Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Vulchor's Views from the Nest

Comments

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I think you missed his point vulchor. Or, you are just happy to jump on the atheist bandwagon. His point was that this young man acted without thought to morality. And when morality is removed from the public sector, some are raised without knowing right from wrong.
    ...Even as a very conservative Christian, I know that we don't have the market cornered on morality, nor do Atheists have any sort of monopoly on immorality. We could argue the virtues of absolute morality VS relative morality as it relates to the good of society... but why? Frankly, I find any attempt to use this or any tragedy caused by one disturbed individual to push an agenda distasteful. People do sh!tty things to each other. We always have, we always will. But to attempt to channel the current grief and outrage to support a particularly ideology, whether that is a return to Christianity in schools, Gun Control, or any other philosophy is ugly and wrong.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    beatnic:
    I think you missed his point vulchor. Or, you are just happy to jump on the atheist bandwagon. His point was that this young man acted without thought to morality. And when morality is removed from the public sector, some are raised without knowing right from wrong.
    He was homeschooled, and his mother stockpiled the wepons he used. There is some evidence emerging that she/he may have been in fear of the 12/21/12 "end of the world" nonesense, but so far there is no confirmed motive yet. It is way too early to start talking about blaming society for this crime because of a supposed "lack of morality" in the public sector.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Beatnic has a point. Problems abound, here, however. I believe that absolutely we should "allow God" in schools. A minute of silence once or twice a day, in which students may pray would be a great thing. All we can enforce, however, is the silence. The choice to pray, or not, must be individual.
    As Webmost pointed out in another thread, Character is what's lacking. This problem goes far beyond a simple canned answer like prayer in schools, or censorship in movies / art. Religion can answer this need, for an individual, but when we start enforcing a particular religion, well, history is full of stories as to where that leads. As Vulchor pointed out.
    There just is no easy answer, is there?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    beatnic:
    ...Even as a very conservative Christian, I know that we don't have the market cornered on morality, nor do Atheists have any sort of monopoly on immorality. We could argue the virtues of absolute morality VS relative morality as it relates to the good of society... but why? Frankly, I find any attempt to use this or any tragedy caused by one disturbed individual to push an agenda distasteful. People do sh!tty things to each other. We always have, we always will. But to attempt to channel the current grief and outrage to support a particularly ideology, whether that is a return to Christianity in schools, Gun Control, or any other philosophy is ugly and wrong.
    Thank You JThan. I consider myself rather moral and rather non religious. I donate my time, energy, and money for people and have a job that requires (to do it well) compassion and understanding. I dont think these are traits one needs to have Jesus or Buddah or anyone else to put forth.
  • Options
    Additionally, my main point is what everyone seemed to echo here. Dont use a tragedy to further your cause or agenda. The Westboro Church people are complete **** who should be ignored, and while comments like Huck's are not as inflamatory they serve an equally detrimental (or at least useless) purpose. People should be as conscious about the info they consume as the trans fats.
  • Options
    Hey...how about this, f*ck Lance Armstrong. He's a liar and a cheat, fine thats obvious---hell, everyone who really knows him has said he's a pr!ck for years. But the as$hole rode a bicycle ok? Rode a freakin bike. Im sorry that people believed in him, and wanted him to be perfect, but thats humanity and thats life. And if youre mad you donated to a cancer charity because of his actions and not glad you took the time and effort to donate to a good cause, youre a worse person than he.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Hey...how about this, f*ck Lance Armstrong. He's a liar and a cheat, fine thats obvious---hell, everyone who really knows him has said he's a pr!ck for years. But the as$hole rode a bicycle ok? Rode a freakin bike. Im sorry that people believed in him, and wanted him to be perfect, but thats humanity and thats life. And if youre mad you donated to a cancer charity because of his actions and not glad you took the time and effort to donate to a good cause, youre a worse person than he.

Lance lied to cover-up the fact that he doped up to win a race. Personally, I'd be lying to cover-up the fact that I rode a bicycle through France while I was wearing spandex shorts...
  • Options
    Well said Toombes...well said.
  • Options
    OK, to be contrary (like that's something new, right?)......

Mr. Armstrong just might be one of the strongest, healthiest human beings on the planet; a man who has not only survived testicular cancer, but stomped the crap out of it and danced on it's grave, and then went on to win the Tour De France, one of the most difficult feats of athletic acheivement ever divised by man, time after time after time. We should all be half as healthy and strong as this guy is. Maybe the problem is not that he lied about "doping" but the hysteria about "doping" in the first place.

I recall a hysteria in the US about doping that has created the world's largest prison population and completely ruined the lives of millions of people who would probably otherwise be contributing members of society, all because of an irational view of "dope".

But that couldn't be the problem. NAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. What was I thinking.

• Options
    Not a bad view JDH-------Mine is more along the lines that we should stop idolizing celebrities, but this is an intersting take as well.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    Not a bad view JDH-------Mine is more along the lines that we should stop idolizing celebrities, but this is an intersting take as well.
    Calvanism runs like a motherlode throgh the DNA of our American character, using the wrath of our judgmental nature to beat the crap out of flawed human beings.
  • Options
    Your quite right. Its a shame that by in large people are more disappointed when a man who rides a bicycle has broken their hearts than the fact we have soldiers dying in unjust wars and that we have kids going to bed hungry........but hey screw those things---Long Island Medium is on afterall.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I just love to see these "false idols" fall from grace. Call me a mean f$%^ but I just love it sometimes. There will always be professional athletes and stars that I respect, but I won't and can't put them on a pedestal. I try to show my son to look up to firemen, soldiers & policemen. And not to get disappointed is a "star" disappointes you in life.
  • Options
    Right on Bobbo------the guy who takes the money for my gas when I have to go to work, or the lady who makes me a sandwich so I can have lunch is more of a hero to me than a guy who can hit a baseball or learn his lines well.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Vulchor:
    Calvanism runs like a motherlode throgh the DNA of our American character, using the wrath of our judgmental nature to beat the crap out of flawed human beings.
    You got that right! It's like a national sport.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Hilarious

Colbert
  • Options
    John Boehner stated on CBS Sunday Morning (when asked how he feels about this congress being rated the lowest acting in history) that this house shouldnt be judged by how many laws it passes, but instead by how many it repeals.......Trouble is John, your Republican House has not repealed a single law, not one. However you do continue to try to get stuff passes about "women's baby ovens as well as queers getting hitched". Yeah-----we're on the right track alright.
  • Options
    So.....21 yr old gets busted for meeting a 15 yr old online and after she sneaks out at night she meets and they have sex. He keeps this going and threatens her if she doesnt keep it up and threatens her boyfriend when she has one. He has now been arrested, charged, and sentenced to jail time----well enough.

HOWEVER, this is also a case of another "innocent" victim. In my day, we had terms for girls who would sneak out of their house to meet with strangers with the intent of have relations.....just sayin.
  • Options
    So, while I generally dont know or give a *** about the Duck Dynasty fellas and anyone is free to say whatever the hell they want......really? Marry em at 15, make sure they can cook, dont envy a man's ****, and gays are **** animals? Sadly, Palin and about half of the middle america and redneck bumpkins think of this guy in the same light as a nobel prize winner or fine statesman.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    So, while I generally dont know or give a *** about the Duck Dynasty fellas and anyone is free to say whatever the hell they want......really? Marry em at 15, make sure they can cook, dont envy a man's ****, and gays are **** animals? Sadly, Palin and about half of the middle america and redneck bumpkins think of this guy in the same light as a nobel prize winner or fine statesman.
    I agree with the cooking...
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    15? That's certainly Nature's way. The age of majority is sadly delayed in our society. Life is short enough without putting the best of it off so pitifully long.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Amen Web, lol.........
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then we blame it on them when youngsters act so frustrated and irresponsible. They are frustrated because they aren't autonomous. They are irresponsible because they have no responsibilities.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Well said again
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    So, while I generally dont know or give a *** about the Duck Dynasty fellas
    So you don't know. But do you know if he actually said this?
    Vulchor:
    ,and gays are **** animals?
    Did he (Duck Guy) say that, or did you just make that up?
  • Options
    Yes Robert, he likened the two---at least in the eyes of this "God" he talks about........And I quote

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. ****, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men ... Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I have often wondered that seeing you choose the name Vulchor why you do not use the photo of a Vulture as your Avatar. Here are but two of thousand's that would be good examples, both are King Vultures by the way though there are many examples. Just my two cents here, don't hate on me for it!
    This one I took myself of a Common Black Vulture hatchling.

• Options
    Vulchor:
    Yes Robert, he likened the two---at least in the eyes of this "God" he talks about........And I quote

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. ****, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men ... Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

He's listing what he considers to be sins and crudely attempting to quote scripture but it is clear that he simply does not say or even imply that - gays are **** animals. Those are your words.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Well at least I tried to lighten the mood here before it becomes too heated..........

• Options
    Thanks for the mood lightening. I think the colorful vultures were beautiful.

And I'm not defending Robertson, I just want to know why it has been implied that he said something he didn't say. “Likened” does not mean “combined activity” does it?