so I will only pour a finger or 2 unless I plan on spending the evening there or have someone else to drive. Since it is your birthday, I would expect you are looking for something nice to drink and will have a D.D. if you are leaving the house.
  • Options
    curtiscr79:
    If you like Bourbon, I really recommend giving Elmer a try. It is made by the person that invented single barrel Bourbon (Blanton’s Single Barrel). In my opinion the best Bourbon for the money, period.
    Them's fightin' words. :P
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Macallan, 15 yr old Scotch.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    curtiscr79:
    Bring it! I stand behind my words. If you have not tried Elmer T Lee, do yourself a favor.
  • Options
    curtiscr79:
    jthanatos:
    curtiscr79:
    Bring it! I stand behind my words. If you have not tried Elmer T Lee, do yourself a favor.
    With the danger of looking like a name dropper... I actually met Elmer back in 2012 before he died. Yes, it is a great whiskey, but runs the danger of all single barrel bottlings, some can be rather... meh. I am just a fickle fellow when it comes to whiskey. There is so much good stuff at the 30-50 range that I am hard pressed to stick to one favorite on any given day.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    thats Protestant!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    curtiscr79:
    jthanatos:
    curtiscr79:
    With the danger of looking like a name dropper... I actually met Elmer back in 2012 before he died. Yes, it is a great whiskey, but runs the danger of all single barrel bottlings, some can be rather... meh. I am just a fickle fellow when it comes to whiskey. There is so much good stuff at the 30-50 range that I am hard pressed to stick to one favorite on any given day.
    I can understand where you are coming from. I keep a pretty good selection to change it up a bit myself.
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    If you liked the Woodford, try the double oaked sometime. We had some with smokes at Christmas and it was very civilized.
  • Options
    It's nice to have a selection to choose from. My next bottle will be something from knob creek.