Home General Discussion
Options

Weird Question

SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
I was sitting in my B&M yesterday lighting up a WOAM. You know the perfecto sized, closed foot with a tip on the foot. I know that's not the correct terminolgy......Anyone, Anyone, Kuzi, Anyone... As I was just lighting up normally, this loud fellow decided it would be a good idea to announce to the B&M that you are supposed to clip the tip of it off before lighting. I wanted to just tell him to stfu, but since I'm trying to be kindler & gentler in 2014 I listened to his loud and lengthy exposition on cutting this size. I even smiled and asked about the weather afterward. Well long story short...Are you supposed to cut the closed foot tip off these cigars?

Comments

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, the foot isn't actually closed, just very small. I don't clip it since I haven't had burn issues without doing so.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    That's guy is dumb...you did the right thing!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I don't clip it for those. But for truly closed feet(foots? closed-footed?) maybe a clip would be in order, but those are pretty few and far between. I think I remember Viaje doing one or something.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Correct answer is..."Cool story bro! Have you ever been shot?"
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done it both ways, depending on what I see as I look at the foot, and how I feel at the moment.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like these? These are called Salomons but are also considered figurados as well. (Correct me brothers if I am wrong.)

The foot isn't completely closed off. I don't think you are supposed to cut them but I have seen it done. It takes a lot of work to shape that foot. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't put all that work into it if they expected everybody to just chop it off?

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Hey, you're supposed to cut the end of the cigar before you light it!"
    Hey, you're supposed to keep your dumb mouth shut so I can enjoy this cigar in peace.
    Yup, that pretty much covers it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    All I wanna know is wtf is a WOAM..?
  • Options
    No_one21:
    Work of Art Maduro
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    Ty for asking cause I need to know too!
  • Options
    Arturo Fuente Hemingway - Work of Art, Maduro 4 7/8 x 56 Perfecto

It's not like I knew what it was either but I googled the crap out of it until I figured it out. LOL
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thehilk:
    No_one21:
    Work of art Maduro. Are these the hemingways?
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    TY guys. I've always just toasted it up like any other cigar & never gave it a 2nd thought before this happened. That's very close Bob, but on this particular cigar it is a very pronounced tip...I hate to say it..my cigar had a nipple on the end of it, but it really does.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I like that vitola because they are way easy to light.
  • Options
    Echambers:
    thehilk:
    No_one21:
    Work of art Maduro. Are these the hemingways?
    Yes, they are of the Hemingway persuasion. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Sasquatch:
    TY guys. I've always just toasted it up like any other cigar & never gave it a 2nd thought before this happened. That's very close Bob, but on this particular cigar it is a very pronounced tip...I hate to say it..my cigar had a nipple on the end of it, but it really does.
    Was it closed off? If I had one that was completely closed off I guess I'd cut it.
  • Options
    It's one of those shorties on the right.

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Sasquatch:
    Did you lick it?
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    It's one of those shorties on the right.

The WOA is in the middle with the pointed heads.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    i noticed this on the web
    http://bcove.me/2ye25e1h
    gets into the perfecto at 3:25, one guy lights it as is, and the other states he likes to cut it - just to open it up to get going faster, so personal choice
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    It isn't completely closed so if you clip it you're wasting part of a fantastic smoke. He's an idiot.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    "Hey, you're supposed to cut the end of the cigar before you light it!"
    Hey, you're supposed to keep your dumb mouth shut so I can enjoy this cigar in peace.
    Yup, that pretty much covers it.
    This is the direct version of what I was going for before, and probably the right answer for the situation given.

I've wondered if this style was developed back when one was likely to be plucking a coal out of a fire with a pair of tongs to light a cigar. Having done so while camping, I can say that it works, that you get a small area going and then bring your cigar to life without scorching the crap out of it.

Not an official answer, but it worked for me.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    bbass2:
    It isn't completely closed so if you clip it you're wasting part of a fantastic smoke. He's an idiot.
    +1 the beauty of the perfecto is how easily you can toast & light it. A great choice if you're going to be lighting up in windy conditions. I read somewhere that Hemingway liked perfectos when he was fishing because they were easy to light… urban myth??? You decide! duh duh duuuuhhhhnnnn...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    often times the louder and more boisterous people are, the more important they think they are.

it doesnt matter if you clip that tip off or not. if you can light your cigar and enjoy it, go for it.
    he is not the cigar police and should have kept his loud mouth shut.
  • Options
    That's your problem, you were concentratiing on the nipple of your cigar. You forgot the Weird Question??? lol
  • Options
    People don't normally bug me......for long. LOL!
    It was just such a weird thing & he was soo adamant about the issue. That's why I even brought it up. Etiquette wise, I'm sure I have trampled much worse ones than that.